Acrobat Reader 7.0 defaults

I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never experienced
before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts and says
it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I want to
use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
temporarily. Thanks for your help.

Dave
tuckerdw@cox.net

Dave,

Type this in Start, Run:

cmd /c assoc .jpg=jpegfile

If that does not help, apply the .JPG fix from:

Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"05MustangGT" <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never experienced
> before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
> Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts and
> says
> it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I want
> use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
> temporarily. Thanks for your help.
>
> Dave
> tuckerdw@cox.net

Hi! I ran the cmd and the JPG fix and Adobe Reader is still being invoked.

Dave

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Type this in Start, Run:
>
> cmd /c assoc .jpg=jpegfile
>
> If that does not help, apply the .JPG fix from:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "05MustangGT" <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never experienced
> > before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
> > Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts and
> > says
> > it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I want
> > use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
> > temporarily. Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Dave
> > tuckerdw@cox.net

JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
jpe/jpg/jpeg files)

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

05MustangGT wrote:

> I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never experienced
> before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
> Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts and says
> it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I want to
> use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
> temporarily. Thanks for your help.
>
> Dave
> tuckerdw@cox.net

Hi! Ran the fix and Adobe Reader 7.0 is still being invoked.

Dave

05MustangGT wrote:

> Hi! Ran the fix and Adobe Reader 7.0 is still being invoked.
>
> Dave

Adobe Reader 5.0 is still pretty much being used by many
businesses. It has been reported that Adobe Reader 6.0 is
still buggy and Version 7.0 is still too new. Downgrading
to an earlier version may still be an option. There are
many websites that still offer Reader 5.0 and 6.0 for their
content.

Right click on jpeg and choose open with....then select choose program,
select explorer if that's what you want to open jpegs then select the box at
the bottom to always use that program.

> Hi! Ran the fix and Adobe Reader 7.0 is still being invoked.
>
> Dave
>
> "S.Sengupta" wrote:
>
>> JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
>> jpe/jpg/jpeg files)
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>>
>> 05MustangGT wrote:
>>
>> > I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never
>> > experienced
>> > before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
>> > Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts
>> > and says
>> > it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I
>> > want to
>> > use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
>> > temporarily. Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > Dave
>> > tuckerdw@cox.net

What I am reading is the Acrobat 7 is a hydra whose tentacles reach into
everything, including IE, and is almost impossible to remove. The box
remains unopened here for that reason.

Dave,

Give this utility as try.

Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

Select .JPG from the list and Repair associations.

--

> Hi! I ran the cmd and the JPG fix and Adobe Reader is still being
> invoked.
>
> Dave
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> Type this in Start, Run:
>>
>> cmd /c assoc .jpg=jpegfile
>>
>> If that does not help, apply the .JPG fix from:
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "05MustangGT" <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never experienced
>> > before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
>> > Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts
>> > and
>> > says
>> > it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I
>> > want
>> > use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
>> > temporarily. Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > Dave
>> > tuckerdw@cox.net

Ramesh, hey it worked!!! Thank you -- I certainly appreciate it.

Dave

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:03:55 GMT, "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com>

>Right click on jpeg and choose open with....then select choose program,
>select explorer if that's what you want to open jpegs then select the box at
>the bottom to always use that program.

That will destroy all non-default actions for that file type.

Tip Of The Day:
To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

And set new ones for explorer.

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:cmkvf152heo08kjur1uno089u8uqh9lass@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:03:55 GMT, "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com>
>
>>Right click on jpeg and choose open with....then select choose program,
>>select explorer if that's what you want to open jpegs then select the box
>>at
>>the bottom to always use that program.
>
> That will destroy all non-default actions for that file type.

> Tip Of The Day:
> To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

You're welcome Dave.