Redbeard

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

Gidday,

I have Admin rights and encrypted a folder the windows way, now however it
refuses to let me unencrypt it. Tells me that access is denied. How do I fix
this?

Konkaroo

Redbeard wrote:
> I have Admin rights and encrypted a folder the windows way, now
> however it refuses to let me unencrypt it. Tells me that access is
> denied. How do I fix this?

Access is denied to the file - or you cannot decrypt it?

Try taking ownership of the file first - but it sounds like you may have
already lost the contents since you shouldn't have to take ownership of the
file unless you redid the computer or something that caused the permissions
to change (another user perhaps? another computer?) and/or you did not
export the certificate/key..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hi,

Are you logged into the same account as was used to encrypt it? If not, you
need either a recovery agent or encryption certificate from that user
account.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Redbeard" <numinous@BOGUS.spymac.com> wrote in message
> Gidday,
>
> I have Admin rights and encrypted a folder the windows way, now however it
> refuses to let me unencrypt it. Tells me that access is denied. How do I
> fix this?
>
> Konkaroo

Redbeard

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

Hi,

Access is denied. I can't choose to unencrypt it through the security
options of the properties menu. I don't know why. I am the only person who
uses this computer. I may be able to retrieve the originals from a previous
backup. Any suggestions folks? As administertrator can't I give myself
permission to do what I like?

Access is denied to the file - or you cannot decrypt it? - Both!

Konkaroo

Redbeard wrote:
> Access is denied. I can't choose to unencrypt it through the security
> options of the properties menu. I don't know why. I am the only
> person who uses this computer. I may be able to retrieve the
> originals from a previous backup. Any suggestions folks? As
> administertrator can't I give myself permission to do what I like?
>
> Access is denied to the file - or you cannot decrypt it? - Both!

Well, not really both.. If access is denied then it is possible something
has gone awry with your profile or your password got changed in some strange
way..

Did you try to take ownership yet?

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Redbeard

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

Gidday,

I am logged into the same account and have neither a recovery agent (what is
that?) or an encryption certificate. Is it looking bad?

Konkaroo

> Hi,
>
> Are you logged into the same account as was used to encrypt it? If not,
> you need either a recovery agent or encryption certificate from that user
> account.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Redbeard" <numinous@BOGUS.spymac.com> wrote in message
>> Gidday,
>>
>> I have Admin rights and encrypted a folder the windows way, now however
>> it refuses to let me unencrypt it. Tells me that access is denied. How do
>> I fix this?
>>
>> Konkaroo

Hi,

Ok, are you sure you encrypted it? Have you tried taking ownership?

See this link on "taking ownership" of a folder:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership