General Question on DDR2 memory speed and also Dell 8400.

Had bad memory (pair) in Dell 8400. These were 256mb DDR2 333MHZ. Put
in a pair of 533mhz chips.

Will computer run at that slightly faster memory clock speed or
throttle down to the original 333mhz that was factory installed(but no
longer in machine??

Thanks,
Patty

pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
> Had bad memory (pair) in Dell 8400. These were 256mb DDR2 333MHZ. Put
> in a pair of 533mhz chips.
>
> Will computer run at that slightly faster memory clock speed or
> throttle down to the original 333mhz that was factory installed(but no
> longer in machine??
>

> Thanks,
> Patty

It should run at the 533Mhz as long as that is the only memory installed.
--

Joe Cilinceon

Under Device Manager I found the memory controller hub was a 925. The
system also does have PCI express.

Thanks, Patty

pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
> Had bad memory (pair) in Dell 8400. These were 256mb DDR2 333MHZ. Put
> in a pair of 533mhz chips.
>
> Will computer run at that slightly faster memory clock speed or
> throttle down to the original 333mhz that was factory installed(but no
> longer in machine??
>

> Thanks,
> Patty

What chipset does your motherboard use? It's probably safe to assume it
will run at the 533MHz speed if it's one of Intel's 9xx chipsets (PCI
Express ones), however I know at least for the 865 and 875 chipsets the
limit was 400 (PC3200).

I believe the front side bus is 800 MHZ. Can you mix speeds if you have
extra RAM? I do nto want to but since I bought 533mhz (only what the
store had), Dell may ship me 333 mhz chips......

Thanks,
Patty

pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
> Under Device Manager I found the memory controller hub was a 925. The
> system also does have PCI express.
>
> Thanks, Patty

Then I'd be willing to bet 533 ought to be fine, be sure to install in
pairs to access in DDR mode.

"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Under Device Manager I found the memory controller hub was a 925. The
>> system also does have PCI express.
>>
>> Thanks, Patty
>>
> Then I'd be willing to bet 533 ought to be fine, be sure to install in
> pairs to access in DDR mode.

Don't you have to match the memory to the FSB of the processor?

If the processor has a 533Mhz FSB then you use PC2-4200 (DDR2-533)

If the processor has an 800Mhz FSB then you usePC2-3200 (DDR2-400)

pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
> Had bad memory (pair) in Dell 8400. These were 256mb DDR2 333MHZ. Put
> in a pair of 533mhz chips.
>
> Will computer run at that slightly faster memory clock speed or
> throttle down to the original 333mhz that was factory installed(but no
> longer in machine??

If your 8400 is like mine (chipset = 925XE), it'll run at the faster
memory speed providing you have only the 533mhz memory in the machine.

When was your 8400 delivered? Mine was delivered 03/03/05 and had bad
memory as well (533mhz however).

My machine was a refurb unit I got off of Ebay. Still had 1 year
warranty. I assume it was purchased in February and I bought it in
March.

So think I can mix memory speeds without too much trouble and have
system downspeed and work properly? I cannot send back the memory to
Dell nor will they send me 533mhz. Obviously they only put in (or send)
what was in the original order.

I swore I would never buy a Dell due to all the problems I have seen by
home users. And I at least took a chance and proved it to myself.
Dumbass that I was.

they do note even give you the rails for the empty bays to put in other
drivesor floppy. You have to buy those from them separately.

Thanks, Patty

Chuckles The Scary Clown wrote:
> "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>Under Device Manager I found the memory controller hub was a 925. The
>>>system also does have PCI express.
>>>
>>>Thanks, Patty
>>>

>>Then I'd be willing to bet 533 ought to be fine, be sure to install in
>>pairs to access in DDR mode.
>

> Don't you have to match the memory to the FSB of the processor?
>
> If the processor has a 533Mhz FSB then you use PC2-4200 (DDR2-533)
>
> If the processor has an 800Mhz FSB then you usePC2-3200 (DDR2-400)

Although that's generally good to do in practice, I don't beleive it's
necessary. Also I was under the impression 533MHZ DDR2 is for 1066MHz
FSB (4 x 266), at least on desktops. To the original poster, this may
be worth looking into, I don't beleive there'd be any benefit in picking
up RAM that's faster than your FSB.

