Dell Tech Support

Does anyone know how to get real, English speaking knowledgeable tech
support from Dell? Is there a secret phone number somewhere? Is their only
tech support grad school drop-outs in India? I cannot believe this company
is still in business with the worse than nothing "tech support" they
provide. They should be sued for their false TV advertising for showing a
young, knowledgeable American tech support guy talking on the phone. What a
bunch of bullshit.

> They should be sued for their false TV advertising for showing a
> young, knowledgeable American tech support guy talking on the phone.

What does a "knowledgeable American tech support guy" look like? *rolls
eyes*

Take off that white hood of yours, you'll see a lot better without it when
it's not narrowing down your field of vision. :D

"Lenny" <you@wish.haha> wrote in message

>> They should be sued for their false TV advertising for showing a
>> young, knowledgeable American tech support guy talking on the phone.
>
> What does a "knowledgeable American tech support guy" look like? *rolls
> eyes*
>
> Take off that white hood of yours, you'll see a lot better without it when
> it's not narrowing down your field of vision. :D

That's right. If he's not careful, with that kind of attitude he might wind
up being the senior senator from WV.....

Another troll...BOHICA!

Ted Zieglar

"rila" <dlcs1944@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to get real, English speaking knowledgeable tech
> support from Dell? Is there a secret phone number somewhere? Is their
only
> tech support grad school drop-outs in India? I cannot believe this
company
> is still in business with the worse than nothing "tech support" they
> provide. They should be sued for their false TV advertising for showing a
> young, knowledgeable American tech support guy talking on the phone. What
> bunch of bullshit.

>Take off that white hood of yours, you'll see a
> lot better without it when it's not narrowing
> down your field of vision. :D

Oh, so if someone wants and has a right to expect good Dell tech
support, they are now considered prejudiced? Then I guess there are a
LOT of people wearing white hoods these days!

Yes, this has been discussed on here but no answers were given that
would help someone who buys for the home unless we want to resort to
lying and pretending we are a business. It would seem the cherished
Gold Tech Support is not for the lowly homeowner and I say "lowly"
because that would seem Dell's classification since they save their best
support for business owners, from what I have read and understand.
Dell's advertising still indicates one can expect to receive good tech
support and to also be able to understand the person speaking. I could
care less about the nationality of the tech but I do have to be able to
understand the person and feel assured he has qualified knowledge of
Dell computers.

The poster asked a sensible question and if someone has a logical
answer, it could be a help to many of us.

Bea

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

In article <8028-4238590F-585@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net>, bsmp59
@webtv.net says...
> >Take off that white hood of yours, you'll see a
> > lot better without it when it's not narrowing
> > down your field of vision. :D
>
> Oh, so if someone wants and has a right to expect good Dell tech
> support, they are now considered prejudiced? Then I guess there are a
> LOT of people wearing white hoods these days!
>
> Yes, this has been discussed on here but no answers were given that
> would help someone who buys for the home unless we want to resort to
> lying and pretending we are a business. It would seem the cherished
> Gold Tech Support is not for the lowly homeowner and I say "lowly"
> because that would seem Dell's classification since they save their best
> support for business owners, from what I have read and understand.
> Dell's advertising still indicates one can expect to receive good tech
> support and to also be able to understand the person speaking. I could
> care less about the nationality of the tech but I do have to be able to
> understand the person and feel assured he has qualified knowledge of
> Dell computers.
>
> The poster asked a sensible question and if someone has a logical
> answer, it could be a help to many of us.

The answer is NO. There is no number that a consumer can call that will
gaurantee that the call is handled in the U.S.

However, as someone who works in a Dell call center in the U.S. I can
tell you that just because you get someone in the U.S., it doesn't mean
they're knowledgable. Half the people in our call center use the
decision trees as much if not more so than they do overseas. And half
of those overseas that I have dealt with on a regular basis are just as,
if not more, knowledgable about Dell computers than anyone working in
the U.S. call centers.

