8100 and Device Manager

Checking up on the stuff on my device managers I find three are
"yellowed" with an " ! ".

One is the Standard Display Adapter " VGA " Couldn't find the driver
in my "CAB" file.

One is "unknown device" under "Other Devices." Tried to deleted it,
but when I rebooted Windows found this unknown device and asked for
the drivers.

Last one is PCI Universal Serial Bus.

All three have the same message under properties.

"Device status

The Driver for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall
the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Drivers."

When I do that no drivers are found on the hard drive that meet the
need. The Driver Disk that came with the computer doesn't have these
drivers on it as best I can tell.

It's a Windows ME OS.

Machine seems to run ok as is. Any suggestions?
9 answers Last reply
More about 8100 device manager

    Bill wrote:

    > Checking up on the stuff on my device managers I find three are
    > "yellowed" with an " ! ".
    >
    > One is the Standard Display Adapter " VGA " Couldn't find the driver
    > in my "CAB" file.
    >
    > One is "unknown device" under "Other Devices." Tried to deleted it,
    > but when I rebooted Windows found this unknown device and asked for
    > the drivers.
    >
    > Last one is PCI Universal Serial Bus.
    >
    > All three have the same message under properties.
    >
    > "Device status
    >
    > The Driver for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall
    > the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Drivers."
    >
    > When I do that no drivers are found on the hard drive that meet the
    > need. The Driver Disk that came with the computer doesn't have these
    > drivers on it as best I can tell.
    >
    > It's a Windows ME OS.
    >
    > Machine seems to run ok as is. Any suggestions?

    It came this way from Dell? And where is the recovery CDROM
    and the other utility, accessories, etc. CDROM's?

    Hi Bill,

    1. The Standard Display Adapter " VGA " driver is shown as you need
    specific drivers for your particular graphics card (nVidia/ATI) or onboard
    graphics for best performance. I don't know which graphics card you have,
    but check the Dell download site particular to your system for the latest
    drivers.

    2. The "unknown device" under "Other Devices" is most likely that funky
    little "e-support" button that used to come on models a few years ago. Your
    system should work fine without installing drivers for it, but if you want
    the drivers, you can find them, along with instructions here:
    http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?dn=1043516

    3. Your USB drivers should come automatically with the board's chipset
    drivers. To reinstall the latest version of the chipset drivers for your
    system, check the Dell download site particular to your system for the
    latest drivers.

    Sounds like you did a clean reinstallation of the OS at some point?

    Hope this helps you out,
    Russell
    http://tastycomputers.com

    "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > Checking up on the stuff on my device managers I find three are
    > "yellowed" with an " ! ".
    >
    > One is the Standard Display Adapter " VGA " Couldn't find the driver
    > in my "CAB" file.
    >
    > One is "unknown device" under "Other Devices." Tried to deleted it,
    > but when I rebooted Windows found this unknown device and asked for
    > the drivers.
    >
    > Last one is PCI Universal Serial Bus.
    >
    > All three have the same message under properties.
    >
    > "Device status
    >
    > The Driver for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall
    > the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Drivers."
    >
    > When I do that no drivers are found on the hard drive that meet the
    > need. The Driver Disk that came with the computer doesn't have these
    > drivers on it as best I can tell.
    >
    > It's a Windows ME OS.
    >
    > Machine seems to run ok as is. Any suggestions?

    Which video card? Ati Mobility Radeon or Nvidia Geforce2 Go?
    Check http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/ - select I8100, Windows ME,
    english & all.
    Unknown - maybe Dell Access direct, Chipset updates or OS updates.
    PCI USB - see above line of chipset updates & OS updates.

    "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > Checking up on the stuff on my device managers I find three are
    > "yellowed" with an " ! ".
    >
    > One is the Standard Display Adapter " VGA " Couldn't find the driver
    > in my "CAB" file.
    >
    > One is "unknown device" under "Other Devices." Tried to deleted it,
    > but when I rebooted Windows found this unknown device and asked for
    > the drivers.
    >
    > Last one is PCI Universal Serial Bus.
    >
    > All three have the same message under properties.
    >
    > "Device status
    >
    > The Driver for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall
    > the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Drivers."
    >
    > When I do that no drivers are found on the hard drive that meet the
    > need. The Driver Disk that came with the computer doesn't have these
    > drivers on it as best I can tell.
    >
    > It's a Windows ME OS.
    >
    > Machine seems to run ok as is. Any suggestions?