> Chuckles The Scary Clown wrote:
>> "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Then I'd be willing to bet 533 ought to be fine, be sure to install in
>>>pairs to access in DDR mode.
>>

>> Don't you have to match the memory to the FSB of the processor?
>>
>> If the processor has a 533Mhz FSB then you use PC2-4200 (DDR2-533)
>>
>> If the processor has an 800Mhz FSB then you usePC2-3200 (DDR2-400)
> Although that's generally good to do in practice, I don't beleive it's
> necessary. Also I was under the impression 533MHZ DDR2 is for 1066MHz FSB
> (4 x 266), at least on desktops. To the original poster, this may be
> worth looking into, I don't beleive there'd be any benefit in picking up
> RAM that's faster than your FSB.

The 1066mhz can't be fully utilized unless one is running an Intel EE
(extreme edition) CPU with the 925 XE chipset. While you can use that RAM
on the slower 925X board with the 800mhz FSB CPU, the RAM will default to
400mhz FSB speeds.

So, if there's a price difference between the 400mhz/533mhz DDR2, paying
more would be unnecessary.

Stew

"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Chuckles The Scary Clown wrote:
>> "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Then I'd be willing to bet 533 ought to be fine, be sure to install in
>>>pairs to access in DDR mode.
>>

>> Don't you have to match the memory to the FSB of the processor?
>>
>> If the processor has a 533Mhz FSB then you use PC2-4200 (DDR2-533)
>>
>> If the processor has an 800Mhz FSB then you usePC2-3200 (DDR2-400)
> Although that's generally good to do in practice, I don't beleive it's
> necessary. Also I was under the impression 533MHZ DDR2 is for 1066MHz FSB
> (4 x 266), at least on desktops. To the original poster, this may be
> worth looking into, I don't beleive there'd be any benefit in picking up
> RAM that's faster than your FSB.

Sorry, you're correct, my typo!

<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My machine was a refurb unit I got off of Ebay. Still had 1 year
> warranty. I assume it was purchased in February and I bought it in
> March.
>
> So think I can mix memory speeds without too much trouble and have
> system downspeed and work properly? I cannot send back the memory to
> Dell nor will they send me 533mhz. Obviously they only put in (or send)
> what was in the original order.
>
> I swore I would never buy a Dell due to all the problems I have seen by
> home users. And I at least took a chance and proved it to myself.
> Dumbass that I was.
>
> they do note even give you the rails for the empty bays to put in other
> drivesor floppy. You have to buy those from them separately.
>

> Thanks, Patty

Mixing the RAM shouldn't pose a problem if adding another matched pair.

The rails should be there. I had an 8400 here just last week with the usual
extra pair of drive rails - though the system was ordered with a floppy.

If I were in your shoes I'd call either tech or customer service and ask
that they expedite the rails to you. I assume you know where they are (or
should be ) located in and around the hard drive cage.

Stew

<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My machine was a refurb unit I got off of Ebay. Still had 1 year
> warranty. I assume it was purchased in February and I bought it in
> March.
>
> So think I can mix memory speeds without too much trouble and have
> system downspeed and work properly? I cannot send back the memory to
> Dell nor will they send me 533mhz. Obviously they only put in (or send)
> what was in the original order.
>
> I swore I would never buy a Dell due to all the problems I have seen by
> home users. And I at least took a chance and proved it to myself.
> Dumbass that I was.
>
> they do note even give you the rails for the empty bays to put in other
> drivesor floppy. You have to buy those from them separately.
>

> Thanks, Patty

....Oh, additionally (if I understand the problem correctly) :

One easy way to identify a system with the Intel EE CPU is by the Intel
sticker on the front of the case. If EE, it will have a black stripe on the
edge of the sticker with the letters EE or words "extreme edition" on
it.(and the 1066 FSB, 533mhz DDR 2). If the Intel sticker does not have
that but only the red "HT" (hyperthreading) markings, then the CPU is an
800mhz FSB model. It would stand to reason that the matching DDR2 would be
400mhz.

