coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
I donno what i did to deserve this, ever since i install my new Xaser 3 case and ANTEC P/S it has been doing this.
I can't shutdown and i don't know the cause, this is what i have done

Switch back to the old P/S

Ran Ramtest86

took apart all the wires and reconnected them

Repair Windows XP

try all those shutdown problem solutions

Scream at it

Threaten to trash it

It's just not working. When i select shut down from Windows XP it will freeze at "windows in shutting down your computer" and the North Bridge fan and CPU fan will stop along with HDD DVD, CD-RW but everything just keep on going and it won't stop until i switch off the main power and it is driving me crazy......... will someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the
Asus A7M266
PNY Verto Geforce 4 Ti4200 AGP
Athlon 1.4 t-bird
512mb OCZ Rev3.2 PC2700 ram
THERMALTAKE Xaser 3 2000a
Antec TrueBlue 480

Its probably a CMOS setting causing it, clear the CMOS and reset it to the default settings, reset the date and time, reenable or disable the periferals you were or were not using, don't do any tweaking yet, and let it boot in the default settings mode, and see if it shuts down, if it does, then the CMOS settings will require slow testing, to find out what setting actually caused the problem.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Are you sure no part of the mobo is shorting to the case?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Shutdown problems in Windows can be really frustrating, because there are so many things that can cause them. I find it strange that yours started when you swapped cases... That's all you did? It doesn't make a lot of sense. Usually, shutdown problems are related to some software change.

I guess the only two thing's I'd recommend is go through your case to motherboard connectors to ensure you have everything on the right pins. It's really easy to get one off and that might cause this strange behavior. The other thing is to re-flash the BIOS (since you've already tried clearing it, right?)

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
What I mean is are any of the mounting posts touching any components on the motherboard. Since you stated that you had just got a new case, I guessed it could be something to do with the way the motherboard is mounted rather than software.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
try a different stick of ram.. why do you have that fast ram for a 1.4 tbird?:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rcj187 on 04/30/03 01:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Have you tried selecting PIC instead of APIC in the POWER menu of your BIOS ? Also, you should disable PLUG & PLAY OS, it should be listed in the same menu.

Fok Speling Misstake

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
He should also make sure none of his hardware devices are listed as disabled (with an icon such as an explanation point next to it) when viewed from the control panel. That can frequently cause problems shutting down.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Try removing everything from teh case and starting the computer up. Remember to use anti-static bags to play the mobo on when you start it up and make sure not to shock anything and ground yourself.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
BUMP!!!

i need feed back to this question!!! i'm thinking it's the mobo that's broken does anyone else agree??

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
ya.... i tried that.... I saw two buldged-top capacitors on my mobo, could it be those??

120% nVidia Fanboy

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yes...consider that board toast...cap dammage of any kind will cripple a board

If i put my k6 in a Ferrari it would be faster than your your pentium 4 or Athlon XP :tongue:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
does that mean..... OMFG I AM GOING TO GET RID OF MY BLOCK HEATER

I'm gonna miss him soo much
the overheating days......

120% nVidia Fanboy