Chris Hutchins FH arrives from his new shop!

Just took delivery of Chris's FH from his new shop. Nos pf, new
ramps,decals, plastics, the whole shootin match. It plays and looks
better than NIB. Amazing. I can't put it next to any other pin because
it makes them pale in comparison. Now on to the Creature. Can't wait.
Thanks, Buddy
27 answers Last reply
More about chris hutchins arrives shop

    better than nib? what does the cabinet look like? hmmm....

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
    (who has a little pet peeve with people using the BETTER THAN NIB
    catchphrase ;-)

    I'm still knocked out by a total restoration that Chris did on my Twilight
    Zone a couple months back. I had no idea that this pin could look and play
    this well.

    Pretty cool to see that three ball magnet grab during the opening of
    multi-ball...

    -- Todd

    "sea girt" <buddybunch@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Just took delivery of Chris's FH from his new shop. Nos pf, new
    > ramps,decals, plastics, the whole shootin match. It plays and looks
    > better than NIB. Amazing. I can't put it next to any other pin because
    > it makes them pale in comparison. Now on to the Creature. Can't wait.
    > Thanks, Buddy

    Every PF & Game I saw at Chris's place, would rate
    "As good as New" or better,,,, only wish a few of those were my
    games,,, Miss my CV & MM.

    Pin-Del,

    Del Jun 29, 12:48 pm show options

    Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
    From: "Del" <delmail...@gmail.com> - Find messages by this author
    Date: 29 Jun 2005 09:48:37 -0700
    Subject: Re: Chris Hutchins FH arrives from his new shop!
    original | Report Abuse

    Every PF & Game I saw at Chris's place, would rate
    "As good as New" or better,,,, only wish a few of those were my
    games,,, Miss my CV & MM.

    Pin-Del,

    even the ones with decals in the clearcoat? sorry, i completely
    disagree.

    they may LOOK like new, but certainly not AS GOOD as new.

    you gonna take a game that has been restored over a nib one? no-one
    would.

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    KOZ,
    You'd have to see for your-self ,, Chris is not Bragging, Its the
    people who have seen his work ( It speaks for it-self ) ,
    You are welcomed to disagree =)

    Pin-Del,

    i am not debating the LOOKS of the pin, i saw some of his work at expo.
    they look great.

    but to claim cabs with decals and decals in clearcoat are better than
    nib, sorry, i don't think it is opinion, i think it is fact that they
    can't be better than nib, not even equal. sorry :-)

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    So you're saying MXV's funhouse playfield isn't better then NIB then . . .
    I'm sorry but all the original diamond plated playfields are a very poor
    second to Bill's work . . . Forget cosmetics lets just talk about properly
    sealed inserts and a smooth flat surface that plays true.

    NIB isn't the highest bar . . . My NIB RFM came with multiple play and
    cosmetic problems. :-) Restored by someone who knows what they are doing
    and actually plays pinball is on top of "my" list . . .

    My opinion . . . but based on lots of play and facts ;-)

    --
    Kerry Stair

    Mantis Amusements "Its all about Pinball"

    "Koz Pinlicious" <pinlicious@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >i am not debating the LOOKS of the pin, i saw some of his work at expo.
    > they look great.
    >
    > but to claim cabs with decals and decals in clearcoat are better than
    > nib, sorry, i don't think it is opinion, i think it is fact that they
    > can't be better than nib, not even equal. sorry :-)
    >
    > Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    Thanks Buddy.I have to admit that is the nicest FH I have ever done.Darin's
    revised decals look excellent.
    Hopefully I can find a way to put some pictures up.My old site is full.
    --
    Christopher Hutchins
    www.highendpins.com

    On Wed, 29 Jun, Christopher Hutchins wrote:
    > Thanks Buddy.I have to admit that is the nicest FH I have ever done.Darin's
    > revised decals look excellent.
    > Hopefully I can find a way to put some pictures up.My old site is full.

    It better only be better than mine because of those decals! :)

    --Donnie

    On Wed, 29 Jun, Koz Pinlicious wrote:
    > you gonna take a game that has been restored over a nib one? no-one
    > would.

    You're mistaking value for quality. Often times a restored game *is*
    better than what the factory would have done by many actual *quality*
    definitions.

    Since those quality issues generally don't affect gameplay and since the
    NIB game would be worth more, sure, 99.9% of us here would choose the NIB
    game. But that doesn't mean our restored games can't still be of higher
    quality.