Just because they don't speak english as well, does not mean they're
stupid.

If you want a 100% gaurantee that the person your talking to knows
everything about your computer and how to fix it, buy it from a local
store or have a local consultant build it for you. Buying from Dell,
Gateway, IBM, HP/Compaq or any other mass retailer is NOT going to get
you what you want.

And if you really believe that you have to LIE to purchase a computer
from the business division, then you're an idiot. I do not have a
business license and I have purchased several computers from the
business division. When asked for my business name I simply give them
my own name and tell them that I do business under my own name. It is
the truth since I sell a few things on eBay now and again and I do my
taxes and accounting on my computer.

Additionally, if you order your computer from the Dell web site on the
small business side you are NEVER asked by anyone for your business
name. The web site asks for it, but again, you simply fill in your own
name. The only time you will be asked for a Federal Tax ID is if you
want to purchase it with no tax for resell.

So get off your little bullshit wagon and join the rest of us in the
real world.

** Dave **

>However, as someone who works in a Dell call
> center in the U.S. I can tell you that just
> because

Wow! Now I know I must buy a Dell. I am so impressed by it's workers
and how well they are trained to respond to individuals, if YOU are
truly an employee.

You managed to call me an "idiot" when you could have been more
professional and that "wagon" you referred to must be the one you sit in
when you are doing your job for Dell. MY wagon is very clean because I
don't pretend to do business just to buy a computer.

I do not agree with you that doing my taxes on my computer equates it to
being a business. If you do, good for you. But then again, you work
for Dell so you must have a different set of rules to live by than I do.
Have a nice day! BTW, have you ever heard of Dale Carnegie?

Bea

bsmp59@webtv.net (Bea xx) wrote in news:8028-4238590F-585@storefull-
3253.bay.webtv.net:

> Yes, this has been discussed on here but no answers were given that
> would help someone who buys for the home unless we want to resort to
> lying and pretending we are a business.

Well, unfortunately that *IS* the answer.

It's not really a matter of "Lying" though, it's a matter of what the
service tag classifies the machine as - If the service tag belongs to an
Optiplex or Latitude, it's presumed to be a business. If it's an
Inspiron or Dimension, it's presumed to be a home user and is routed
accordingly.

I don't see support for the home user ever getting any better, because
it's not really MEANT to be first-rate technical support, it's meant to
handle calls from people who don't know how to plug in a mouse, which is
what 99% of their consumer calls are like. I've worked on hotlines (not
Dell's) before, you wouldn't believe the quantitity of inane calls. I
don't know how they can handle it even as well as they do. Believe me,
technically oriented questions like we see on this newsgroup are
statistically an insignificant minority of the calls that a PC call
center gets. They have to plan their resources for what they typically
get.

(And before I get flamed, I'm not deriding that abilities of any home
users here - Anyone who has even the minimum wherewithal to be reading
this newsgroup is IMHO above the level of the general public that these
call centers TYPICALLY have to deal with)

I personally have had decent (Not perfect, but decent) support from
Dell. But then my home machines are an Optiplex GX240 and a Latitude
C640 notebook, which probably gets me routed to business-level support
just based on what the machines are.

- FM -

Just for the record, I bought all my Dell computers from the Small Business
Division and I have never been in business. I admit it. So come get me,
Dell. I scammed you. Come get me. I dare you.

Ted Zieglar

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:34:59 -0600, Dave wrote:

> Just because they don't speak english as well, does not mean they're
> stupid.

I agree, but in many instances the language barrier presents a BIG
problem. What a US customer might call a disk drive or some other part
might not been understood by the tech from a non-US based company.

At the same time, most US support people are as easy to "understand" as
anyone else you run into in the US. Most foreign support workers (even
those in the US) are often very hard to understand.

