The tale of RDRAM

JimStapleton

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2001
*sigh* yet another victim of ignorance.

Depends on the task: High bandwidth with a small number of large acesses, RDRAM is the best. It would be great for a Xeon or an Itanium, possibly even an Opteron.

However, Rdram has HIGH latency, 40 to 60 nanoseconds
compared with 4 to 6 ns in current DDR 333/400, that's a big difference. So if your app uses a lot of small memory retrievals, you want DDR. If you have a lower processor cach (relative to the number of simultanious threads running), you want DDR.

Really, the best memory interface is HIGHLY task dependant. For most of my tasks, I really don't want to pay more for RDRAM which will kill my performance.

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Sigh. Piss off fanboy. You really proving how ignorant you are. The Opteron has been benchmarked and proven to be the faster CPU. If you cant accept that then get a life and dont touch computers again. And as for rambus. Well the reason DDR won is because it is the better standard. Intel wanted a monooly with rdram and they didnt get it. Simple as that.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'