Hard Drive Miroring/Backup & Data Recovery Service

My buddy lost his 80 gb HF two weeks ago,, with bunches of family pictures, his complete
movie base,, and all his music,, ect,,ect He backed up some of his music & pictures to
CD but his library had grown to be larger than one 700 MB cd,, so backups had slipped.

As his system was an older 2GHz, he decided to get a new 8400, 3.4 GHz, w/160 GB drive...

He would like to be able to schedule a mirror copy routine at 12 am, on to a redundant 160
mb drive. He uses XP as built, lets MS put things where it wants,, doesn't really know or
care to know where XP puts things. He just wants a complete backup,, and if it was
IPL'able by switching cables,, that would be great...

I an working to help him buy another 160 GB drive, but I'm at a loss for the software..

1)Any suggestions and/or antidotal stories about which packages work-don't, easy-hard,,
cheap-expensive???

2)The drive that went south,, he's wants to send it to a data recovery service to see if
the data can be salvaged.. Anyone have any suggestions about a commercial recover
service??

My system is the same age and the last time I looked, the anti-virus scan found 500K
files, with 8.4 GB of digital film,, I also need to do some pre-failure planning..

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head
In The Conch Republic
Just South of Reality

Probably should have done a little home work,,

He would like to schedule an incremental Mirror(only backup what's changed,, but not RAID)
and an ability to restore selected files as needed,, on a 2nd hard file.

I prefer unattended 100% Image copy, including boot records to a 2nd hard file..

The old drive,, I played with it on a couple spare systems,, BIOS recognized it one time,
but we lost it before I could do any recovery,, alter that BIOS would not recognize it..

Thanks
Jim

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> My buddy lost his 80 gb HF two weeks ago,, with bunches of family
> pictures, his complete
> movie base,, and all his music,, ect,,ect
>
> 1)Any suggestions and/or antidotal stories about which packages
> work-don't, easy-hard,,
> cheap-expensive???
>
> 2)The drive that went south,, he's wants to send it to a data recovery
> service to see if
> the data can be salvaged.. Anyone have any suggestions about a commercial
> recover
> service??
>
> My system is the same age and the last time I looked, the anti-virus scan
> found 500K
> files, with 8.4 GB of digital film,, I also need to do some pre-failure
> planning..
>
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head
> In The Conch Republic
> Just South of Reality

Fred Langa has laid out a very good backup strategy.

http://www.langa.com/backups/backups(1).htm

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

i use software from "STELLAR" - not cheap, but MAN does it do the job!
I am at work at the moment, but will post when I get home if you want to
know about that data recovery software.
I have used it on multiple people's "dead" hard drive and have been over 95%
successful in recovering the data.
Jerry

> Probably should have done a little home work,,
>
> He would like to schedule an incremental Mirror(only backup what's
> changed,, but not RAID)
> and an ability to restore selected files as needed,, on a 2nd hard file.
>
> I prefer unattended 100% Image copy, including boot records to a 2nd hard
> file..
>
> The old drive,, I played with it on a couple spare systems,, BIOS
> recognized it one time,
> but we lost it before I could do any recovery,, alter that BIOS would not
> recognize it..
>
> Thanks
> Jim

