Acrobat Reader 7.0 defaults

I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never experienced
before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts and says
it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I want to
use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
temporarily. Thanks for your help.

Dave
tuckerdw@cox.net
12 answers Last reply
More about acrobat reader defaults

    Dave,

    Type this in Start, Run:

    cmd /c assoc .jpg=jpegfile

    If that does not help, apply the .JPG fix from:

    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "05MustangGT" <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never experienced
    > before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
    > Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts and
    > says
    > it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I want
    > use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
    > temporarily. Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Dave
    > tuckerdw@cox.net

    Hi! I ran the cmd and the JPG fix and Adobe Reader is still being invoked.

    Dave

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Dave,
    >
    > Type this in Start, Run:
    >
    > cmd /c assoc .jpg=jpegfile
    >
    > If that does not help, apply the .JPG fix from:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "05MustangGT" <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never experienced
    > > before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
    > > Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts and
    > > says
    > > it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I want
    > > use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
    > > temporarily. Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > > tuckerdw@cox.net

    JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
    jpe/jpg/jpeg files)

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    05MustangGT wrote:

    > I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never experienced
    > before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
    > Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts and says
    > it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I want to
    > use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
    > temporarily. Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Dave
    > tuckerdw@cox.net

    Hi! Ran the fix and Adobe Reader 7.0 is still being invoked.

    Dave

    05MustangGT wrote:

    > Hi! Ran the fix and Adobe Reader 7.0 is still being invoked.
    >
    > Dave

    Adobe Reader 5.0 is still pretty much being used by many
    businesses. It has been reported that Adobe Reader 6.0 is
    still buggy and Version 7.0 is still too new. Downgrading
    to an earlier version may still be an option. There are
    many websites that still offer Reader 5.0 and 6.0 for their
    content.

    Right click on jpeg and choose open with....then select choose program,
    select explorer if that's what you want to open jpegs then select the box at
    the bottom to always use that program.

    > Hi! Ran the fix and Adobe Reader 7.0 is still being invoked.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    >
    >> JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix (Restore the default associations for
    >> jpe/jpg/jpeg files)
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>
    >> 05MustangGT wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never
    >> > experienced
    >> > before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
    >> > Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts
    >> > and says
    >> > it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I
    >> > want to
    >> > use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
    >> > temporarily. Thanks for your help.
    >> >
    >> > Dave
    >> > tuckerdw@cox.net

    What I am reading is the Acrobat 7 is a hydra whose tentacles reach into
    everything, including IE, and is almost impossible to remove. The box
    remains unopened here for that reason.

    Dave,

    Give this utility as try.

    Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

    Select .JPG from the list and Repair associations.

    --

    > Hi! I ran the cmd and the JPG fix and Adobe Reader is still being
    > invoked.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Dave,
    >>
    >> Type this in Start, Run:
    >>
    >> cmd /c assoc .jpg=jpegfile
    >>
    >> If that does not help, apply the .JPG fix from:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "05MustangGT" <05MustangGT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am having a problem with Acrobat Reader which I have never experienced
    >> > before. I installed Acrobat Reader 7.0. Now when I invoke Windows
    >> > Explorer and click on a JPEG file, the Acrobat Reader program starts
    >> > and
    >> > says
    >> > it can't read the file. Why is Acrobat Reader being invoked when I
    >> > want
    >> > use Windows Explorer to read the JPEG file? I removed Acrobat 7.0
    >> > temporarily. Thanks for your help.
    >> >
    >> > Dave
    >> > tuckerdw@cox.net

    Ramesh, hey it worked!!! Thank you -- I certainly appreciate it.

    Dave

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:03:55 GMT, "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com>

    >Right click on jpeg and choose open with....then select choose program,
    >select explorer if that's what you want to open jpegs then select the box at
    >the bottom to always use that program.

    That will destroy all non-default actions for that file type.

    Tip Of The Day:
    To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...

    And set new ones for explorer.

    "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:cmkvf152heo08kjur1uno089u8uqh9lass@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:03:55 GMT, "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com>
    >
    >>Right click on jpeg and choose open with....then select choose program,
    >>select explorer if that's what you want to open jpegs then select the box
    >>at
    >>the bottom to always use that program.
    >
    > That will destroy all non-default actions for that file type.
    >

    >>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    > Tip Of The Day:
    > To disable the 'Tip of the Day' feature...
    >>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    You're welcome Dave.

    --

    > Ramesh, hey it worked!!! Thank you -- I certainly appreciate it.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Dave,
    >>
    >> Give this utility as try.
    >>
    >> Repair image file type associations in Windows XP:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm
    >>
    >> Select .JPG from the list and Repair associations.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Windows Explorer Acrobat Microsoft Windows XP