Dimension 8400 Dual Mem Upgrade Question

Hello All,
I just bought a Dimension 8400 system and I have a question. I want to
upgrade my memory from 512mb (2x256) to at least 1 gig or more. To do
this do I have to upgrade in pars (i.e. buy 2x512mb) or can I add
1x512mb with my 2x256mb.

I tried searching for this but did not find a solid answer.

Any help or info appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

vaughn79@msn.com wrote:
> Hello All,
> I just bought a Dimension 8400 system and I have a question. I want to
> upgrade my memory from 512mb (2x256) to at least 1 gig or more. To do
> this do I have to upgrade in pars (i.e. buy 2x512mb) or can I add
> 1x512mb with my 2x256mb.
>
> I tried searching for this but did not find a solid answer.
>
> Any help or info appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Michael

If you want your RAM to operate in DDR mode (double data rate), you have
to add in matching pairs (eg. 2x512MB@PC3200).

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
> vaughn79@msn.com wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> I just bought a Dimension 8400 system and I have a question. I want to
>> upgrade my memory from 512mb (2x256) to at least 1 gig or more. To do
>> this do I have to upgrade in pars (i.e. buy 2x512mb) or can I add
>> 1x512mb with my 2x256mb.
>>
>> I tried searching for this but did not find a solid answer.
>>
>> Any help or info appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Michael
>>
> If you want your RAM to operate in DDR mode (double data rate), you have
> to add in matching pairs (eg. 2x512MB@PC3200).

Which means you can add just one stick (or run with just one stick), but
your 8400 will run in degraded mode (same topic came up when I was going
thru the drill for bad memory on my 8400 3-4 weeks ago).