Now, don't get your shorts in a bunch, I have a off-shore development team
with more than 120 people in it, and I also have trouble getting my
ideas/point into a form that the entire team understands the first time,
and I've been working with them for several years. It's not just support
people, it's any person that doesn't speak your language/slang as their
primary language (and the reverse is also true).

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> Oh, so if someone wants and has a right to expect good Dell tech
> support, they are now considered prejudiced?

If what one means by "good tech support" is tech support delivered by
someone that does not look indian, then the answer to your question would be
yes.

> Then I guess there are a
> LOT of people wearing white hoods these days!

Yeah, there's a lot of people prejudiced against people with colored skin -
which ironically IS what an american actually looks like. So the joke's on
you today, Bea. ;-)

I am from the South...if I have to talk to someone with a big-o Yankee
accent (i.e. states that start with "New") I can hardly understand them!

It is just hard to tune our ears to "foreign" accents!

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:34:59 -0600, Dave wrote:
>>
>> Just because they don't speak english as well, does not mean they're
>> stupid.
>
> I agree, but in many instances the language barrier presents a BIG
> problem. What a US customer might call a disk drive or some other part
> might not been understood by the tech from a non-US based company.
>
> At the same time, most US support people are as easy to "understand" as
> anyone else you run into in the US. Most foreign support workers (even
> those in the US) are often very hard to understand.
>
> Now, don't get your shorts in a bunch, I have a off-shore development team
> with more than 120 people in it, and I also have trouble getting my
> ideas/point into a form that the entire team understands the first time,
> and I've been working with them for several years. It's not just support
> people, it's any person that doesn't speak your language/slang as their
> primary language (and the reverse is also true).
>

> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

>Yeah, there's a lot of people prejudiced
> against people with colored skin - which
> ironically IS what an american actually looks
> like. So the joke's on you today, Bea. ;-)

Can't pass this one up, Lenny because unless you have a video set up in
my place and can see me, "the joke's on you".<g

Many races have dark skin and I don't agree there is still a "lot" of
prejudice against such people unless they bring it on themselves by
their attitudes. "Respect is Earned, not Given" and those who live by
this rule can find respect even if they are little purple people, IMO.

Bea

Yes, all those people from New Mexico are REALLY hard to understand.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:03:21 -0600, Cathy De Viney wrote:

> I am from the South...if I have to talk to someone with a big-o Yankee
> accent (i.e. states that start with "New") I can hardly understand them!
>
> It is just hard to tune our ears to "foreign" accents!

It's a big difference between talking to someone from Massachusetts and
talking to someone from India or Germany or China or other places where
their native language is not American English.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

"Many races have dark skin and I don't agree there is still a "lot" of
prejudice against such people unless they bring it on themselves by their
attitudes."

Here on Earth things are very different, unfortunately.

Ted Zieglar

> Yes, all those people from New Mexico are REALLY hard to understand.

What'd y'all say? I can't quite hardly hear yew....

Stew

"Lenny" <you@wish.haha> wrote in message

> > They should be sued for their false TV advertising for showing a
> > young, knowledgeable American tech support guy talking on the phone.
>
> What does a "knowledgeable American tech support guy" look like? *rolls
> eyes*
>
> Take off that white hood of yours, you'll see a lot better without it when
> it's not narrowing down your field of vision. :D

"What does a "knowledgeable American tech support guy" look like?"
Surely you have seen their commercials where an old guy is laying in bed
calling Dell tech support at 2 a.m. The tech chats with him for awhile.
The guy just wanted to make sure they were there when needed. That is what
I am talking about--the tech in the commercial. I am not racist at all. I
don't care if the tech support guy is pink with purple polka dots and
resides on Mars as long as he can communicate with me in my language. I
bought the computer in the USA, so I expect that language to be English
unless or until they change our official language. When I have to tell a
guy how to spell "Clover" (part of my address), I thin there is a huge
language problem. I should not have to speak their native language,
whatever it is, in order to communicate my tech support needs. If you think
that means I am wearing a white hood, then so be it. That's your problem,
not mine.