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

If you want to mirror the disks then you need some sort of RAID controller
PCI failing that software wise you could use VERITAS Backup software and as
for data recovery the main one is Ontrack google for the url they have a few
utils you can download and try to recover data yourself if the HDD is not
totally bolloxed
<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> My buddy lost his 80 gb HF two weeks ago,, with bunches of family
> pictures, his complete
> movie base,, and all his music,, ect,,ect He backed up some of his music
> & pictures to
> CD but his library had grown to be larger than one 700 MB cd,, so backups
> had slipped.
>
> As his system was an older 2GHz, he decided to get a new 8400, 3.4 GHz,
> w/160 GB drive...
>
> He would like to be able to schedule a mirror copy routine at 12 am, on to
> a redundant 160
> mb drive. He uses XP as built, lets MS put things where it wants,, doesn't
> really know or
> care to know where XP puts things. He just wants a complete backup,, and
> if it was
> IPL'able by switching cables,, that would be great...
>
> I an working to help him buy another 160 GB drive, but I'm at a loss for
> the software..
>
> 1)Any suggestions and/or antidotal stories about which packages
> work-don't, easy-hard,,
> cheap-expensive???
>
> 2)The drive that went south,, he's wants to send it to a data recovery
> service to see if
> the data can be salvaged.. Anyone have any suggestions about a commercial
> recover
> service??
>
> My system is the same age and the last time I looked, the anti-virus scan
> found 500K
> files, with 8.4 GB of digital film,, I also need to do some pre-failure
> planning..
>
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head
> In The Conch Republic
> Just South of Reality

He doesn't need Raid, he needs unattended automatic backup.

www.syncback.com

I use it on all my machines. Freeware!

Tom
"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> If you want to mirror the disks then you need some sort of RAID controller
> PCI failing that software wise you could use VERITAS Backup software and
> as for data recovery the main one is Ontrack google for the url they have
> a few utils you can download and try to recover data yourself if the HDD
> is not totally bolloxed
> <jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> My buddy lost his 80 gb HF two weeks ago,, with bunches of family
>> pictures, his complete
>> movie base,, and all his music,, ect,,ect He backed up some of his
>> music & pictures to
>> CD but his library had grown to be larger than one 700 MB cd,, so backups
>> had slipped.
>>
>> As his system was an older 2GHz, he decided to get a new 8400, 3.4 GHz,
>> w/160 GB drive...
>>
>> He would like to be able to schedule a mirror copy routine at 12 am, on
>> to a redundant 160
>> mb drive. He uses XP as built, lets MS put things where it wants,,
>> doesn't really know or
>> care to know where XP puts things. He just wants a complete backup,, and
>> if it was
>> IPL'able by switching cables,, that would be great...
>>
>> I an working to help him buy another 160 GB drive, but I'm at a loss for
>> the software..
>>
>> 1)Any suggestions and/or antidotal stories about which packages
>> work-don't, easy-hard,,
>> cheap-expensive???
>>
>> 2)The drive that went south,, he's wants to send it to a data recovery
>> service to see if
>> the data can be salvaged.. Anyone have any suggestions about a commercial
>> recover
>> service??
>>
>> My system is the same age and the last time I looked, the anti-virus scan
>> found 500K
>> files, with 8.4 GB of digital film,, I also need to do some pre-failure
>> planning..
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jim
>> An Old Parrot Head
>> In The Conch Republic
>> Just South of Reality

Tom
Looks like you came through again,, I think I should skip the forum and just go to your
web page..

Thanks to all
Jim
An Old Parrot Head
In The Conch Republic
Just South of Reality

Jim, I used LC Technology http://www.lc-tech.com/ when I had a SD card get
corrupted. If the free stuff at Ontrack doesn't work I would look at their
products for HD. They have trial versions too.

SanDisk recommends them for photo recovery, not sure if that's an
endorsement though. I couldn't recover the photos on my card reader, but
could recover them and about 100 others that had been deleted on another
machine with a newer card reader. We finally agreed I needed a new card
reader. But, I was shocked at the personal support from these guys. Emails
and phone calls, plus a free download of another program to try, since the
first one I bought didn't do the job. Pat

> Tom
> Looks like you came through again,, I think I should skip the forum and
> just go to your
> web page..
>
> Thanks to all
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head
> In The Conch Republic
> Just South of Reality

to me, backups mean having multiple copies from different points in time and
keeping those copies off site from the primary store of data. a tape backup
still prevails as the best value to achieve this level of backup but the
initial cost of a large capacity tape drive is high. a good alternative is
something like the 45/90gb iomega 'rev' drive. alternatives would be to
keep the data highly organized and then backed up to cds (about 700mb) or
dvds (about 4.5gb). a single copy can be maintained with the likes of an
external usb type hard drive like the maxtor 'one touch' series. finally,
depending on how important those lost photos are to your friend... check out
datasavers.com for the recovery of the data. it may cost $1,000 but it may
be worth it to your friend.

