Has anyone ever succesfully removed packing tape from a tr..

I've got a sticky situation. The tape is on the mask side. I fear any
conventional attempt to remove it will destroy the artwork. Is there
an unconventional approach? Would freeze spray work?

Thanks,

h_h
8 answers Last reply
More about succesfully removed packing tape

    Is the theory that this will soften the glue at the edges of the tape,
    and then I pull it back a bit to let it get further in? I don't think
    the GooGone will permeate the celophane. Or will it? How long can I
    have the Goo Gone in contact with the mask before I risk disolving
    that?

    Thanks,

    h_h

    I use naptha for a lot of stuff like this. Lighter fluid even has the
    handy squeeze bottle witha directional nozzle. Breaks up adhesives and
    doesn't attack artwork, at least in my experience. YMMV

    K2

    > I've got a sticky situation. The tape is on the mask side. I fear any
    > conventional attempt to remove it will destroy the artwork. Is there
    > an unconventional approach? Would freeze spray work?

    Goo-Gone

    --
    Mike S.
    Kalamazoo, MI

    Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
    W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
    M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

    Mike, I think he needs to remove the tape before he needs to worry about Goo
    Gone ;-)

    IMHO the only thing that might work is freeze spray, and either it will work
    perfectly or it will be a total bust. When the stuff works, the tape will
    practically fall off of whatever it's stuck to on its own -- but I can only
    get Mylar to behave like that occasionally and still haven't figured out
    what the secret is. Lots of freeze, I guess.

    Randy

    "Mike Schudel" <schudel5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I've got a sticky situation. The tape is on the mask side. I fear any
    >> conventional attempt to remove it will destroy the artwork. Is there
    >> an unconventional approach? Would freeze spray work?
    >
    > Goo-Gone
    >
    > --
    > Mike S.
    > Kalamazoo, MI
    >
    > Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
    > W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
    > M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

    > Mike, I think he needs to remove the tape before he needs to worry about
    > Goo Gone ;-)

    They make a Goo-Gone gel that he can spray on and let set for a couple
    hours. Believe me the tape will come right off. The Goo-Gone softens up
    the glue and does not damage the white mask.

    --
    Mike S.
    Kalamazoo, MI

    Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
    W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
    M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

    > Is the theory that this will soften the glue at the edges of the tape,
    > and then I pull it back a bit to let it get further in? I don't think
    > the GooGone will permeate the celophane. Or will it?

    Just as you use Goo-Gone to remove ramp decals. Those are impervious to
    Goo-Gone as well, but it will disolve the adhesive and then you lift and
    spray more underneath if necessary.

    > How long can I
    > have the Goo Gone in contact with the mask before I risk disolving
    > that?

    It won't disolve the making.

    --
    Mike S.
    Kalamazoo, MI

    Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
    W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
    M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

    You could try placing some damp newspaper on the tape for half a day or
    so. I have never tried it on a translite but works for rego stickers on
    car windows.

    Dave

    yeah - Naptha [zippo lighter fluid] is the schiznick.
    i always have some handy - use it all the time to get sticky stuff off and a
    helluva lot cheaper than goo gone, or un-du.

    Dan

    <kenny_iik@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I use naptha for a lot of stuff like this. Lighter fluid even has the
    > handy squeeze bottle witha directional nozzle. Breaks up adhesives and
    > doesn't attack artwork, at least in my experience. YMMV
    >
    > K2

Games Video Games