hp vectra

does anyone have any idea as to what might be wrong with my friends computer
when you boot it starts the initial screen which tells you about the speed
and memory and bios. But then it just says "suggested DRAM clock is "100"
and nothing i press will make the computer go past this. it is using award
bios v4.51 on a micro-star 6153 mobo. Any ideas? thanks

First, open up the case and look for evidence of defective capacitors.
MicroStar has achieved an almost legendary reputation for using cheap capacitors
that fail after a while. The capacitors are the little cylindrical doo-dads
that stick up from the surface of the motherboard. If any of them are deformed,
the capacitor may be failing. If there is any discoloration of the capacitor or
a dried residue on the capacitor or on the mobo surface in the vicinity of a
capacitor, it is likely the capacitor has leaked its electrolyte.

Second, change the C2032 3v battery if it's never been done.

Third, any hardware changes made to this computer lately?

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:08:38 -0500, "JJK" <ropesquad@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>does anyone have any idea as to what might be wrong with my friends computer
>when you boot it starts the initial screen which tells you about the speed
>and memory and bios. But then it just says "suggested DRAM clock is "100"
>and nothing i press will make the computer go past this. it is using award
>bios v4.51 on a micro-star 6153 mobo. Any ideas? thanks

More news about MicroStar and those cheap capacitors can be found at:

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/mar03/znotinthismonth/nbrief.html

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:48:52 GMT

TRENDING THREADS