New Mexicans....Old Mexicans....can be hard to understand....as I am sure it
is hard for them to understand me :)

> New Mexicans....Old Mexicans....can be hard to understand....as I am sure
> it is hard for them to understand me :)

Cathy,

Unless you're from the (true) deep south, I understand you perfectly.

Now Scales, on the other hand, I've been trying for about 4 years to
understand ;-)

My brother is serving time in New Jersey, guilty of having married above the
Mason/Dixon as well as being a social climber. heh heh

Stew

In article <pan.2005.03.17.11.59.43.515850@nowhere.lan>,
void@nowhere.lan says...
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:03:21 -0600, Cathy De Viney wrote:
> >
> > I am from the South...if I have to talk to someone with a big-o Yankee
> > accent (i.e. states that start with "New") I can hardly understand them!
> >
> > It is just hard to tune our ears to "foreign" accents!
>
> It's a big difference between talking to someone from Massachusetts and
> talking to someone from India or Germany or China or other places where
> their native language is not American English.

I got news for you, Dell has people working in their call centers in the
U.S. whose native tongue is not English.

I have a friend who works in Dell consumer sales in Austin. He was born
in Africa and has a distinct african accent. Occasionally, I have a
hard time understanding something he says. He's really good about it
though, he told me up front once that if I didn't understand something
he said to just stop him and ask him to repeat it. He doesn't offend
easily about that kind of stuff.

He is a U.S. citizen and he does get offended when people ask him if
they can be transferred to an american. At that point he usually lets
'em have it.

I have a friend that I work with at my job that could be classified as a
"red neck". He has a slow deep southern accent and every other word out
of his mouth is a contraction or he'll often jam two or three words
together into a new word. I have a harder time understanding him than I
do most foreigners who don't speak english well.

In article <lqWdnRGX2aSEQ6TfRVn-hA@comcast.com>, dlcs1944@hotmail.com
says...
> "Lenny" <you@wish.haha> wrote in message
> >
> > > They should be sued for their false TV advertising for showing a
> > > young, knowledgeable American tech support guy talking on the phone.
> >
> > What does a "knowledgeable American tech support guy" look like? *rolls
> > eyes*
> >
> > Take off that white hood of yours, you'll see a lot better without it when
> > it's not narrowing down your field of vision. :D
> >

> "What does a "knowledgeable American tech support guy" look like?"
> Surely you have seen their commercials where an old guy is laying in bed
> calling Dell tech support at 2 a.m. The tech chats with him for awhile.
> The guy just wanted to make sure they were there when needed. That is what
> I am talking about--the tech in the commercial. I am not racist at all. I
> don't care if the tech support guy is pink with purple polka dots and
> resides on Mars as long as he can communicate with me in my language. I
> bought the computer in the USA, so I expect that language to be English
> unless or until they change our official language. When I have to tell a
> guy how to spell "Clover" (part of my address), I thin there is a huge
> language problem. I should not have to speak their native language,
> whatever it is, in order to communicate my tech support needs. If you think
> that means I am wearing a white hood, then so be it. That's your problem,
> not mine.

The person you "spoke with" is speaking English. Just not well enough
for your tastes. And speaking English and reading/writing it is
something else altogether. I could probably hold my own in a short
conversation in Italian because I grew up around Italians. But I don't
read it or write it.

And YES, I agree that overseas call centers need to do a MUCH better job
with speech training. But that doesn't mean they're useless or they
"don't speak English". They do, just not well enough for you as I
stated before.

And while you may have purchased a computer from a U.S. company, that
doesn't entitle you to support from someone in the U.S. If you want
that kind of support, you gotta pay for it. If you paid the cheapest
price you could for your system, I have no sympathy for you. EVERYTHING
in America costs money and if you want to support americans then you
have to PAY for their salaries.

