Dell Certified Systems Expert

I am not interested in servicing other people's computers, but I do enjoy
computers as a hobby.

Dell offers a self-study course for Associate-level DCSE training. If anyone
has taken this course (or the classroom version of same), can you tell me
what it covers? Do you suppose it would be interesting to a hobbyist with a
geek streak?

Ted Zieglar

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

I have Ted,as an employeee we have to take them, they cover all current
models and you have to take each exam each year to stay Certified. The exams
themselves are fairly straight forward and cover all aspects of stripping
down the machines as well as hardware configuration
>I am not interested in servicing other people's computers, but I do enjoy
> computers as a hobby.
>
> Dell offers a self-study course for Associate-level DCSE training. If
> anyone
> has taken this course (or the classroom version of same), can you tell me
> what it covers? Do you suppose it would be interesting to a hobbyist with
> geek streak?
>
> Ted Zieglar

Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't be interested in the certification
actually, just the education. If it teaches about "stripping down the
machines as well as hardware configuration" that sounds like something I
might really enjoy. I'm doing this for the pure fun of learning, and since I
plan to stick with Dell computers in the future, it could help me learn
about my computer.

Ted Zieglar

"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have Ted,as an employeee we have to take them, they cover all current
>models and you have to take each exam each year to stay Certified. The
>exams themselves are fairly straight forward and cover all aspects of
>stripping down the machines as well as hardware configuration
>>I am not interested in servicing other people's computers, but I do enjoy
>> computers as a hobby.
>>
>> Dell offers a self-study course for Associate-level DCSE training. If
>> anyone
>> has taken this course (or the classroom version of same), can you tell me
>> what it covers? Do you suppose it would be interesting to a hobbyist with
>> geek streak?
>>
>> Ted Zieglar

Ted,

Consider the A+ program. I think it will be more useful.

Tom
> Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't be interested in the certification
> actually, just the education. If it teaches about "stripping down the
> machines as well as hardware configuration" that sounds like something I
> might really enjoy. I'm doing this for the pure fun of learning, and since
> I plan to stick with Dell computers in the future, it could help me learn
> about my computer.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>I have Ted,as an employeee we have to take them, they cover all current
>>models and you have to take each exam each year to stay Certified. The
>>exams themselves are fairly straight forward and cover all aspects of
>>stripping down the machines as well as hardware configuration
>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am not interested in servicing other people's computers, but I do enjoy
>>> computers as a hobby.
>>>
>>> Dell offers a self-study course for Associate-level DCSE training. If
>>> anyone
>>> has taken this course (or the classroom version of same), can you tell
>>> me
>>> what it covers? Do you suppose it would be interesting to a hobbyist
>>> with a
>>> geek streak?
>>>
>>> Ted Zieglar

"The A+ program"...I'm not familiar with it. Is it sponsored by Dell
(forgive my ignorance) and could you post a URL for it?

Ted Zieglar

> Ted,
>
> Consider the A+ program. I think it will be more useful.
>
> Tom
>> Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't be interested in the certification
>> actually, just the education. If it teaches about "stripping down the
>> machines as well as hardware configuration" that sounds like something I
>> might really enjoy. I'm doing this for the pure fun of learning, and
>> since I plan to stick with Dell computers in the future, it could help me
>> learn about my computer.
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>I have Ted,as an employeee we have to take them, they cover all current
>>>models and you have to take each exam each year to stay Certified. The
>>>exams themselves are fairly straight forward and cover all aspects of
>>>stripping down the machines as well as hardware configuration
>>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message

Ted,

The A+ Certification program teaches you to repair almost any computer.
Everything from ribbon cables to power supplies and just about everything in
between.

Your local Vo-Tech school, or Career & Technology center should offer an
on-line course.

Here's an example form one here in central PA.

http://www.ed2go.com/cgi-bin/newoic/newofferings.cgi?name=gactc&dept=CC

Joe

> "The A+ program"...I'm not familiar with it. Is it sponsored by Dell
> (forgive my ignorance) and could you post a URL for it?
>
> Ted Zieglar

>> Ted,
>>
>> Consider the A+ program. I think it will be more useful.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't be interested in the certification
>>> actually, just the education. If it teaches about "stripping down the
>>> machines as well as hardware configuration" that sounds like something I
>>> might really enjoy. I'm doing this for the pure fun of learning, and
>>> since I plan to stick with Dell computers in the future, it could help
>>> me learn about my computer.
>>>
>>> Ted Zieglar
>>>
>>> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Very cool. Thanks to Steve and joe.

