Opening Multiple Files from Context Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stymied

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2003

Opening Multiple files from Context Menu: Using Windows XP Home SP2, file
Explorer, whenever I select multiple files (e.g. .doc, .xls, .jpg, or
combinations, etc.), right click, and select the "open" command from the
Context menu, for each file, before opening, it displays the "move items"
dialog (which I cancel) and then a "copy items" dialog (which I cancel).
These extra actions do not occur when I open a single file from the context
menu. These extra actions do not occur when I select "preview" or any
command other than "open". This problem seems related to "shell.dll", open
command action settings, registry settings, or shell extension hooks. That
is as far as I could get in researching this problem. Please advise of any
open action settings, registry key changes, or shell extension hooks I should
change (using program ShellExView) to solve this problem. Thank you, Stymied

Stymied,

Did you add the Copy to / Move to options to the context-menu? If so, read
below:

The Copy to and Move to Folder options weren't designed to be on the context
menu. For more information, see this page - by Raymond Chen, Microsoft.

http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/02/02/66160.aspx

Problem will be resolved once these context entries are removed. The entry
might be present here in the registry:

Type Regedit.exe in Start, Run. Navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ AllFilesystemObjects \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers

Delete these two items:
{C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}
{C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}

Alternately, you may disable these two items using ShellExView.

{C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} is Microsoft CopyTo Service
{C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} is Microsoft MoveTo Service

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Stymied" <Stymied@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Opening Multiple files from Context Menu: Using Windows XP Home SP2, file
> Explorer, whenever I select multiple files (e.g. .doc, .xls, .jpg, or
> combinations, etc.), right click, and select the "open" command from the
> Context menu, for each file, before opening, it displays the "move items"
> dialog (which I cancel) and then a "copy items" dialog (which I cancel).
> These extra actions do not occur when I open a single file from the
> context
> menu. These extra actions do not occur when I select "preview" or any
> command other than "open". This problem seems related to "shell.dll",
> open
> command action settings, registry settings, or shell extension hooks.
> That
> is as far as I could get in researching this problem. Please advise of
> any
> open action settings, registry key changes, or shell extension hooks I
> should
> change (using program ShellExView) to solve this problem. Thank you,
> Stymied

justaskn

I have a related XP problem. I used to be able to select 3 files (one .xls, one .doc, and one from a non ms program) in a folder, right-click and hit Open, and all three programs started, one at a time, with each file ready to work. Now, it won't work on more than one file at a time. What changed? I have a new PC with a new XP (yes, you can still get that from Dell, with Win 7 that can be installed later, when I get new hardware that is compatible). The old machine has XP sp3, so there should be no difference. What's up, and how can I open multi files in multi programs at once in the same way without the batch program described here?