I am trying to install windows Home Edition XP to a new hard drive. I get
the following message when the installation goes through the initial setup of
"Setup has either detected multiple disks in your machine that are
indestinguishable or detected raw disk(s). Setup has corrected the problem
but reboot is required. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

I press any key and the system reboots and the windows installation begins
all over again, with the same result.

Rebooting with a Win98SE startup floppy results in messages that several
drives are present and will not recognize the CD or Ram Drive. It is an 80GB
WD drive and fdisk indicates that there are 8 drives present. (a message
tells me that no drives after Z will be reccognized).

The processor is Celeron 500Mhz. The bios is Award, dated 6/2202000.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have been fighting
this for the last 4 days.

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

Have you tried deleting the partition windows is trying to install to with
FDisk, and then creating a new partition in the same space, formatting, and
then installing?

--

Cheers,
Tinkerer

"Dave Dingler" <DaveDingler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Hi Tinkerer,

This has been weird. If I select the display partitions in fdisk it shows
only the c drive as disk one with 10781 megabytes (the disk is 80GB). If I
select the change current fixed disk drive it displays 8 drives.

I have formatted the c drive. If I open the Z drive I see the same files
that are on the C drive. All drives are the same size and have identical
files stored on them even though I have only one 80GB drive and have only
formatted one as C. ????

I have tried the delete process with all options available in fdisk but
nothing is reccognized as a partition, only drives.

Dave

"Tinkerer" wrote:

> Have you tried deleting the partition windows is trying to install to with
> FDisk, and then creating a new partition in the same space, formatting, and
> then installing?
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
> Tinkerer
>

> "Dave Dingler" <DaveDingler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to install windows Home Edition XP to a new hard drive. I get
> the following message when the installation goes through the initial setup
> of
> "Setup has either detected multiple disks in your machine that are
> indestinguishable or detected raw disk(s). Setup has corrected the problem
> but reboot is required. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."
>
> I press any key and the system reboots and the windows installation begins
> all over again, with the same result.
>
> Rebooting with a Win98SE startup floppy results in messages that several
> drives are present and will not recognize the CD or Ram Drive. It is an 80GB
> WD drive and fdisk indicates that there are 8 drives present. (a message
> tells me that no drives after Z will be reccognized).
>
> The processor is Celeron 500Mhz. The bios is Award, dated 6/2202000.
>
> Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have been fighting
> this for the last 4 days.

I have just completed deleting the partitions in the extra drives and now the
dos doesn't reccognize any of the drives, including the C. guess have to go
the write zeroes way again!

"Dave Dingler" wrote:

> Hi Tinkerer,
>
> This has been weird. If I select the display partitions in fdisk it shows
> only the c drive as disk one with 10781 megabytes (the disk is 80GB). If I
> select the change current fixed disk drive it displays 8 drives.
>
> I have formatted the c drive. If I open the Z drive I see the same files
> that are on the C drive. All drives are the same size and have identical
> files stored on them even though I have only one 80GB drive and have only
> formatted one as C. ????
>
> I have tried the delete process with all options available in fdisk but
> nothing is reccognized as a partition, only drives.
>
> Dave
>

> "Tinkerer" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried deleting the partition windows is trying to install to with
> > FDisk, and then creating a new partition in the same space, formatting, and
> > then installing?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Tinkerer
> >

> > "Dave Dingler" <DaveDingler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to install windows Home Edition XP to a new hard drive. I get
> > the following message when the installation goes through the initial setup
> > of
> > "Setup has either detected multiple disks in your machine that are
> > indestinguishable or detected raw disk(s). Setup has corrected the problem
> > but reboot is required. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."
> >
> > I press any key and the system reboots and the windows installation begins
> > all over again, with the same result.
> >
> > Rebooting with a Win98SE startup floppy results in messages that several
> > drives are present and will not recognize the CD or Ram Drive. It is an 80GB
> > WD drive and fdisk indicates that there are 8 drives present. (a message
> > tells me that no drives after Z will be reccognized).
> >
> > The processor is Celeron 500Mhz. The bios is Award, dated 6/2202000.
> >
> > Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have been fighting
> > this for the last 4 days.

Roadrunner

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004

Did you format the drive before you try to install the OS ?

"Dave Dingler" <DaveDingler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install windows Home Edition XP to a new hard drive. I get
> the following message when the installation goes through the initial setup
> of
> "Setup has either detected multiple disks in your machine that are
> indestinguishable or detected raw disk(s). Setup has corrected the problem
> but reboot is required. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."
>
> I press any key and the system reboots and the windows installation begins
> all over again, with the same result.
>
> Rebooting with a Win98SE startup floppy results in messages that several
> drives are present and will not recognize the CD or Ram Drive. It is an
> 80GB
> WD drive and fdisk indicates that there are 8 drives present. (a message
> tells me that no drives after Z will be reccognized).
>
> The processor is Celeron 500Mhz. The bios is Award, dated 6/2202000.
>
> Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have been fighting
> this for the last 4 days.

