What is included with retail boxed CPU?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nope... that's about it. I think they use those thermal pads mostly instead of giving you a tube of paste. You also get a 3 year manufacturer's warranty.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

hodi

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
What did u expect them to add to the cpu?
An AMD/Intel Fanboy T-Shirt ? :) They can´t put in new game Demos since u could have any GFX Card with a top CPU. A Driver CD? erm rather not huh?

--- signature to long ;( ---

basmic

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
In my experience of retail CPUs, you get:
1) Instruction manual, warranty information, etc
2) CPU (obviously)
3) Heatsink and Fan - normally with thermal pads, opposed to thermal paste
4) In my experience of Intel CPUs, you get a case badge. That's as far as it goes for goodies, lol :smile:

<font color=orange><b>Some people don't realise that a mere two hours backing up their data is far quicker than redoing all the work again!</b></font color=orange>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Don't forget all that nice shiny plastic. As for thermal paste the heat sink has a thermal pad included...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

mogiebi

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Seriously people...

I'm wonder too if "boxed" define if there's a fan WITH heatsink included. From the description on the website I cannot find this info (lazy webshop's fault though..)

On the other end.. is it spectacularly normal to NOT send fan w/heatsink incl. with the CPU?

On a Intel Boxed CPU you will get the processor, warranty information, and in most cases a stock HSF (heatsink/fan). The Intel Boxed processors have a 3 year warranty on them while the tray/OEM have a 1 year warranty on them.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team