WGA is useless in China. People there using pirated XP sti..

#1) Most branded PC in China do not pre-install Windows.

Local brand like Legend, Haier, Founder: 95% of their desktop do not
pre-installed with windows
International brand like HP www.hp.com.cn or Acer www.acer.com.cn also do
not pre-installed windows in most of their low-price/mid-price popular
desktop product.

When a customer in China purchase a PC from a shop, a PC always get
installed with pirated Windows. These windows are branded oem that suppose
to be bundled with unpopular high-priced models (around 5% of all desktop
being sold). This kind of OEM Windows XP have been pre-activated and can
pass WGA without problem.

#2) Pirated Windows on the street are now Volume License version (the
notorious Shanghai Government Volume License XP Professional, now become the
official Windows for the whole nation), no activation required and it pass
WGA without problem.

#3) some professional users simply hack their desktop BIOS, change it to a
brand PC BIOS and install a pirated pre-activiated oem Windows XP for that
brand and get a perfect working XP.

WGA is completely useless in China, the purpose of WGA is simply to make
those people who pay $$$ for a genuine Windows feel comfortable.

kelly

How interesting, this is. How much does a system sell for and what are the
spec's? Am just curious.

Also: If a system has the Government Volume license installed, why are you
calling this pirated, if this is the norm?

>In smaller cities, genuine Microsoft product never appear in the market.
>For
>customers who really want a genuine Microsoft product, they have to travel
>to big cities.

What would be the difference in cost and/or what would really be the
difference?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Triple-P wrote:
> #1) Most branded PC in China do not pre-install Windows.
>
> Local brand like Legend, Haier, Founder: 95% of their desktop do not
> pre-installed with windows
> International brand like HP www.hp.com.cn or Acer www.acer.com.cn
> also do not pre-installed windows in most of their
> low-price/mid-price popular desktop product.
>
> When a customer in China purchase a PC from a shop, a PC always get
> installed with pirated Windows. These windows are branded oem that
> suppose to be bundled with unpopular high-priced models (around 5% of
> all desktop being sold). This kind of OEM Windows XP have been
> pre-activated and can pass WGA without problem.
>
> #2) Pirated Windows on the street are now Volume License version (the
> notorious Shanghai Government Volume License XP Professional, now
> become the official Windows for the whole nation), no activation
> required and it pass WGA without problem.
>
> #3) some professional users simply hack their desktop BIOS, change it
> to a brand PC BIOS and install a pirated pre-activiated oem Windows
> XP for that brand and get a perfect working XP.
>
> WGA is completely useless in China, the purpose of WGA is simply to
> make those people who pay $$$ for a genuine Windows feel comfortable.

Ok.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Well I for one am glad that I am paying for the Chinese to have free or
really cheap Microsoft software. With China about to be the biggest
consumer nation I want to do my part. It makes me feel real good to know
that have to pay more and go through extra hoops to prove that I have
Windows Genuine Advantage Microsoft software.

I can sleep well at night knowing that I have helped people.

*NOT*

#$%#$%$%$% THIEVES!!!!!

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23BbZd9PoFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Triple-P <ppp@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> Well I for one am glad that I am paying for the Chinese to have free
> or really cheap Microsoft software. With China about to be the
> biggest consumer nation I want to do my part. It makes me feel real
> good to know that have to pay more and go through extra hoops to
> prove that I have Windows Genuine Advantage Microsoft software.
>
> I can sleep well at night knowing that I have helped people.
>
> *NOT*
>
> #$%#$%$%$% THIEVES!!!!!

And MS knows that PA and WGA will do NOTHING to stop all the piracy in
Asia. PA and WGA only really affect paying customers.

So MS charges you and every other paying customer more than is necessary
to cover the cost of piracy, and makes you jump thru its copy-protection
hoops, and deal with the problems the copy-protection causes.

Yet MS continues to deal with these pirate nations, proving they care
less about their paying customers than the do about dealing with pirate
nations, like China. Hell, MS even goes so far as helping the Chinese
gov't censor pro-democratic speech on blogs run by MS, that's how far in
bed MS is with China.