    We need some clarification, as the answers are mixing the Dimension 8100 and
    the Inspiron 8100. Based on the info in the original post, I believe it is
    a Dimension 8100 (which runs flawlessly with XP, by the way).

    Tom
    "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Which video card? Ati Mobility Radeon or Nvidia Geforce2 Go?
    > Check http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/ - select I8100, Windows
    ME,
    > english & all.
    > Unknown - maybe Dell Access direct, Chipset updates or OS updates.
    > PCI USB - see above line of chipset updates & OS updates.
    >
    > "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > > Checking up on the stuff on my device managers I find three are
    > > "yellowed" with an " ! ".
    > >
    > > One is the Standard Display Adapter " VGA " Couldn't find the driver
    > > in my "CAB" file.
    > >
    > > One is "unknown device" under "Other Devices." Tried to deleted it,
    > > but when I rebooted Windows found this unknown device and asked for
    > > the drivers.
    > >
    > > Last one is PCI Universal Serial Bus.
    > >
    > > All three have the same message under properties.
    > >
    > > "Device status
    > >
    > > The Driver for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall
    > > the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Drivers."
    > >
    > > When I do that no drivers are found on the hard drive that meet the
    > > need. The Driver Disk that came with the computer doesn't have these
    > > drivers on it as best I can tell.
    > >
    > > It's a Windows ME OS.
    > >
    > > Machine seems to run ok as is. Any suggestions?

    Yes it does, *provided* you flash the BIOS to XP2. I found that out the hard
    way.

    > We need some clarification, as the answers are mixing the Dimension 8100
    and
    > the Inspiron 8100. Based on the info in the original post, I believe it
    is
    > a Dimension 8100 (which runs flawlessly with XP, by the way).
    >
    > Tom
    > "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > Which video card? Ati Mobility Radeon or Nvidia Geforce2 Go?
    > > Check http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/ - select I8100, Windows
    > ME,
    > > english & all.
    > > Unknown - maybe Dell Access direct, Chipset updates or OS updates.
    > > PCI USB - see above line of chipset updates & OS updates.
    > >
    > > "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > > > Checking up on the stuff on my device managers I find three are
    > > > "yellowed" with an " ! ".
    > > >
    > > > One is the Standard Display Adapter " VGA " Couldn't find the driver
    > > > in my "CAB" file.
    > > >
    > > > One is "unknown device" under "Other Devices." Tried to deleted it,
    > > > but when I rebooted Windows found this unknown device and asked for
    > > > the drivers.
    > > >
    > > > Last one is PCI Universal Serial Bus.
    > > >
    > > > All three have the same message under properties.
    > > >
    > > > "Device status
    > > >
    > > > The Driver for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall
    > > > the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Drivers."
    > > >
    > > > When I do that no drivers are found on the hard drive that meet the
    > > > need. The Driver Disk that came with the computer doesn't have these
    > > > drivers on it as best I can tell.
    > > >
    > > > It's a Windows ME OS.
    > > >
    > > > Machine seems to run ok as is. Any suggestions?

    Hmm, interesting. I'm still running a Dimension 8100 with XP on the A09
    bios, since we dual boot Me.

    What problems did you have?

    Tom
    "Sideshow Bob" <mergatroid@_nospam_.bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Yes it does, *provided* you flash the BIOS to XP2. I found that out the
    hard
    > way.

    > > We need some clarification, as the answers are mixing the Dimension 8100
    > and
    > > the Inspiron 8100. Based on the info in the original post, I believe it
    > is
    > > a Dimension 8100 (which runs flawlessly with XP, by the way).
    > >
    > > Tom
    > > "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > > Which video card? Ati Mobility Radeon or Nvidia Geforce2 Go?
    > > > Check http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/ - select I8100,
    Windows
    > > ME,
    > > > english & all.
    > > > Unknown - maybe Dell Access direct, Chipset updates or OS updates.
    > > > PCI USB - see above line of chipset updates & OS updates.
    > > >
    > > > "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message

    I upgraded a friend's Dimension 8100 from Me to XP Pro. Completely fresh
    installation, formatted the HD & started from scratch. Certain programs
    would either run flaky or not run at all, for no apparent reason. The only
    specific program I can remember now is a free one called Auction Submit
    (She's big into Ebay). Drove me nuts. Finally, out of desperation I flashed
    the BIOS from A08 to XP2 since I had tried everything else I knew. That
    fixed it, it's run great ever since. It must significantly change how the
    computer allocates resources for managing and running programs. It's the
    BIOS version Dell recommends for running XP.

