HP d1000e not available?

Gonzo

I just got my ATI mainboard / Athlon64 based HP d1000e.

I just noticed that this system is no longer being sold at hpshopping.com.

This system just came out so Im curious as to why it was there a few days
ago and now is not on their site.

Anybody know?

The d100e is the model I was going to order very soon. Now HP is
selling only last years model the a850e. With Carly Fiorina jumping
ship, HP is acting like a ruderless ocean liner, with no clear
destination.

Aghnis

This implies that Capt. Carly had a strong hand on the rudder during her reign.
Results, except for printers, indicate a very shaky hand, which is why she was
pushed off the ship. She didn't jump, but she'll land on her feet in some
high-paying high-visibility job. Sadly, even the execs proven incompetent
somehow end up in top jobs again, until they retire with a huge pension. I
could tell you about the career of one of my ex-bosses, who was thoroughly
incompetent when I worked for him but who scored big in company after company,
leaving each in a shambles behind him. His biography would make interesting
telling, but I won't get to write it... Ben Myers

On 9 Mar 2005 13:02:54 -0800, "aghnis@yahoo.com" <aghnis@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The d100e is the model I was going to order very soon. Now HP is
>selling only last years model the a850e. With Carly Fiorina jumping
>ship, HP is acting like a ruderless ocean liner, with no clear
>destination.
>
>Aghnis

Gonzo

<aghnis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The d100e is the model I was going to order very soon. Now HP is
> selling only last years model the a850e. With Carly Fiorina jumping
> ship, HP is acting like a ruderless ocean liner, with no clear
> destination.

Well thank God it's not proprietary like the old days.

Only reason I didn't build my own system is because the sum of the parts
would actually have cost me more in this case so it looked like a good deal
to me.

You are right about Capt. Carly, she essentially walked the plank and
got away with 21 million. See
http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/09/technology/hp_fiorina/?cnn=yes
And I read somewhere that she is being considerd for some job at the
UN.

But this does not excuse the present management at HP of discontinuing
new computer models and selling last years models on HP's website as
new models. This is a very poor management decision on someone's part.
I doubt that HP will continue long into the future as a premiere
computer manufacturer especially since IBM has just sold their computer
business to the Chinese.. I wonder if anyone from HP reads these NGs?

Aghnis

aghnis@yahoo.com wrote:
> You are right about Capt. Carly, she essentially walked the plank and
> got away with 21 million. See
> http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/09/technology/hp_fiorina/?cnn=yes
> And I read somewhere that she is being considerd for some job at the
> UN.

It's head of the World Bank. People can't decide if she or Wolfowitz
would be better for the job:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,1431322,00.html

OBTW, it really was $45 million if you count the value of recently vested
options. On top of $70 million for masterminding the merger, and $65 million
as a "signing bonus", which she managed to turn into $18 million through
her masterful leadership. Next time, she should ask for cash instead of
stock options.

Good grief. This is what is wrong with this nation, where a few people
take millions and leave the rest for us real workers. In 2002, Joe
Nacchio left Qwest, a company worth $86 billion, and departed with $260
million. He left Qwest on the brink of insolvency. This same story is
repeated at many organizations, where a few corrupt individuals rip off
the system. This leaves less money available for the real workers.

In the computer industry, with IBM selling with U.S. Government
Approval, their computer business to a Chinese company, we can expect
to see the market flooded in the near future with cheap IBM computers.
This will put a real strain on both HP and Dell.

Aghnis

aghnis@yahoo.com wrote:
> Good grief. This is what is wrong with this nation, where a few people
> take millions and leave the rest for us real workers. In 2002, Joe
> Nacchio left Qwest, a company worth $86 billion, and departed with $260
> million. He left Qwest on the brink of insolvency. This same story is
> repeated at many organizations, where a few corrupt individuals rip off
> the system. This leaves less money available for the real workers.