    But which "quality" issues each person even cares about can be different,
    and your opinions aren't going to match everyone elses, so there's no
    reason to argue those details.

    --Donnie

    Kerry Stair Jun 29, 2:22 pm show options

    Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
    From: "Kerry Stair" <i...@mantisamusements.com> - Find messages by this
    author
    Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:22:35 -0500
    original | Report Abuse

    So you're saying MXV's funhouse playfield isn't better then NIB then .
    .. .

    no, it isn't. i saw how it was before it had surgery ;-)

    now if he had a nos non diamondplated pf cleared it by some peoples
    definition MAY be better, but the one mike has in his game isn't better
    than one that would be nib. heck, by your definition, just clearcoat
    the nib playfield then you have trumped the old worn touched up one ;-)

    I'm sorry but all the original diamond plated playfields are a very
    poor
    second to Bill's work . . .

    i disagree. i'll gladly put up my nos taf playfield up against any
    playfield you like. it was a sheet of glass from the factory. same goes
    for my dp playfield in my fh. PERFECT. i'll gladly send you a pic or
    let someone post it here. while most nos fields MAY look bad, that is
    because some nos fields were 2nds, of not the majority of them, but you
    knew that.

    Forget cosmetics lets just talk about properly
    sealed inserts and a smooth flat surface that plays true.

    well, define PLAYS TRUE

    do you mean PLAYS TRUE as in how pinballs have played from the factory,
    or do you mean PLAYS TRUE by your definition of a clearcoated
    playfield? are you talking em plays true? pre-diamondplate playing
    true, or dp playing true, or post dp cc pf's playing true? true to how
    they were meant to be played from the factory or plays true by your own
    personal definition?

    NIB isn't the highest bar . . .

    but a polished up USED game is? i don't think so.

    My NIB RFM came with multiple play and
    cosmetic problems. :-)

    are we talking rfm's? i thought we were talking fh. either way, the
    game is irrelavent. the point is decals AREN'T better than factory
    screen jobs. decals replacing decals is fine. i am sorry your rfm got
    some plays on it from the factory, do you think it was more plays than
    a routed fixer uper like the ones being polished up all the time? i
    would say not even close.

    Restored by someone who knows what they are doing
    and actually plays pinball is on top of "my" list . . .

    i am not bashing anyones work, but i am just wondering how you guys
    think a touched up clearcoated used pf is better than a nib dp one. not
    to mention the other 1k+ parts in the game ;-)

    My opinion . . . but based on lots of play and facts ;-)

    same here. i am glad bill does the work that he does as well as chris
    and others, but you guys need a bite of reality pie when you say
    polished up games are better than nib ones that are factory fresh. :-)

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
    (who thinks a game needs a lot more new parts than a cc pf, and
    stickered up cab to be better than nib ;-)

    --
    Kerry Stair

    Donnie Barnes Jun 29, 1:33 pm show options

    Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
    From: Donnie Barnes <djbSPAMSU...@donniebarnes.com> - Find messages by
    this author
    Date: 29 Jun 2005 17:33:45 GMT
    original | Report Abuse

    On Wed, 29 Jun, Koz Pinlicious wrote:
    > you gonna take a game that has been restored over a nib one? no-one
    > would.

    You're mistaking value for quality.

    no i am not, read below...

    Often times a restored game *is*
    better than what the factory would have done by many actual *quality*
    definitions.

    such as what donnie? tell me what you think a restorer could do better
    than what the factory did besides putting a couple more coats of clear
    on the playfield. clearcoating a nos playfield may in some peoples eyes
    make THE PLAYFIELD better than nib, but what about the rest of a blown
    out game. you going to put all new switches, wiring harness,
    assemblies, and other high wear items on the restoration. if that is
    the case, excuse me, but i don't recall anyone out there putting ALL
    nos parts on a retro job. :-)

    i disagree, and like you said below, we can agree on that :-)

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    But which "quality" issues each person even cares about can be
    different,
    and your opinions aren't going to match everyone elses, so there's no
    reason to argue those details.

    --Donnie

    I think you're all right : )

    The "better than NIB" phrase is very general, can be interpreted in
    many different ways and can therefore be debated indefinitely as can
    many other topics. Some of Chris's customers have NIB machines and
    still feel that the games Chris restored for them are "better".