Ted Zieglar

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Ted,
>
> The A+ Certification program teaches you to repair almost any computer.
> Everything from ribbon cables to power supplies and just about everything
> in between.
>
> Your local Vo-Tech school, or Career & Technology center should offer an
> on-line course.
>
> Here's an example form one here in central PA.
>
> http://www.ed2go.com/cgi-bin/newoic/newofferings.cgi?name=gactc&dept=CC
>
> Joe

>> "The A+ program"...I'm not familiar with it. Is it sponsored by Dell
>> (forgive my ignorance) and could you post a URL for it?
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>> Ted,
>>>
>>> Consider the A+ program. I think it will be more useful.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message

Just out of mind curiousity, what does Dell charge for the DCSE courses? As an
independent service provider, what benefit is there to me? I already rip apart
just about any type of Dell computer (except notebooks which require more TLC)
with my bare hands blindfolded, and get them back together again... Ben Myers

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:59:57 +0100, "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I have Ted,as an employeee we have to take them, they cover all current
>models and you have to take each exam each year to stay Certified. The exams
>themselves are fairly straight forward and cover all aspects of stripping
>down the machines as well as hardware configuration
>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am not interested in servicing other people's computers, but I do enjoy
>> computers as a hobby.
>>
>> Dell offers a self-study course for Associate-level DCSE training. If
>> anyone
>> has taken this course (or the classroom version of same), can you tell me
>> what it covers? Do you suppose it would be interesting to a hobbyist with
>> geek streak?
>>
>> Ted Zieglar

Ben Myers posted for all of us...

> Just out of mind curiousity, what does Dell charge for the DCSE courses? As an
> independent service provider, what benefit is there to me? I already rip apart
> just about any type of Dell computer (except notebooks which require more TLC)
> with my bare hands blindfolded, and get them back together again... Ben Myers

IIRC last year they were about $180. I got a notice the price is going up
in May.

For us it's very easy parts access.
--

Tekkie

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

I think its about $500 per exam but dont quote me on it as the company pays
for ours

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

>Just out of mind curiousity, what does Dell charge for the DCSE courses? As an
>independent service provider, what benefit is there to me? I already rip apart
>just about any type of Dell computer (except notebooks which require more TLC)
>with my bare hands blindfolded, and get them back together again... Ben Myers

Remember, the OP's request was in terms of /learning/ to do what
you are already doing with your bare hands and blindfolded.

Someone else has already replied with a, maybe outdated, figure
of $180 for the course(s).

Back in the BODD, and into the early Win era, I went through a
real h/w geek spell, and there were a /lot/ of readily available,
relatively cheap books out there that, as long as you kept up
with current info from Byte/PC Mag/et al, you could learn how to
"rip apart [computers] with your bare hands blindfolded", and
even how to put the together, either from scratch or back. ;->.
[One of the main ones from that era sticks, dimly, in my mind as
"How to Upgrade and Repair Your PC" or somesuch.]

Alas, not all of us are fitted for unstructured learning of this
sort, either at all or for a given area. I did fine with
computer stuff, but I learned long ago that if I were ever going
to do car stuff for fun, I'd need a lot of instruction/classes.
For those, this Dell thing, at under $200 might be just the
thing.

I'd also suggest that the OP, presuming he lives in a reasonably
large metro sort of area, check out local colleges, HS adult ed
programs, or city/town/county run programs [Alexandria VA's Dept
of Recreation offers a number of computer courses for its
residents at nominal cost]. Again in the DC area, the Capital PC
User Group offers a lot of courses to their members, including a
paired "Before you Buy or Build" course on the basics, followed
by a "Build Your Own" workshop where instructors/volunteers help
you build if you decided on Build.

Like so much else in the world, there are so many different ways
to learn computer basics because there are so many different ways
folks learn thing best. However trite, "different strokes for
different folks" is an axiom on so much of life.
--
OJ III

Agree with all you said. But I'll repeat: " As an independent service provider,
what benefit, if any, is there to me from a DCSE course?"

