Has anyone ever succesfully removed packing tape from a tr..

Last response: in Video Games
June 29, 2005 10:54:08 AM

I've got a sticky situation. The tape is on the mask side. I fear any
conventional attempt to remove it will destroy the artwork. Is there
an unconventional approach? Would freeze spray work?

Thanks,

h_h
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:03:46 PM

Is the theory that this will soften the glue at the edges of the tape,
and then I pull it back a bit to let it get further in? I don't think
the GooGone will permeate the celophane. Or will it? How long can I
have the Goo Gone in contact with the mask before I risk disolving
that?

Thanks,

h_h
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:59:41 PM

I use naptha for a lot of stuff like this. Lighter fluid even has the
handy squeeze bottle witha directional nozzle. Breaks up adhesives and
doesn't attack artwork, at least in my experience. YMMV

K2
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:27:12 PM

> I've got a sticky situation. The tape is on the mask side. I fear any
> conventional attempt to remove it will destroy the artwork. Is there
> an unconventional approach? Would freeze spray work?

Goo-Gone

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu
June 29, 2005 2:27:13 PM

Mike, I think he needs to remove the tape before he needs to worry about Goo
Gone ;-)

IMHO the only thing that might work is freeze spray, and either it will work
perfectly or it will be a total bust. When the stuff works, the tape will
practically fall off of whatever it's stuck to on its own -- but I can only
get Mylar to behave like that occasionally and still haven't figured out
what the secret is. Lots of freeze, I guess.

Randy

"Mike Schudel" <schudel5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I've got a sticky situation. The tape is on the mask side. I fear any
>> conventional attempt to remove it will destroy the artwork. Is there
>> an unconventional approach? Would freeze spray work?
>
> Goo-Gone
>
> --
> Mike S.
> Kalamazoo, MI
>
> Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
> W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
> M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

June 29, 2005 2:53:37 PM

> Mike, I think he needs to remove the tape before he needs to worry about
> Goo Gone ;-)

They make a Goo-Gone gel that he can spray on and let set for a couple
hours. Believe me the tape will come right off. The Goo-Gone softens up
the glue and does not damage the white mask.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu
June 29, 2005 3:09:47 PM

> Is the theory that this will soften the glue at the edges of the tape,
> and then I pull it back a bit to let it get further in? I don't think
> the GooGone will permeate the celophane. Or will it?

Just as you use Goo-Gone to remove ramp decals. Those are impervious to
Goo-Gone as well, but it will disolve the adhesive and then you lift and
spray more underneath if necessary.

> How long can I
> have the Goo Gone in contact with the mask before I risk disolving
> that?

It won't disolve the making.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu
June 29, 2005 6:06:04 PM

You could try placing some damp newspaper on the tape for half a day or
so. I have never tried it on a translite but works for rego stickers on
car windows.

Dave
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 7:19:09 PM

yeah - Naptha [zippo lighter fluid] is the schiznick.
i always have some handy - use it all the time to get sticky stuff off and a
helluva lot cheaper than goo gone, or un-du.

Dan

!