Hey RoadRunner,

Yes, I've formatted the C drive. I have a couple of older drives that I may
try. They are smaller. One is 20gb and the other is 13gb. I think my problems
would go away if some gremlin wasn't inthere adding addition drives that
don't exist.

Dave

"RoadRunner" wrote:

> Did you format the drive before you try to install the OS ?
>

> "Dave Dingler" <DaveDingler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to install windows Home Edition XP to a new hard drive. I get
> > the following message when the installation goes through the initial setup
> > of
> > "Setup has either detected multiple disks in your machine that are
> > indestinguishable or detected raw disk(s). Setup has corrected the problem
> > but reboot is required. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."
> >
> > I press any key and the system reboots and the windows installation begins
> > all over again, with the same result.
> >
> > Rebooting with a Win98SE startup floppy results in messages that several
> > drives are present and will not recognize the CD or Ram Drive. It is an
> > 80GB
> > WD drive and fdisk indicates that there are 8 drives present. (a message
> > tells me that no drives after Z will be reccognized).
> >
> > The processor is Celeron 500Mhz. The bios is Award, dated 6/2202000.
> >
> > Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have been fighting
> > this for the last 4 days.

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

I would try downloading their Datalifeguard tools for Dos before going that
route. I have a 0+1 RAID array set up and I can use the dos diagnostics to
see and diagnose the drives, even though they're in the RAID array. I also
use their windows tools to keep my drives backed up to an external drive,
just in case...:)

--

"Dave Dingler" wrote:

> Hi Tinkerer,
>
> This has been weird. If I select the display partitions in fdisk it shows
> only the c drive as disk one with 10781 megabytes (the disk is 80GB). If
> select the change current fixed disk drive it displays 8 drives.
>
> I have formatted the c drive. If I open the Z drive I see the same files
> that are on the C drive. All drives are the same size and have identical
> files stored on them even though I have only one 80GB drive and have only
> formatted one as C. ????
>
> I have tried the delete process with all options available in fdisk but
> nothing is reccognized as a partition, only drives.
>
> Dave
>

> "Tinkerer" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried deleting the partition windows is trying to install to
> > with
> > FDisk, and then creating a new partition in the same space, formatting,
> > and
> > then installing?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Tinkerer
> >

> > "Dave Dingler" <DaveDingler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to install windows Home Edition XP to a new hard drive. I
> > get
> > the following message when the installation goes through the initial
> > setup
> > of
> > "Setup has either detected multiple disks in your machine that are
> > indestinguishable or detected raw disk(s). Setup has corrected the
> > problem
> > but reboot is required. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to
> > exit."
> >
> > I press any key and the system reboots and the windows installation
> > begins
> > all over again, with the same result.
> >
> > Rebooting with a Win98SE startup floppy results in messages that several
> > drives are present and will not recognize the CD or Ram Drive. It is an
> > 80GB
> > WD drive and fdisk indicates that there are 8 drives present. (a message
> > tells me that no drives after Z will be reccognized).
> >
> > The processor is Celeron 500Mhz. The bios is Award, dated 6/2202000.
> >
> > Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have been
> > fighting
> > this for the last 4 days.

I'll download the datalifeguard for Dos and give it a try. I have a note in
the system to WD and awaiting their response. I'm beginning to suspect the
bios of the motherboard, but don't understand why the hard drive doesn't
accept the fdisk properly.

"Tinkerer" wrote:

> [...]
> > > "Setup has either detected multiple disks in your machine that are
> > > indestinguishable or detected raw disk(s). Setup has corrected the
> > > problem
> > > but reboot is required. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to
> > > exit."
> > >
> > > I press any key and the system reboots and the windows installation
> > > begins
> > > all over again, with the same result.
> > >
> > > Rebooting with a Win98SE startup floppy results in messages that several
> > > drives are present and will not recognize the CD or Ram Drive. It is an
> > > 80GB
> > > WD drive and fdisk indicates that there are 8 drives present. (a message
> > > tells me that no drives after Z will be reccognized).
> > >
> > > The processor is Celeron 500Mhz. The bios is Award, dated 6/2202000.
> > >
> > > Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have been

tinkerer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

If the Data Lifeguard tools have problems as well, you'll want to have a
copy of their diagnostics for Dos in order to check the drives for errors.
Also, if you're leaning towards the BIOS, check and see if there are BIOS
updates available. I try and keep my Asus board current....:)