<jj_bpk@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> My buddy lost his 80 gb HF two weeks ago,, with bunches of family
> pictures, his complete
> movie base,, and all his music,, ect,,ect He backed up some of his music
> & pictures to
> CD but his library had grown to be larger than one 700 MB cd,, so backups
> had slipped.
>
> As his system was an older 2GHz, he decided to get a new 8400, 3.4 GHz,
> w/160 GB drive...
>
> He would like to be able to schedule a mirror copy routine at 12 am, on to
> a redundant 160
> mb drive. He uses XP as built, lets MS put things where it wants,, doesn't
> really know or
> care to know where XP puts things. He just wants a complete backup,, and
> if it was
> IPL'able by switching cables,, that would be great...
>
> I an working to help him buy another 160 GB drive, but I'm at a loss for
> the software..
>
> 1)Any suggestions and/or antidotal stories about which packages
> work-don't, easy-hard,,
> cheap-expensive???
>
> 2)The drive that went south,, he's wants to send it to a data recovery
> service to see if
> the data can be salvaged.. Anyone have any suggestions about a commercial
> recover
> service??
>
> My system is the same age and the last time I looked, the anti-virus scan
> found 500K
> files, with 8.4 GB of digital film,, I also need to do some pre-failure
> planning..
>
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head
> In The Conch Republic
> Just South of Reality

>2)The drive that went south,, he's wants to send it to a data recovery service to see if
>the data can be salvaged.. Anyone have any suggestions about a commercial recover
>service??

Commercial data recovery can cost upwards of $2500, so my usual
reccomendation is to never need it. 8*|

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:1dmZd.142531$qB6.9635@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> He doesn't need Raid, he needs unattended automatic backup.
>
> www.syncback.com
>
> I use it on all my machines. Freeware!

Are you using it to produce bootable clones?

jj_bpk@bellsouth.net wrote:
> My buddy lost his 80 gb HF two weeks ago,, with bunches of family pictures, his complete
> movie base,, and all his music,, ect,,ect He backed up some of his music & pictures to
> CD but his library had grown to be larger than one 700 MB cd,, so backups had slipped.
>
> As his system was an older 2GHz, he decided to get a new 8400, 3.4 GHz, w/160 GB drive...
>
> He would like to be able to schedule a mirror copy routine at 12 am, on to a redundant 160
> mb drive. He uses XP as built, lets MS put things where it wants,, doesn't really know or
> care to know where XP puts things. He just wants a complete backup,, and if it was
> IPL'able by switching cables,, that would be great...
>
> I an working to help him buy another 160 GB drive, but I'm at a loss for the software..
>
> 1)Any suggestions and/or antidotal stories about which packages work-don't, easy-hard,,
> cheap-expensive???
>
> 2)The drive that went south,, he's wants to send it to a data recovery service to see if
> the data can be salvaged.. Anyone have any suggestions about a commercial recover
> service??
>
> My system is the same age and the last time I looked, the anti-virus scan found 500K
> files, with 8.4 GB of digital film,, I also need to do some pre-failure planning..
>
> Thanks
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head
> In The Conch Republic
> Just South of Reality

Second Copy 2000 (http://www.centered.com/) is quite simple to use!

You can configure it to back up your data files to any suitable media (I
use a 2nd HDD).

HTH

Regards,
John

I am in the process of setting up Syncback to backup to my Brother's hard
drive in California (I'm in Florida) and he'll do the reverse. What are the
odds of a hurricane AND an earthquake in the same day?

