Games crash under windows 7

dontenorio

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hello,
I run a Nvidia GT260 with Win7 professional. I have found a number of games crash immediately on start. That is they do not even load. You will get the start-up screen and maybe some splash screens then it jumps instantly back to the desktop!! I have found this with Battlefield BC2, NFS undercover, CoH....any ideas?
Thanks

dontenorio

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

I am running 32 bit win7 - I have loaded all the latest drivers and checked the compatibility modes. I cannot understand how this is driver related as I run Ghost ReconII & Dragon Rising without incident - they run rock solid but I just cannot get NFS and Battlefield Badcompany2 to load!!

Cheers

arges86

Distinguished
ah
you didn't tell us that some games load and some don't.

Make sure you have the latest DirectX installed
try re-installing the game.
If that doesn't work...
it may be that the opening video files are corrupt. You can try moving them to a diff. folder so they don't load when the game loads.

dontenorio

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks for the advice arges86! I will give this a shot. :)
BTW - Win7 comes Dx11 so that is the latest. But the video files are another matter...here is what happened with NFS:
1. I installed the game
2. it ran without incident - for about 3 hours
3. I went on to do other things and shut down the machine
4. another day I proceeded to load the game - it would not load no matter what I tried

With Battlefield Badcompany2:
well I have never been able to get the game to run. the best i have had here is the opening screen where you set yourself up for about 1 min. Go figure.

What really confuses me though is why other games run flawlessly! Surely the nvidia drivers can't be that unstable given that the two games that do not behave properly are in fact spread over a long period of time (NFS old) (B badcompany 2 new)

I just don't know what to make of this....

dontenorio

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

yeah, thanks. I tried the compatibility mode - no change. So I think it could be drivers too.

dontenorio

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks. I will give this a try.

dontenorio

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

Tried your suggestion and downloaded 195.XX from nVidia. Sure enough it works with all games! :bounce: Has a small issue with frame rate when I try Ghost ReconII but nothing to get annoyed about. So thanks very much for your help. Now I'll just wait for an update from nVidia that works :lol:

Cheers

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

You should select amnotanoobie's reply as the "best answer" so he gets loads of forum points! :) And also the thread will be flagged as "solved".