NTinstallation error"Missing Operating Error"HELP

kyro

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2002
Of all the Os's; NT is the least one i have installed. but this is Unusual. I have to install NT Works on a P-4 1.5 Ghz, jetway 845 MB(onboard SavageDDR Vga), 128 mb SD-ram, 40 GB Samsung. below is the the synopsis of my installation procedure.

Boot fresh from 98 bootable (with CD ROM Support).
run A:\fdisk. enter No for large disk support (so the drive created r/is FAT 16 for NT).
Create primary drive(2 gb). Make it active Reboot to apply changes.
Format C:(the drive is formatted in Fat 16).
got to A:\; type smartdrv and enter
Got to CD rom(D:\) and change dir to i386 (d:\i386)
type lock c: (i.e- D:\i386\LOCK C: )
enter Y
goto d:\i386
type- winnt /b
Let the installation continue then all the usual thing happens(Select drive C, Do you wanna convert to NTFS, Etc. ETC).
Until this point the Installation is called "Dos-Mode-Installation". All setup files are copied to drive and then the machines reboots. Now on rebooting setup should enter in GUi mode. but in my case the error shows up "Missing operating System".
Booting from NT CD and floppies causes the same problem.
I have tried everything , changed ram, changed motherboard, got a TNT-32 MB AGP. But the problem just persists.

BTW i sucessfully installed Win98 on the same system .and formatted it.

Does any body knows the solution.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kyro on 08/28/02 12:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kyro

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2002
whenever i encounter setup error i always check for "partition active"; BTW if you go again and read the saga above u will read Quote "Create primary drive(2 gb). Make it active Reboot to apply changes.
" Unquote.

Thanks,
KYRO

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
Why are you partitioning with Win98 instead of just doing it from within the NT setup? Have you tried deleting and re-creating the partition from within NT?

If all else fails, sys the c: drive with win98. Copy the i386 folder to c:, boot into dos from the c drive and install that way.

Since you did successfully install and boot from win98, you know it's not a bad drive.