At lot of my unstructured work was under the auspices of PC Labs, PC Magazine,
PC Week, and Ziff-Davis Labs, back in the day when printed computer media was
king, Computer Shopper and PC Magazine ran 500 or 600 pages per issue, and many
companies ran a lot of printed ads. Back in the days before the internet became
king. A great learning environment, and with pay and generous expenses, too.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:57:59 -0500, Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>Just out of mind curiousity, what does Dell charge for the DCSE courses? As an
>>independent service provider, what benefit is there to me? I already rip apart
>>just about any type of Dell computer (except notebooks which require more TLC)
>>with my bare hands blindfolded, and get them back together again... Ben Myers
>
>Remember, the OP's request was in terms of /learning/ to do what
>you are already doing with your bare hands and blindfolded.
>
>Someone else has already replied with a, maybe outdated, figure
>of $180 for the course(s).
>
>Back in the BODD, and into the early Win era, I went through a
>real h/w geek spell, and there were a /lot/ of readily available,
>relatively cheap books out there that, as long as you kept up
>with current info from Byte/PC Mag/et al, you could learn how to
>"rip apart [computers] with your bare hands blindfolded", and
>even how to put the together, either from scratch or back. ;->.
>[One of the main ones from that era sticks, dimly, in my mind as
>"How to Upgrade and Repair Your PC" or somesuch.]
>
>Alas, not all of us are fitted for unstructured learning of this
>sort, either at all or for a given area. I did fine with
>computer stuff, but I learned long ago that if I were ever going
>to do car stuff for fun, I'd need a lot of instruction/classes.
>For those, this Dell thing, at under $200 might be just the
>thing.
>
>I'd also suggest that the OP, presuming he lives in a reasonably
>large metro sort of area, check out local colleges, HS adult ed
>programs, or city/town/county run programs [Alexandria VA's Dept
>of Recreation offers a number of computer courses for its
>residents at nominal cost]. Again in the DC area, the Capital PC
>User Group offers a lot of courses to their members, including a
>paired "Before you Buy or Build" course on the basics, followed
>by a "Build Your Own" workshop where instructors/volunteers help
>you build if you decided on Build.
>
>Like so much else in the world, there are so many different ways
>to learn computer basics because there are so many different ways
>folks learn thing best. However trite, "different strokes for
>different folks" is an axiom on so much of life.
>--
>OJ III
>[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
>Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

From a business point of view:

In looking for new business, there may be some companies who would go
for a tech who had those 4 letters on his/her proposal over one who did
not have them.

Dell does have "some" proprietary stuff loaded into their systems.
Someone with DCSE "training" may have some additional insight as to what
is Dell and what is generic.

HTH

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Ben Myers wrote:
> [...]
>>programs, or city/town/county run programs [Alexandria VA's Dept
>>of Recreation offers a number of computer courses for its
>>residents at nominal cost]. Again in the DC area, the Capital PC
>>User Group offers a lot of courses to their members, including a
>>paired "Before you Buy or Build" course on the basics, followed
>>by a "Build Your Own" workshop where instructors/volunteers help
>>you build if you decided on Build.
>>
>>Like so much else in the world, there are so many different ways
>>to learn computer basics because there are so many different ways
>>folks learn thing best. However trite, "different strokes for
>>different folks" is an axiom on so much of life.
>>--
>>OJ III
>>[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
>>Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

Agreed. This is the same argument put forward for spending even more bucks on
Novell Certification (way back when) and Microsoft Certification. To be a
certified Novell something-or-other meant a lot fifteen years ago, because
Netware was a complicated command-oriented mess to configure and use. Microsoft
certifications are of far more dubious value until one gets into the nitty
gritties of all the various members of its server family. There's not much that
being a Microsoft-certified software tech can do for me except make me poorer.
Microsoft does deserve some grudging credit from this corner for simplifying the
configuration and use of computers running Windows. (I still take strong
exception to the unbelievably complicated and convoluted way Micro$oft has
achieved this ease of use, and their blithering incompetence in the areas of
system security and reliability.)

Likewise, the lack of a DCSE has not inhibited me at all in troubleshooting,
repairing, finding spare parts, upgrading or doing anything else to Dell
desktop, workstation and server computers, including identification of what is
proprietary and what is not. After having built and repaired countless
computers over the last decade plus, it is not rocket science to see what is
proprietary hardware and what is not. I can only do some basic work on Dell
notebooks, but I have not tried to field strip them and put them back together.
Dell deserves exceptional credit for having first rate user guides and service
manuals on its web site for virtually every computer they've sold. Availability
of this info makes maintenance of Dell hardware pretty easy in the event that
the solution is not intuitively obvious without reading anything.