    > Hmm, interesting. I'm still running a Dimension 8100 with XP on the A09
    > bios, since we dual boot Me.
    >
    > What problems did you have?
    >
    > Tom
    > "Sideshow Bob" <mergatroid@_nospam_.bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes it does, *provided* you flash the BIOS to XP2. I found that out the
    > hard
    > > way.
    > >

    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > > We need some clarification, as the answers are mixing the Dimension
    8100
    > > and
    > > > the Inspiron 8100. Based on the info in the original post, I believe
    it
    > > is
    > > > a Dimension 8100 (which runs flawlessly with XP, by the way).
    > > >
    > > > Tom
    > > > "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Windows
    > > > ME,

    > driver

    > it,

    > reinstall

    > these

    True, it is. I suspect the difference is A08 vs. A09. A09 was immediately
    prior to the XP2 bios and pretty stable.

    > I upgraded a friend's Dimension 8100 from Me to XP Pro. Completely fresh
    > installation, formatted the HD & started from scratch. Certain programs
    > would either run flaky or not run at all, for no apparent reason. The only
    > specific program I can remember now is a free one called Auction Submit
    > (She's big into Ebay). Drove me nuts. Finally, out of desperation I
    flashed
    > the BIOS from A08 to XP2 since I had tried everything else I knew. That
    > fixed it, it's run great ever since. It must significantly change how the
    > computer allocates resources for managing and running programs. It's the
    > BIOS version Dell recommends for running XP.

    > > Hmm, interesting. I'm still running a Dimension 8100 with XP on the A09
    > > bios, since we dual boot Me.
    > >
    > > What problems did you have?
    > >
    > > Tom
    > > "Sideshow Bob" <mergatroid@_nospam_.bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > > > Yes it does, *provided* you flash the BIOS to XP2. I found that out
    the
    > > hard
    > > > way.
    > > >

    > > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > 8100
    > > > and
    > it
    > > > is

    > > Windows

    > > driver

    > > it,
    > for

    > > reinstall

    > the
    > > these

    Oops - having used an I8100 and not that model dimension I didn't think of
    that model.
    Still similar area on download site - and yes I agree with BIOS update -
    quite often fixes all sorts of ills (has on Dell, Compaq Deskpro DPEP, IBM
    300PL etc) where the cure isn't obvious.

    > We need some clarification, as the answers are mixing the Dimension 8100
    and
    > the Inspiron 8100. Based on the info in the original post, I believe it
    is
    > a Dimension 8100 (which runs flawlessly with XP, by the way).
    >
    > Tom
    > "Robert" <PcTech@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > > Which video card? Ati Mobility Radeon or Nvidia Geforce2 Go?
    > > Check http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/filelib/ - select I8100, Windows
    > ME,
    > > english & all.
    > > Unknown - maybe Dell Access direct, Chipset updates or OS updates.
    > > PCI USB - see above line of chipset updates & OS updates.
    > >
    > > "Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
    > > > Checking up on the stuff on my device managers I find three are
    > > > "yellowed" with an " ! ".
    > > >
    > > > One is the Standard Display Adapter " VGA " Couldn't find the driver
    > > > in my "CAB" file.
    > > >
    > > > One is "unknown device" under "Other Devices." Tried to deleted it,
    > > > but when I rebooted Windows found this unknown device and asked for
    > > > the drivers.
    > > >
    > > > Last one is PCI Universal Serial Bus.
    > > >
    > > > All three have the same message under properties.
    > > >
    > > > "Device status
    > > >
    > > > The Driver for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall
    > > > the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Drivers."
    > > >
    > > > When I do that no drivers are found on the hard drive that meet the
    > > > need. The Driver Disk that came with the computer doesn't have these
    > > > drivers on it as best I can tell.
    > > >
    > > > It's a Windows ME OS.
    > > >
    > > > Machine seems to run ok as is. Any suggestions?

Dell Device Manager Drivers Devices Computers