    If a pf and cab look new and are more durable than they were new from
    the factory, but a magnet assembly is 15 years old compared to when it
    was new from the factory, is the restored game "better" or is the NIB
    game "better"? Certain parts of a game can be improved while others
    cannot. I agree that a restored game cannot be 100% better than NIB.
    But I also would likewise agree that a NIB game cannot be 100% better
    than (in this case) a CH restoration. To state that it could, would be
    to believe that no further improvement could have been made, which is
    never the case in any process.

    Everything changes when you start talking about extremely rare
    collectible examples like Koz's FH. *Could* the pf be improved from a
    durability stand point by clearing it? Maybe. *Should* it be touched?
    No Way! Back to Donnies quality/value trade off.

    I appreciate and will never knock a collectable original of anything,
    but realize that it certainly *could* be further improved in certain
    areas. But *could* does not mean *should*.

    All that aside, anyone who has dealt with Chris, purchased a game from
    him or even seen his games for that matter will all agree that they are
    nothing short of spectacular - cosmetically and funtionally. Better
    than NIB? You decide : )

    KOZ,
    How about putting up some Pictures,, "IF" you have any ??

    Pin-Del, =)

    Decalled cabinets (except MB, CC, SWEP1, RFM) are just plain wrong.
    Like the guy says, a blind man can tell its not orginal.

    They might look pretty but they aren't, and never will be, original.

    You can't restore any game to factory fresh condition, it's always so
    so obvious when you've tried.

    I'd take a DP original over a restored game anyday as long as both are
    in like new shape, The Thing is,, You dont see NIB Funhouses that are
    DPed everyday ,, That why I asked to see Kozs,,

    Pin-Del,

    Then what's the difference between a decal and the games that had the
    white laminate applied and then silk- screened? It's all a big decal
    to me. :-)

    Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

    "Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
    shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
    city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

    (Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

    TopLoser wrote:
    > Decalled cabinets (except MB, CC, SWEP1, RFM) are just plain wrong.
    > Like the guy says, a blind man can tell its not orginal.
    >
    > They might look pretty but they aren't, and never will be, original.
    >
    > You can't restore any game to factory fresh condition, it's always so
    > so obvious when you've tried.

    I would love to see the KOZ FH !

    Bryans Games look pretty Dayum good too !!

    I could name 6-8 guys here who just plain do some of the most
    "Detailed Work" I've ever seen ( Havent seen Kozs ) .
    But I Envy you guys holding those Super nice games, Restored or NIBs
    But looking at the Pictures John Hosted for Chris, All I can say is you
    have to SEE it, Bryans & Daves to !.
    A NIB FH is only what ? 14 years old, It would have to be very LOW
    play,,, less than 200 games & those Factory parts do Dull.
    Since I know I'll never see a NIB DPed FH, Those restored games are the
    next best thing,,
    What are ya'll going to call thise "New" BBBs Huh ?
    Same difference <<< Loves using that =)

    Pin-Del,

    sure, i can post a pic or two. i think i have one handy before i
    shopped it, so you are gonna see a little ugliness :-)

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    who wants to host the pic? e-mail me if you would, i prefer someone who
    can do a watermark so the image isn't used by potential scammers.

    pic looks just ok, a pre shop pic, but you get the idea.

    thanks

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    thanks madmax, nice ride! :-)

    On Thu, 30 Jun, Koz Pinlicious wrote:
    > i am not bashing anyones work, but i am just wondering how you guys
    > think a touched up clearcoated used pf is better than a nib dp one. not
    > to mention the other 1k+ parts in the game ;-)

    Correction, this game had an NOS clearcoated playfield, IIRC. Not a used
    one.

    > (who thinks a game needs a lot more new parts than a cc pf, and
    > stickered up cab to be better than nib ;-)

    I agree. But who said it didn't have every NOS part that could be found on
    it? Or at least every part that gets touched by anything or moves. :)

    --Donnie

    On Thu, 30 Jun, Koz Pinlicious wrote:
    > such as what donnie? tell me what you think a restorer could do better
    > than what the factory did besides putting a couple more coats of clear
    > on the playfield. clearcoating a nos playfield may in some peoples eyes
    > make THE PLAYFIELD better than nib, but what about the rest of a blown
    > out game. you going to put all new switches, wiring harness,
    > assemblies, and other high wear items on the restoration. if that is
    > the case, excuse me, but i don't recall anyone out there putting ALL
    > nos parts on a retro job. :-)

    You don't need new harnesses, you just clean what is there. As for wear
    items, yeah, on my game it was all replaced. New plastics, new ramps, new
    playfield. Better paint job than the factory did originally. Upgrades
    that the factory never knew they needed (protectors) as well as some parts
    that are now stronger because the factory decided they needed to (flipper
    pawls and the like).

