MN700 Hardware dead?

Hi there,

In my last trip to EEUU I bought the MN700. Tested it on
the hotel, and worked jaust fine.

Back home, I bought another power source, as locally we
use 220v instead of 110v. So i bought another 220v-12v,
1A adapter, with the same pinout that the original (I
don't like to buy 220v-110v adapters, as that requires to
keep plugging the original adapter as well).

When I plugged it at home with this new adapter, it won't
work. I just got the four eth lights green (no blink),
and that's it. Sometimes, it may show the yellow light as
if it was booting, but it never turned to green.

Now it doesn't do even that. It doesn't shows any light
at all.

Does anyone had an experience like that? Is there a fuse
or something inside that I may had burned?

Thx you all,
GHR

The symptoms could as well point to an adapter not
generating enough power...

Did you get the right polarity on the adapter (the +/- on
the pin)?

Can you test the AC/DC adapter first and check if it's not
dead or not generating enough power? Or maybe not
generating enough power under load... This is easier than
opening the MN700 (and void the license)

joker

Well since you are not in the USA or Canada Microsoft Technical support
will not even talk to you. As the router in only sold in the USA &
Canada. We only use 110 Volts here. It does sound like you didn't
check both the voltage & Amperage on the output of the MN-700.

GHR wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> In my last trip to EEUU I bought the MN700. Tested it on
> the hotel, and worked jaust fine.
>
> Back home, I bought another power source, as locally we
> use 220v instead of 110v. So i bought another 220v-12v,
> 1A adapter, with the same pinout that the original (I
> don't like to buy 220v-110v adapters, as that requires to
> keep plugging the original adapter as well).
>
> When I plugged it at home with this new adapter, it won't
> work. I just got the four eth lights green (no blink),
> and that's it. Sometimes, it may show the yellow light as
> if it was booting, but it never turned to green.
>
> Now it doesn't do even that. It doesn't shows any light
> at all.
>
> Does anyone had an experience like that? Is there a fuse
> or something inside that I may had burned?
>
> Thx you all,
> GHR

I checked the voltage for the new adapter, and it worked
fine. Also I check the polarity of the pin conector to
match the MN700.

Even more, I bought a 220v - 110v adapter, and plugged
the original to (so I have a chain of 220v - 110v -
12vDC), and it doesn't work either.

I narrowed down the non power symptoms to a strange fuse
inside the MN700 (as I have no guarantee, I opened
it :)). But once I fix that, I'm still getting the 4 eth
leds green, and nothing else (no blinking, no power led,
no yellow led, no nothing). That sounds to me as a post
error, but I have no clue about what kind of error. Do
you now of any documentation about what those leds mean?
(besides what comes with the mn700 itself, that aren't
helpfull at all for this).

BTW, the MN700 has two diodes just after the fuse, to
protect itself about wron polarity in the power source.
So I didn't broke it by having the wrong polarity (I'm
sure I had it right, but the diodes confirm me it won't
affect them).

Ths for yuor reply.

I narrowed down the non power symptoms to a strange fuse
inside the MN700 (as I have no guarantee, I opened
it :)). But once I fix that, I'm still getting the 4 eth
leds green, and nothing else (no blinking, no power led,
no yellow led, no nothing). That sounds to me as a post
error, but I have no clue about what kind of error. Do
you now of any documentation about what those leds mean?
(besides what comes with the mn700 itself, that aren't
helpfull at all for this).

I did checked the polarity of the pin in the new adapter.
Even so, the MN700 has two diodes just after the fuse, to
protect itself about wrong polarity in the power source.
So I didn't broke it by having the wrong polarity (I'm
sure I had it right, but the diodes confirm me it won't
affect them).

I also checked the voltage for the new adapter, and it
worked fine (220v-12vDC, 1A).

Even more, I bought a 220v - 110v adapter (4A), and
plugged the original to it (so I have a chain of 220v -
110v - 12vDC), and it doesn't work either. Still getting
the four eth leds green and nothing more. Tried to reset
it with the blue button, sema thing.

Any clue or pointer to what the four leds may mean?

Cs

First, are you sure you replaced a fuse? You say it's a "strange fuse".
How do you know it's a fuse? Assuming you're correct:

If the fuse inside of the MN 700 was blown, then it's fairly obvious there
was either a short or overload of some sort which caused the fuse to burn
out. The adaptor you purchased (220V to 12V 1A) may have overloaded the
internal power input of the MN 700 causing the fuse to burn out. The
original AC - DC adaptor for the MN 700 is rated at 120V, 1000MA (1A) and 60
Hz. Just because the output appears to be the same for both adaptors, that
may not necessarily be true.