But hey, MS has every right to act capriciously and screws around with
paying customers while it is kisses the ass of pirate nations. Hell, MS
is a proven intellectual property thief itself, and probably has more
respect for those in its own peer group than people and nations that
play by intellectual property rules.

The phrase "Thick as Thieves" comes to mind.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Kelly wrote:
> How interesting, this is. How much does a system sell for and what
> are the spec's? Am just curious.
>
> Also: If a system has the Government Volume license installed, why
> are you calling this pirated, if this is the norm?

Do you think they bought a seat for every citizen?

How does MS go around calling those that fail PA and WGA pirated OS's
without due-process of law?

>> In smaller cities, genuine Microsoft product never appear in the
>> market. For
>> customers who really want a genuine Microsoft product, they have to
>> travel to big cities.
>
> What would be the difference in cost and/or what would really be the
> difference?

LOL! Ask Microsoft.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

The trend of no Windows pre-installed in desktop/laptop in China.
To stay in competitive, even IBM don't pre-installed Windows for their
desktops.

IBM officially annouced that ThinkCentre A50 model is
pre-installed with Linux, just like other brands.

See the ad !!
http://tinypic.com/akemuh.jpg

However, everyone knows that all shop owners will install a prefect working
Windows XP Professional (or latest Windows) free-of-charge. Customers can
also choose Windows 2003 server if they want to. Nobody care about that
little sticker (COA).

Take ShenZhen, a big city in the south, for example. A hardware shop in
downtown sells more than 10 PC a day. A software shop in downtown sells less
than 3 copies of genuine Windows XP a month. In fact, there are only 2 or 3
software retailers in the whole city willing to sell Microsoft Product. In
smaller cities, genuine Microsoft product never appear in the market. For
customers who really want a genunie Microsoft product, they have to travel
to big cities.

Really strange knowing the fact that HP/Acer also don't pre install
Windows.Now China's Lenovo Group has purchased IBM.Thinking will they
follow HP/Acer too?

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:u2z37gVoFHA.860@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> How interesting, this is. How much does a system sell for and what are
> the spec's? Am just curious.

Celeron CPU + 80G hard disk + 256M RAM + 15" LCD Monitor + DVD-ROM, no
Windows,
cost around RMB 4999 or USD 618.

> Also: If a system has the Government Volume license installed, why are
> you calling this pirated, if this is the norm?

In 2003, the legalization of software being used in Government sectors
began. Only Shanghai Government (Shanghai is a captital city in a Province)
purchased Windows XP and Office from Microsoft for their desktops. At the
same time, government sectors of other province/cities adopted Chinese Linux
and home-made office software from KingSoft.

Then I believe bootleggers (or people in the Shanghai Government sector)
steal the Volume License XP , made copies and distributed it nationwide
through Internet and street vendors.

Since this XP doesn't require activiation, soon it become the most popular
XP and have replaced various cracked version. From street vendors, you pay
RMB 15 (USD 1.8) for one copy. Or go to Chinese yahoo, www.yahoo.com.cn key
word "XP SP2 ÉϺ£Õþ¸®" (XP SP2 Shanghai Government)£¬ you found thousands of
website to download.

The only thing I don't understand is that, why Micorosoft sells a Chinese
Windows XP Home£¨FPP) in China for RMB 1500 (USD 185)?? It's more than a
month's salary of an average citizen.

Look!! Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2005 Chinese edition only cost
RMB 190 or USD 23.
see here: http://www.xingkong.cc/zhuanqu/norton0507/nuodunzhunqu.htm
Warner Region 6 DVD only USD 2.65
see here: http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1030960,00.html

Micrsoft is a really a big loser in China.
In 2005, very very few desktops have Windows pre-installed.
That means, Microsoft's OEM market completely failed in China.
And it's retailing market failed (well, from the first day Microsoft entered
China up to this moment)..