Sign in with
Your question

Notebooks/Laptops

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 19, 2012 12:01:20 PM

Can you please suggest a good laptop/notebook for me. I am a programmer.I am planning to do the following stuff with my laptop :
Linux OS (probably ubuntu)
Android development
Hackintosh (if possible)
IOS development
light entertainment purposes

My budget is around 35,000 Rupees. I have tried doing some research through internet but I am bit confused about buying one. I am looking for an anti-glare screen, 4 GB ram(2 slots is what I'm looking for), no OS (as I want multiple boots and buying a laptop with OS might be a stupid thing as I may need to format the system). About the processor the i5 second generation and 3rd generation is really confusing me.. will that make a real difference ? Please help me in picking a good one.

Thanks and regards
Ram

More about : notebooks laptops

a b D Laptop
July 24, 2012 7:42:58 PM

While I'm not sure if the Hackintosh is possible on the new Dell Precisions they just released, for development purposes any current ASUS will do. You will probably want a large enough screen for coding, say 15 inches, so shop around for that size.

As for the i5 2nd and 3rd gen, it is just a label for the older Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) and newer Ivy Bridge (3rd gen). The Ivy Bridge CPUs are newer and feature a much more robust graphics core (still not good for serious gaming), and the CPU has improved IPC by about 10% on average.

You may get good discounts on the 2nd gen i5's, but if you can, pick up the 3rd gen (since you said light entertainment, which may involve some games) with a nice 15 inch screen.
m
l
July 25, 2012 6:35:22 AM

Maxx_Power said:
While I'm not sure if the Hackintosh is possible on the new Dell Precisions they just released, for development purposes any current ASUS will do. You will probably want a large enough screen for coding, say 15 inches, so shop around for that size.

As for the i5 2nd and 3rd gen, it is just a label for the older Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) and newer Ivy Bridge (3rd gen). The Ivy Bridge CPUs are newer and feature a much more robust graphics core (still not good for serious gaming), and the CPU has improved IPC by about 10% on average.

You may get good discounts on the 2nd gen i5's, but if you can, pick up the 3rd gen (since you said light entertainment, which may involve some games) with a nice 15 inch screen.

Thanks @maxx_power, I would look for a 3rd generation lap then.
m
l
!