    The *only* knock you can make on my game, IMHO, over a NIB game is that the
    NIB game would have had a screened cab. I swear, though, you REALLY have
    to be trying to tell if it's stickers versus screen with what Chris does to
    apply the stickers. I'm really not kidding. The *LOOK* of the cabinet
    will be better than 99% of the games that came out of the box, I guarantee
    it.

    So while NIB is still WORTH a bit more, this game looks better in EVERY
    way. More polished parts on the playfield, upgrades that keep ramps from
    breaking the first time a ball hits the wrong spot, a nicer playfield, a
    cabinet that is baby-butt-smooth, and moving parts that are often stronger
    than what was originally put on games in 1991 or whatever.

    Would I trade it for a NIB game? Sure. But mine is still better looking.
    :)

    --Donnie

    Here ya go Koz: http://www.someotherplace.com/kozfhpf.jpg

    Richard

    On 30 Jun 2005 20:16:19 -0700, "Koz Pinlicious" <pinlicious@gmail.com> wrote:

    >who wants to host the pic? e-mail me if you would, i prefer someone who
    >can do a watermark so the image isn't used by potential scammers.
    >
    >pic looks just ok, a pre shop pic, but you get the idea.
    >
    >thanks
    >
    >Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    And I share that opinion.

    (Actually it extends beyond that...)

    --
    Fred
    TX

    On Fri, 01 Jul, Koz Pinlicious wrote:
    > hmm, who had the booth behind the tourny games? there was a fh in that
    > bank of games i believe.

    Don't think it was Chris, but I wasn't there.

    > what, are you chroming parts now? what metal parts look bad coming from
    > the factory that you need to make them somehow look better?

    I didn't say they were bad, just that they *can* be better.

    > can we stick to what came from the factory then and not how you turn a
    > game into a tank?

    No, because the factory didn't always get it right. That's why James'
    ramps are *better* than factory ramps. We now have access to better
    plastics than they had then, for one thing.

    >> Come on. Darin's decals are screened, too.
    >
    > so are they smooth or aren't they smooth?

    I was talking about the *wood*, not the texture of the screening. Sure,
    that'll exist. But with many factory games you could feel the damned
    woodgrain underneath, if not *see* it. Well, in fact.

    >> You haven't seen it so you can't really say. *shrug*
    >
    > i guess. you must have a game that is the exception then to get such
    > praise.

    There aren't that many *real* restorations out there. A few people on this
    group appear to do them right, but not very many.

    > Yeah, nobody would ever clean molex pins and connectors in a
    > restoration job. Riiiiiiiiiiiight.
    >
    > how do you get rid of that yellowing? you know, that baked in goodness
    > ;-)

    In a first class restoration you'd change any molex connector that was
    yellow since it needs new pins anyway (if it got hot enough to yellow the
    connector the pins are bad) and changing the plastic part is *easy* at that
    point.

    > hmm, again i ask, who had a booth behind the tourny games at expo?

    You tell me, hotshot.

    > i guess i have never seen a turd polished to a very good "D" IF grade
    > then. is that the definition of -properly restored-? i usually try to
    > avoid the games that need that kind of attention.

    Who said anything about the starting condition? In fact, starting
    condition is completely irrelevant.

    All I know is I have a game that has a *lot* of features that make it
    "better" than what came out of the box originally for a FH. The decals are
    much more resistant to fading since they have a better UV protectant than
    the original cabinets did. The ramps are made of better plastic, as are
    the new plastic sets. The clearcoat on the playfield is much better and
    should keep those damned inserts from lifting like pretty much every other
    Funhouse on the planet. Things like flipper bats and endlinks and likely
    even bushings are made with better plastics. Coil stops are heavier duty,
    as are pawls. Bumper bodies are heavier duty. Bumper rings are even made
    better now, IIRC. While not original in look, the pinLED displays will
    last forever.

    So no, it's not as collectible as a NIB FH, but it will play better and
    look better for much longer than the NIB one would with the same plays. To
    me, that's better.

    --Donnie

Games Video Games