Sign in with
Your question

New Monitor for My new (first build)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 20, 2010 4:43:26 PM

Hello, need some feedback and advise on a new monitor for my new build. I am planning on getting a Sapphire 5770 gpu with a phenom II x # 720 BE. I plan on using the computer for gaming, online TV and movies, surfing and basic work computer "stuff. I am looking betweein a 22-23" monitor possible a 24 inch. Real estate is at a premium, my office and desk are on the small side and don't want to feel like I am in the first row of a theater. My budget is around 150-200 give or take a few if the deal is right. Here are my concerns:

I plan on watching movies and online TV as well, so I was leaning towards a 1920 x 1080 16:9. 22 or 23 inch. How will this affect my gaming compared to at 16:10 ratio? I would like to have full HDTV capability.

Also would there be any issues with 1920 x 1080 resolution compared to a 1680 x 1050 resolution. From my reading some games might not perform to well at the higher resolution with the 5770. So if need be could I scale back the resolution, and if so would the affect the performance and quality? Am I being to worried about this?

Also, matted vs glossy? I realize this is personal preference and those glossy monitors sure do look pretty in the store, but I am worried about real world applications in my house.

I plan on hitting the local frys and micocenter tomorrow to check some out. The usual brands I am looking at are Acer, Asus, View Sonic. So any recommendations in this dept. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

More about : monitor build

February 25, 2010 1:50:54 AM

Well, I see that I'm a bit late, but let me see if I can answer some of your questions. First of all, I will say that I am a fan of hanns g monitors; I have one myself and my work has 8 or so and nary a dead or stuck pixel between them. The color is rather horrible by default, but that can be fixed. They are good for the price. OK, on with the other questions in the order that I think of them. Mat or glossy? I was very much worried about getting a glossy screen on my netbook, but I found that the only time that reflections are a problem is when it is very bright out. If you are where the sun shines on the screen when you're using it, or if you have a very bright house I'd worry about this, but not otherwise. Can you scale down to a lower resolution? Sure, but anything less than the native resolution is going to look somewhat fuzzy like you could use glasses. All my thoughts for now, hope you found a good monitor!
m
l
!