You can also F2 into BIOS and read the entries under "CPU information" and
"Memory information". Write that down and post it back here.

I have never seen an 8400 with 333mhz DDR 2, and I don't even know that DDR
2 exists at those slower speeds.

Stew

ricardo

pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
> Had bad memory (pair) in Dell 8400. These were 256mb DDR2 333MHZ. Put
> in a pair of 533mhz chips.
>
> Will computer run at that slightly faster memory clock speed or
> throttle down to the original 333mhz that was factory installed(but no
> longer in machine??
>

> Thanks,
> Patty

I can't understand how come your 8400 came with the 333Mhz memory chips
in the first place. I thought all Dell 8400 came with 533Mhz as
standard. ricardo

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Had bad memory (pair) in Dell 8400. These were 256mb DDR2 333MHZ. Put
>> in a pair of 533mhz chips.
>>
>> Will computer run at that slightly faster memory clock speed or
>> throttle down to the original 333mhz that was factory installed(but no
>> longer in machine??
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Patty
>>
> I can't understand how come your 8400 came with the 333Mhz memory chips in
> the first place. I thought all Dell 8400 came with 533Mhz as standard.
> ricardo

It didn't. It came with either 400mhz or 533mhz DIMMs.

Stew

ricardo wrote:
> pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Had bad memory (pair) in Dell 8400. These were 256mb DDR2 333MHZ. Put
>> in a pair of 533mhz chips.
>>
>> Will computer run at that slightly faster memory clock speed or
>> throttle down to the original 333mhz that was factory installed(but no
>> longer in machine??
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Patty
>>
> I can't understand how come your 8400 came with the 333Mhz memory chips
> in the first place. I thought all Dell 8400 came with 533Mhz as
> standard. ricardo

No, it's a configuration option (check under Memory):

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=D84F1&s=dhs&m_1=S630H&m_11=WHXP&m_6=X300SE&m_3=512M4&m_8=80S&m_5=E173FPP&m_16=DV16DVP&m_22=CORELM&m_29=S111OS

<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My machine was a refurb unit I got off of Ebay. Still had 1 year
> warranty. I assume it was purchased in February and I bought it in
> March.
>
> So think I can mix memory speeds without too much trouble and have
> system downspeed and work properly? I cannot send back the memory to
> Dell nor will they send me 533mhz. Obviously they only put in (or send)
> what was in the original order.
>
> I swore I would never buy a Dell due to all the problems I have seen by
> home users. And I at least took a chance and proved it to myself.
> Dumbass that I was.
>
> they do note even give you the rails for the empty bays to put in other
> drivesor floppy. You have to buy those from them separately.
>

> Thanks, Patty

Might I suggest you download Everest from

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

This will give you a comprehensive breakdown of the components in your
system and will enable you to decide what you should do next.

Thanks all. I ordered the rails from Dell (free). Funny how they do not
include them.

The Intel chip is a P4 HT 3.0hgz. Not an E chip or EE.

Yup the system came with 333mhz (sorry if I wrote 266 earlier) DDR2
chips. They were bad and I could not wait so I bought 533mhz chips.
Dell will now ship me whenever a new set of the 333 since that is what
came with the machine.

The FSB is 800mhz from what I know

Thanks all
Patty

> Thanks all. I ordered the rails from Dell (free). Funny how they do not
> include them.
>
> The Intel chip is a P4 HT 3.0hgz. Not an E chip or EE.
>
> Yup the system came with 333mhz (sorry if I wrote 266 earlier) DDR2
> chips. They were bad and I could not wait so I bought 533mhz chips.
> Dell will now ship me whenever a new set of the 333 since that is what
> came with the machine.
>
> The FSB is 800mhz from what I know
>

> Thanks all
> Patty

There is no DDR 2 333mhz.

Please post the label information from either of your DIMMs to confirm the
correct speed.

Stew