Most countries outside of the US and Canada that use 220V house power also
use 50 Hz. I'm not sure if that would make any difference (probably not
unless it was a timing device) but I know from experience when traveling
outside the US, strange things happen to electronic devices when the correct
voltage/current/frequency is not used.

I would guess (and it's just a guess) that something has suffered damage
internally to the MN 700. If the power LED is not on and the four output
LEDs are glowing green, that indicates that some power is entering the unit.
Unless you know how to repair the MN 700 and can replace damaged parts, you
probably have a dead base station.

"GHR" <ghrizzi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I checked the voltage for the new adapter, and it worked
> fine. Also I check the polarity of the pin conector to
> match the MN700.
>
> Even more, I bought a 220v - 110v adapter, and plugged
> the original to (so I have a chain of 220v - 110v -
> 12vDC), and it doesn't work either.
>
> I narrowed down the non power symptoms to a strange fuse
> inside the MN700 (as I have no guarantee, I opened
> it :)). But once I fix that, I'm still getting the 4 eth
> leds green, and nothing else (no blinking, no power led,
> no yellow led, no nothing). That sounds to me as a post
> error, but I have no clue about what kind of error. Do
> you now of any documentation about what those leds mean?
> (besides what comes with the mn700 itself, that aren't
> helpfull at all for this).
>
> BTW, the MN700 has two diodes just after the fuse, to
> protect itself about wron polarity in the power source.
> So I didn't broke it by having the wrong polarity (I'm
> sure I had it right, but the diodes confirm me it won't
> affect them).

Thx CS for your reply.
You can see what I call a fuse here
(http://ghrizzi.freeservers.com/circuito.jpg). I've
reading a little bit after my last post, and I'm not 100%
it's a fuse now.......but I'm not sure is something else
either :S

I may have blown something more inside the MN700, but
before giving up, I would like to verify that those 4
green leds don't represent an error code. I've trying to
look around to see if I find something about it, but
nothing shows up. Do you know where I can find more info
on the electronics of the MN700?

Thx,
GHR

Cs

Hi GHR:

Well, it's definitely a fuse. (I just saw the JPG) That almost certainly
means an overload of some sort occurred. By the way, how did you find a
replacement for it or did you just jumper another fuse around it?

As for the four LEDs glowing green, I'm not sure if that represents an error
code or whether it means that some small amount of current is entering the
unit causing them to glow. Probably something else within the MN 700 is
damaged and it may be difficult to find without some sort of technical data.

If you can determine who manufactured the MN 700 for Microsoft, you may be
able to gain access to a schematic or troubleshooting guide. According to
information on the box, the MN 700 base station was made in China. I don't
even know where to start looking. Possibly try to use a search engine like
Google to find information if any is available.

One problem you may run into - The MN 700 contains ROM (stores firmware) and
if that has been damaged, the unit is probably beyond any kind of economical
repair. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Regards.

> Thx CS for your reply.
> You can see what I call a fuse here
> (http://ghrizzi.freeservers.com/circuito.jpg). I've
> reading a little bit after my last post, and I'm not 100%
> it's a fuse now.......but I'm not sure is something else
> either :S
>
> I may have blown something more inside the MN700, but
> before giving up, I would like to verify that those 4
> green leds don't represent an error code. I've trying to
> look around to see if I find something about it, but
> nothing shows up. Do you know where I can find more info
> on the electronics of the MN700?
>
> Thx,
> GHR

Unfortunately, I don't know what the lights mean in this
situation -- maybe someone from MS can help here (hello,
anyone?! ^_^)

The "fuse" doesn't look like a fuse to me either, although
anything that burns out when overpowered could be used as
"fuse" -- I often saw resistors being used this way (but
that doesn't look like a resistor). Could it be a diode?
How many legs does it has? Is it in series with the input
power, or between power and ground? Is it the first circuit
after power in?

Do you have a signature in the circuit board (like made
in)? Or any unique chips with codes on them? You may want
to search for these to try to figure out the schematics (or
compatible -- read similar -- hardware). You may also be
able to identify the power pins (then you can verify if the
circuits are getting power -- and if the power circuits are
working).

BTW, the firmware is probably in an EPROM (hopefully with a
boot loader in ROM). Be careful to not apply voltage to the
EPROM, since some of the pins enable writing/erasing the EPROM.