Parental Control

My brother asked me to help set up his computer so he could regulate how his
10 yr old accessed the internet, chat rooms, IMs etc. I don't know how to do
that? Any guidance? His daughter has already contacted a predator
(unwittingly) and he had to involve the FBI because the slease was from a
different state. That's when he aske dfor my help
4 answers Last reply
More about parental control

    I'm using a program called PC Timewatch (
    http://www.mainsoft.fr/en/pctwoverview.htm ), which will allow you to
    control the time a user has on the computer or with individual
    programs/applications. It will also allow you to "lockout" specific
    programs, including messaging programs or all internet access.

    So far it has worked well, but you do have to spend some time setting up the
    user parameters.

    Fitz

    spurlockda wrote:
    > My brother asked me to help set up his computer so he could regulate how his
    > 10 yr old accessed the internet, chat rooms, IMs etc. I don't know how to do
    > that? Any guidance? His daughter has already contacted a predator
    > (unwittingly) and he had to involve the FBI because the slease was from a
    > different state. That's when he aske dfor my help

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Use the Internet Explorer 6 Content Advisor to Control Access
    to Web Sites in Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310401

    Protect Your PC

    For some requirements, your brother may find it easier to invest in
    a 3rd-party solution, such as NetNanny or CyberPatrol.

    Your brother needs to be aware, however, that *NO* technical or
    software solution is 100% child/fool-proof, and _none_ can ever
    adequately take the place of live adult supervision. If your brother
    cannot trust his children to safely/properly use the computer without
    supervision, he may have to consider limiting their access to it.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Improve your family's Web security in 4 steps
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/children/childrenonline.mspx

    Norton Internet Security 2005 w/Parental Control
    http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat2/ec_MAIN.Entry16?PN=1&SP=10023&S1=&S2=&S3=&S4=&S5=&V1=648691&V2=&V3=&V4=&V5=31033611&xid=49997&DSP=0&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=1613750000192370

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "spurlockda" wrote:

    | My brother asked me to help set up his computer so he could regulate how his
    | 10 yr old accessed the internet, chat rooms, IMs etc. I don't know how to do
    | that? Any guidance? His daughter has already contacted a predator
    | (unwittingly) and he had to involve the FBI because the slease was from a
    | different state. That's when he aske dfor my help

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:56:07 -0700, "spurlockda"
    <spurlockda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My brother asked me to help set up his computer so he could regulate how his
    >10 yr old accessed the internet, chat rooms, IMs etc. I don't know how to do
    >that? Any guidance? His daughter has already contacted a predator
    >(unwittingly) and he had to involve the FBI because the slease was from a
    >different state. That's when he aske dfor my help

    No software can ultimately prevent this. The only way to prevent it
    is through monitoring children using the computer. The last lady I
    dated kept the computer in the family room where she could watch what
    her two daughters were accessing. They weren't fond of it, but lived
    with it.

    Technology is NOT the answer here.

Parental Control Microsoft Windows XP