The cost of a "cheap computer" in this country is the loss of an
American job. We all saw it with the auto industry, we're all seeing it
in the textile industry and we're all still shopping at Wal-Mart for the
cheapest prices. The only reason you're not bitching about your Chinese
made socks with holes in them is because you don't have to call tech
support to get them fixed.

With Dell, Gateway, and Compaq/HP you get what you pay for. If you buy
a cheap PC you get overseas support. If you want 100% gauranteed
american support, buy your computer from a computer store in your local
town. You'll be supporting a local business and they'll support it for
you. Of course, it will cost you more than a Dell, Gateway/Emachine,
Compaq/HP will, and they probably won't answer the phone 24/7, and they
probably won't help you with OS problems, and you'll probably have to go
to them when you need a part replaced, they won't come out to you, and
it probably won't be next day service. But that doesn't matter, does
it?

Brad Licatesi wrote:
> In article <pan.2005.03.17.11.59.43.515850@nowhere.lan>,
> void@nowhere.lan says...
>
>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:03:21 -0600, Cathy De Viney wrote:
>>
>>>I am from the South...if I have to talk to someone with a big-o Yankee
>>>accent (i.e. states that start with "New") I can hardly understand them!
>>>
>>>It is just hard to tune our ears to "foreign" accents!
>>
>>It's a big difference between talking to someone from Massachusetts and
>>talking to someone from India or Germany or China or other places where
>>their native language is not American English.
>

> I got news for you, Dell has people working in their call centers in the
> U.S. whose native tongue is not English.
>
> I have a friend who works in Dell consumer sales in Austin. He was born
> in Africa and has a distinct african accent. Occasionally, I have a
> hard time understanding something he says. He's really good about it
> though, he told me up front once that if I didn't understand something
> he said to just stop him and ask him to repeat it. He doesn't offend
> easily about that kind of stuff.
>
> He is a U.S. citizen and he does get offended when people ask him if
> they can be transferred to an american. At that point he usually lets
> 'em have it.
>
> I have a friend that I work with at my job that could be classified as a
> "red neck". He has a slow deep southern accent and every other word out
> of his mouth is a contraction or he'll often jam two or three words
> together into a new word. I have a harder time understanding him than I
> do most foreigners who don't speak english well.

<insert Jeff Foxworthy joke here>

Bea xx wrote:
>>However, as someone who works in a Dell call
>>center in the U.S. I can tell you that just
>>because
>

> Wow! Now I know I must buy a Dell. I am so impressed by it's workers
> and how well they are trained to respond to individuals, if YOU are
> truly an employee.
>
> You managed to call me an "idiot" when you could have been more
> professional and that "wagon" you referred to must be the one you sit in
> when you are doing your job for Dell. MY wagon is very clean because I
> don't pretend to do business just to buy a computer.
>
> I do not agree with you that doing my taxes on my computer equates it to
> being a business. If you do, good for you. But then again, you work
> for Dell so you must have a different set of rules to live by than I do.
> Have a nice day! BTW, have you ever heard of Dale Carnegie?

No, but I have heard of Andrew Carnegie (of Carnegie Hall fame, among
other things). He sold Carnegie Steel to JP Morgan & partners who were
putting US Steel together.

Bea xx wrote:
>>Yeah, there's a lot of people prejudiced
>>against people with colored skin - which
>>ironically IS what an american actually looks
>>like. So the joke's on you today, Bea. ;-)
>
> Can't pass this one up, Lenny because unless you have a video set up in
> my place and can see me, "the joke's on you".<g
>
> Many races

"Races"??? Isn't there just one race - the human race? Despite some
minor differences in pigmentation & facial features, we're just one
species.

> have dark skin and I don't agree there is still a "lot" of
> prejudice against such people unless they bring it on themselves by
> their attitudes.

Where the hell do you live? Do the names Amadou Diallo, Patrick
Dorismund, Abner Louima, etc., ring any bells with you?