P4 2.66 at 57 celcius

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Please help me........
Can some one tell me what is the normal temperature fo a P4 2.66Ghz on a intel heatsink and fan...
mine is at 45 celcius.
When i play Need for speed it rises to 57 celcius(that's the max)...
Is this normal...Please tell me !!!

If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it !!!

hodi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
I don´t own a Pentium, but I´d say that 57°C aren´t that bad when you´re playing a game.

--- signature to long ;( ---

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
thanks hodi, but i'm just afraid because the processor is new. Any pentium 4 users....Please help...
I wanna know....

If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it !!!

hodi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
No need to be afraid, tho.
Your Pentium4 is able to manage temperatures up to 70-75°C
without any danger.

What else do you have in your case?

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Hi joo,
This is my Spec :

Asus P4G8X Deluxe
2X Corsair 512Mb XMS3200C2
80Gb Maxtor 8Mb cache
R9700
Antec 430W Truepower

I'm really interested in overclocking, but since the temperature is too high now....i'm afraid too....
What you think about overclocking this board???
Is the temperature really normal...???
Thanks...

jaythaman

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
Do you have any case fans or any other type of ventilation??? Your temp is a wee bit high and it definitely doesnt leave you much room to overclock. What about the Thermal Paste?? Are you sure you did'nt apply anything more on the already present black pad?

<b><font color=blue>FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...</b></font color=blue>
<font color=red><b><i>Jay Kay</font color=red></b></i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
It depends.
Stock cooler right?
Did u use the thermal pad preattached to the bottom of the heatsink OR thermal paste?

And what sort of case ventillation do you have?

Using a THIN THIN THIN layer of thermal paste instead of a thick pad can reduce temps a fair bit, as can increasing case cooling.

<b>Now can someone explain how we ever got the idea that baby bunnies lay multicolored eggs made of chocolate in our living rooms?" :lol: </b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images</A>

hodi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
Hmm, nice spec...
I don´t know much about the board tho, but it seems like
this setup is quite "overclockable".

Doesn´t look like the rest of your system is the reason for this 12°C jump.
I don´t say that such a jump is normal, nope not with this
setup, but 57°C aren´t bad/dangerous at all.
Could it be that you have any Software installed that
prevents the CPU to run 100%, if it´s not required?

Since I´ll have a P4 soon too I´d also like to read the
opinion of an P4 user.

edit: damn I´m slow o_O<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hodi on 04/26/03 03:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
hey, just read your post, and it seems like your temps are a bit high. I think that 36--38c. idle would be a normal temp for a 2.66 (imo ?? ). I can run my 2.4a o/ced to 2.76 and the temps are still only 34--36c. idle and will run up to46--48c. under full load. Like was stated above, how many case fans do you have, and when you placed the hsf on , did you seat it properly?? Also check in your bios to see if default vcore is set to lowest setting. Also, what is the ambient temp of the room you have it in now?? Is your case on the floor or on a desk( I know it seems trivial, but moving my case to the floor took it down 1c., not much diff., but every degree counts)Is your hsf running properly;that is ,is it at the specs for rpm?? And, lastly, (but this happened to mine alot until I figured it out) are you running "KAZAA", as it's virus checker, when running heats up my sys. 8--10c. !!! And this is before gaming!! Oh, and one more thing, try installing a little program called "speed fan 4.08" , a lot of times it just may be that your temps are being incorrectly read!!!!
Well, that's all I have, hopefully you'll get that thing down to a temp you are happy with!!!

As far as o/cing, I read a post in the "overclocking" section,where they got their 2.66 up to 3.0g.....so it would seem feasable with yours as well. Just raise your fsb and see what happens. If the temps don't change much, then you'll be ok......good luck!!!!

<font color=purple> We can't all be heros,someone has to stand on the sidewalk and clap!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by toester on 04/26/03 06:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Your temps are a bit on the high side of what I'd call good. There could be many reasons for this, warm room, poor air circulation, proximity to a heating duct etc. that have nothing to do with the efficiency of CPU cooler. Still, we do want to keep things as cool as we can...

I'd say, there's no harm in unlocking your cooler, taking the thermal goop off the bottom, cleaning the whole thing up nice and clean and putting in some thermal grease (if you haven't already). It probably won't make a huge difference but every degree adds to your safety margin.

But, I wouldn't bee too worried about it... P4s throttle back long before they self-destruct.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Hi everyone thanks man,
I'm using 5 case fans that comes with Thermaltake Xaser2...
And my case is on the floor though.....
And my vcore setting is default...i didn't do any changes to it...

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Thanks for your reply,
Yep, it a stock cooler with preattached thermal pad.

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Hi Teq, it's good hearing from you...

"Your temps are a bit on the high side of what I'd call good"

Whay did you said that...
Toester said his temperature when overclocked is only at 46--48c, i'm freekin scared man......
I bought my pc to overclock it and now the temperature is high even without overclocking.......

"But, I wouldn't bee too worried about it... P4s throttle back long before they self-destruct.".....This sounds good, but i'm afraid though. Should i return my cpu and get a new one???

Thanks man,...

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
You have no reason to worry, that temp is fine. If you want to reduce your temp, you can replace the pad and add AS3. Keep the paste as thin as possible(but make sure you cover the whole area). I would try overclocking anyway even with that temp and see what happens, just remember to go in small steps 1 to 2 MHz at a time. Remember the CPU was under load, also not all CPU's are the same.

--------
The only thing i know...

is that i know nothing at all.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
o, damn, you are planning to oc hehe. In which I'd say put some arctic silver type solution there. Remember, not too much. Otherwise, u could also get a different hsf if need be. Relax about the overheating. P4's do throttle back, and even on my t-bird when the hs wasn't attached correctly (several hard kicks from my bro to the metal siding to which my mobo is attached will do that) my comp overheated and just shut down. Everything was fine.

Hilbert space is a big place.

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Thanks man, you made me feel better...hmmm...
I'll get a Thermaltake Spark7 hsf when i overclock my system(not now)...
Mayb i'll get Thermaltake Aquarius 2 water cooling system, if i have extra cash...
Now i'm planning to get a Maxtor 15000rpm 36Gb SCSI hard drive with Adaptec SCSI controller. I heard faster seek time improves perfomance....
I'm also planning to get 2x Maxtor 60Gb serial ata drive to build raid since my motherboard supports it...
I'll use raid array to keep my data and the SCSI drive for my system drive.
What is your opinion...???
I really need advise........I don't wanna burn my money......
Thanks man....

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Sounds good, though a raid of wd raptors would be interesting too. Just remember, if your gonna use your comp for games, you won't need this stuff and will burn ur money. A simple raid of ide drives would be fast enough. I mean I do quantum simulations, graphics, play games, beta test a bunch of stuff, program, etc. and my 2xD740x raid suits me quite well with a 120GB Maxtor as a storage drive. Remember also that in a raid 0, if 1 drive fails, ur data's gone so I like to think of it as a system/ performance thing and not storage- storage is better imo on a single drive or raid 1.

Hilbert space is a big place.