After the merger went through, Carly celebrated by having the company buy
two new Gulfstream jets for 40 million+ a pop, at the same time she was laying
off 17,000 workers to save money. The girl liked to travel in style. These
were in addition to the two other Gulfstreams they bought after she first got
hired. Prior to that, they had been down to only two jets, since Lew Platt
had sold several others as an austerity measure before he left.

> In the computer industry, with IBM selling with U.S. Government
> Approval, their computer business to a Chinese company, we can expect
> to see the market flooded in the near future with cheap IBM computers.
> This will put a real strain on both HP and Dell.

For many years now, consumer computers from HP, Compaq, Gateway, and others
have been designed and built by contract manufacturers on mainland China.
"Support" is generally provided by ill-trained contractors in India reading
useless information off a computer monitor, in broken English.

Whether Lenovo can take the money-losing IBM operation and turn a profit
with it remains to be seen. The governmental approval was a joke, all the
technology was transferred to China years ago and there just aren't any
secrets left. Probably in three years, they will be cloning top-end Intel
and AMD processors.

Dell's an interesting case, they've been able to manufacture in the US
successfully by innovative hardware design, and squeezing their vendors
as hard as Wal-Mart does. I sure hope they can continue to be successful.

-Dave

> Aghnis

Dell has lately been using offshore Contract Electronics Manufacturers (CEMs)
like everyone else. Foxconn is one of them.

For cloning chips, the Taiwanese have been sort of doing it for years, Via
Technology, Silicon Integrated Systems and Acer Labs Inc as the three major
motherboard chipset designer-manufacturers competing with Intel. The chips are
not exact Intel clones, but rather chips that perform the same functions.

As far as cloning an Intel processor, that's gonna be devilishly hard. Only AMD
has succeeded with an X86 CPU. Cyrix pretty much failed after a long hard try.
Transmeta is about to go under. National Semi's Centaur unit never got off the
ground.

Electronics chips are where the value really lies. Seems like most anyone with
a wave solder machine can make boards and solder the chips on... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> Dell has lately been using offshore Contract Electronics Manufacturers (CEMs)
> like everyone else. Foxconn is one of them.

No, not really. They have two large US plants and are building a third.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/general/2005/01/03/generalraleigh_2005_01_03_eng-raleigh_business_eng-raleigh_business_064037_6624076909923269543.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=

They do some work overseas, virtually all with their own employees rather than
contract manufacturers. Trying to lump them in with the other PC makers is
a big mistake.

Dell started the whole out sourcing wave. They were the first to
outsource tech support oversees. Dell spends very little money in R&D.
I do no know when the last you looked inside a Dell, Gateway or
Emachine but they are the companies using inferior parts. HP and Sony
are the only two left that spend money on R&D. Unless you want a
no-name $10.00 motherboard stay away from Dell (foxconn boards) or
until they find something cheaper. I think Dell has everyone fooled.
They do sell a cheap computer however if you start upgrading...whoa..it
cost than an HP.

Back to the original thread topic; both the d1000e and d1000y were
permanently discontinued shortly after introduction. It's a shame
because they looked like potentially some of the best HP "consumer" PCs
to come along for quite a while, but I've never seen one in person
since they got yanked so fast. I've also never received a stright
answer as to why. Perhaps HP's new CEO will affect some positive
changes.

Check out HP's site, they have re-introduced new models finally, i.e.
a1030e series. Maybe the new CEO is already enacting positive changes?

Aghnis

Gonzo

<ken.martindale@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Back to the original thread topic; both the d1000e and d1000y were
> permanently discontinued shortly after introduction. It's a shame
> because they looked like potentially some of the best HP "consumer" PCs
> to come along for quite a while, but I've never seen one in person
> since they got yanked so fast. I've also never received a stright
> answer as to why. Perhaps HP's new CEO will affect some positive
> changes.

Well at least I have one. Perhaps it will be a collectors item in a few
years LOL.