Hp pavilion g7 - restore

carol clark

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Hello,
My laptop was hacked into on February 11 of this year, with a listening program installed and general chaos in operating functions. The restore function appears to be blocked. The hacker is evil - I have been receiving threatening photos and transfer to very dark websites which I would never look for. HELP. I might add I am not very computer literate. carol

At this point you may have to take drastic measures and delete your OS and reload it. If your laptop didn't come with a seperate disc for repair or the OS then it has that in a hidden partition on the hard drive.
However to be perfectly honest with you I woudn't trust anything on that computer at the present time and I would get in touch with customer service and request a cd be sent to you with the OS on it and reload the OS from the disc. Because the computer was hacked you don't know the extent of the damage. I would also get a better antivirus and internet security program and also get a router. All of these things will help in preventing a similar incident from happening again. You will also have to change all you passwords if you haven't done that already and when typing in passwords on a computer always use the virtual keyboard. It's in the start menu in accessories and the ease of use folder and it's called on screen keyboard , by useing it a keylogger will only record mouse clicks and not the actual letters. You will also need to keep better security habits and protect your information.

Easiest initial fix is to try to restore to Factory Settings as inzone suggests, it only entails tapping F11 when you power on and follow the on-screen instructions. If that fails then the only recourse is to format the drive and start from fresh...you'll get plenty help with that from Tom's if needed...

carol clark

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012

Thanks for your most helpful response. I am following your advice. I'll post if it works. Here's hoping.