Parental Control

My brother asked me to help set up his computer so he could regulate how his
10 yr old accessed the internet, chat rooms, IMs etc. I don't know how to do
that? Any guidance? His daughter has already contacted a predator
(unwittingly) and he had to involve the FBI because the slease was from a
different state. That's when he aske dfor my help

Fitz

I'm using a program called PC Timewatch (
http://www.mainsoft.fr/en/pctwoverview.htm ), which will allow you to
control the time a user has on the computer or with individual
programs/applications. It will also allow you to "lockout" specific
programs, including messaging programs or all internet access.

So far it has worked well, but you do have to spend some time setting up the
user parameters.

Fitz

spurlockda wrote:
> My brother asked me to help set up his computer so he could regulate how his
> 10 yr old accessed the internet, chat rooms, IMs etc. I don't know how to do
> that? Any guidance? His daughter has already contacted a predator
> (unwittingly) and he had to involve the FBI because the slease was from a
> different state. That's when he aske dfor my help

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Use the Internet Explorer 6 Content Advisor to Control Access
to Web Sites in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310401

Protect Your PC

For some requirements, your brother may find it easier to invest in
a 3rd-party solution, such as NetNanny or CyberPatrol.

Your brother needs to be aware, however, that *NO* technical or
software solution is 100% child/fool-proof, and _none_ can ever
adequately take the place of live adult supervision. If your brother
cannot trust his children to safely/properly use the computer without
supervision, he may have to consider limiting their access to it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Improve your family's Web security in 4 steps
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/children/childrenonline.mspx

Norton Internet Security 2005 w/Parental Control
http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat2/ec_MAIN.Entry16?PN=1&SP=10023&S1=&S2=&S3=&S4=&S5=&V1=648691&V2=&V3=&V4=&V5=31033611&xid=49997&DSP=0&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=1613750000192370

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"spurlockda" wrote:

| My brother asked me to help set up his computer so he could regulate how his
| 10 yr old accessed the internet, chat rooms, IMs etc. I don't know how to do
| that? Any guidance? His daughter has already contacted a predator
| (unwittingly) and he had to involve the FBI because the slease was from a
| different state. That's when he aske dfor my help

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:56:07 -0700, "spurlockda"
<spurlockda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My brother asked me to help set up his computer so he could regulate how his
>10 yr old accessed the internet, chat rooms, IMs etc. I don't know how to do
>that? Any guidance? His daughter has already contacted a predator
>(unwittingly) and he had to involve the FBI because the slease was from a
>different state. That's when he aske dfor my help

No software can ultimately prevent this. The only way to prevent it
is through monitoring children using the computer. The last lady I
dated kept the computer in the family room where she could watch what
her two daughters were accessing. They weren't fond of it, but lived
with it.

Technology is NOT the answer here.