I guess I'll remain mindful of the availability of DCSE and see whether any of
my current or prospective clients require the paper credential for me to do work
for them. So far, nobody has... Ben Myers

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:18:51 GMT, Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>>programs, or city/town/county run programs [Alexandria VA's Dept
>>>of Recreation offers a number of computer courses for its
>>>residents at nominal cost]. Again in the DC area, the Capital PC
>>>User Group offers a lot of courses to their members, including a
>>>paired "Before you Buy or Build" course on the basics, followed
>>>by a "Build Your Own" workshop where instructors/volunteers help
>>>you build if you decided on Build.
>>>
>>>Like so much else in the world, there are so many different ways
>>>to learn computer basics because there are so many different ways
>>>folks learn thing best. However trite, "different strokes for
>>>different folks" is an axiom on so much of life.
>>>--
>>>OJ III
>>>[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
>>>Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

I agree, Ben. With all due respect to Dell, certification sounds like
something you get so that you can advertise that you have been 'certified by
Dell'. If you want to attract retail business it might be an advantage.

Ted Zieglar

Ben Myers wrote:
> Agreed. This is the same argument put forward for spending even more bucks on
> Novell Certification (way back when) and Microsoft Certification. To be a
> certified Novell something-or-other meant a lot fifteen years ago, because
> Netware was a complicated command-oriented mess to configure and use. Microsoft
> certifications are of far more dubious value until one gets into the nitty
> gritties of all the various members of its server family. There's not much that
> being a Microsoft-certified software tech can do for me except make me poorer.
> Microsoft does deserve some grudging credit from this corner for simplifying the
> configuration and use of computers running Windows. (I still take strong
> exception to the unbelievably complicated and convoluted way Micro$oft has
> achieved this ease of use, and their blithering incompetence in the areas of
> system security and reliability.)

"Designed BY hackers FOR hackers!"

What I think MS's mottoe should be.

I deal a lot with small to medium businesses and SOHO owners. None of them seem
to get wrapped around the axle about any sort of certification. All they want
is to get results.

On the other hand, if a DCSE would get warranty service work thrown in his
direction with a reasonable pay rate, then the sheepskin would be worth
something. I do not think that is the case, so I'll blunder ahead blindly on my
own. As it is, I do enough service work on Dell systems under warranty, because
my customers trust me and I do not let them down... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> I deal a lot with small to medium businesses and SOHO owners. None of them seem
> to get wrapped around the axle about any sort of certification. All they want
> is to get results.
>
> On the other hand, if a DCSE would get warranty service work thrown in his
> direction with a reasonable pay rate, then the sheepskin would be worth
> something. I do not think that is the case, so I'll blunder ahead blindly on my
> own. As it is, I do enough service work on Dell systems under warranty, because
> my customers trust me and I do not let them down... Ben Myers

Years ago (1968-69) the DPMA was trying to start a program to certify
programmers a la the CPA. I took the test and got my "CDP" (Certified
Data Processor) in '69 - was not asked about it even once thru my
retirement in May, 2002.

Sparky Spartacus <Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>> I deal a lot with small to medium businesses and SOHO owners. None of them seem
>> to get wrapped around the axle about any sort of certification. All they want
>> is to get results.
>>
>> On the other hand, if a DCSE would get warranty service work thrown in his
>> direction with a reasonable pay rate, then the sheepskin would be worth
>> something. I do not think that is the case, so I'll blunder ahead blindly on my
>> own. As it is, I do enough service work on Dell systems under warranty, because
>> my customers trust me and I do not let them down... Ben Myers

>Years ago (1968-69) the DPMA was trying to start a program to certify
>programmers a la the CPA. I took the test and got my "CDP" (Certified
>Data Processor) in '69 - was not asked about it even once thru my
>retirement in May, 2002.

As the one who seems to have sparked this subthread, let me again
clarify that I was speaking/typing in terms of the OP's query,
which was in terms of would the DCSE course work be worthwhile in
terms of learning Dell computers, and by extension, computers in
general for his own personal benefit. I was apparently too
subtle in confirming Ben's observation that it was probably a
useless exercise in his situation, and useful, as he says above,
mostly for people looking to "... get warranty service work
thrown in [their] direction ...."

I was merely using Ben's post as a jumping point to explore what
appears to be the OP's desire to move to a higher level of
personal computer geekiness, at least as far as hardware goes,
and not move into the professional computer techie arena. ;->

To repeat what I was trying to convey earlier, some people are
comfortable with the "on the job" approach, using books and
hands-on tinkering; while others prefer a more formal, structured
approach. Depending on what the DCSE course work covers [and I
haven't explored it on the Dell web site], at $180 it isn't too
expensive an alternative for the latter group. But I also
pointed out some possibilities for less expensive, or sometimes
even free/materials only, alternatives for that structured
learning.
--
OJ III