Tom
> to me, backups mean having multiple copies from different points in time
> and keeping those copies off site from the primary store of data. a tape
> backup still prevails as the best value to achieve this level of backup
> but the initial cost of a large capacity tape drive is high. a good
> alternative is something like the 45/90gb iomega 'rev' drive.
> alternatives would be to keep the data highly organized and then backed up
> to cds (about 700mb) or dvds (about 4.5gb). a single copy can be
> maintained with the likes of an external usb type hard drive like the
> maxtor 'one touch' series. finally, depending on how important those lost
> photos are to your friend... check out datasavers.com for the recovery of
> the data. it may cost $1,000 but it may be worth it to your friend.

Tom
Are you networking yours & your brothers boxes??
Do you use encryption?
Does that eat bandwidth??

Tx
Jim
An Old Parrot Head
In The Conch Republic
Just South of Reality

Tom Scales wrote:
> I am in the process of setting up Syncback to backup to my Brother's hard
> drive in California (I'm in Florida) and he'll do the reverse. What are the
> odds of a hurricane AND an earthquake in the same day?
>
> Tom
-------------snip-------------

If it was MY luck you were going by, then I would say that the chances
were extremely high!!!
:-(

Regards,
John

It will support FTP servers, so I am going to run something like CuteFTP
server on both machines. For encryption, you need Syncback SE, which costs
a whopping $15, which I plan on paying. As for bandwidth, it will run in
the middle of the night, so slow is OK. Since I have a 4 megabit cable
connection and my brother does too, I'm not too worried.

Tom

> Tom
> Are you networking yours & your brothers boxes??
> Do you use encryption?
> Does that eat bandwidth??
>
> Tx
> Jim
> An Old Parrot Head
> In The Conch Republic
> Just South of Reality

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>the middle of the night, so slow is OK. Since I have a 4 megabit cable
>connection and my brother does too

What's your uplink speed?

For the OP, you might look at one of those external hard drives with
the one-button backup, some of them come with Retrospect, which has
gotten good reveiws here, though I haven't tried it yet (I use Ghost
Enterprise for network backup of all my machines). Drive Image has
also gotten good reviews here, though it's methods make me a bit
nervous...

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>the middle of the night, so slow is OK. Since I have a 4 megabit cable
>>connection and my brother does too
>
> What's your uplink speed?

Good point. Just tested and it is 366kbps. Adequate for the volume I'll be
backing up.

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>> He doesn't need Raid, he needs unattended automatic backup.
>>
>> www.syncback.com
>>
>> I use it on all my machines. Freeware!
>
> Are you using it to produce bootable clones?

No, that's not its purpose. I backup the data. I can reinstall or Ghost
back to the original config.

Tom

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

My mistake for not reading properly I thought he wanted a mirror disk setup
:)

Tom Scales wrote:
> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>
>>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>
>>>the middle of the night, so slow is OK. Since I have a 4 megabit cable
>>>connection and my brother does too
>>
>>What's your uplink speed?
>>

> Good point. Just tested and it is 366kbps. Adequate for the volume I'll be
> backing up.

Something to bare in mind is that if you plan to use the internet during
the transfer (like to download your brother's drive), you ought to look
into a program that can throttle your upload bandwith otherwise you will
saturate your connection and won't be able to receive anything online
during the transfer. This frequently occurs when peoplle don't setup
bittorrent properly (you need some bandwith to send ACK', etc.). Also
note that although you're getting 366kbps currently, it will most likely
be a bit slower in practice. This is due to overhead from the
encryption and the fact that cable modems are shared, not dedicated,
lines.

I haven't looked into this syncback program, but it's probably safe to
assume after the initial transfer it simply does incremental backups.
If that is the case, it may be simpler to just snail mail your brother a
mirror of your current drive instead of transfering everything over the
internet initially. Remember, your upload (and download) bandwith is
measured in bits/sec not bytes/sec.

Adios,
~Nick

"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Tom Scales wrote:
>> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message

>>>What's your uplink speed?
>>>

>> Good point. Just tested and it is 366kbps. Adequate for the volume I'll
>> be backing up.
> Something to bare in mind is that if you plan to use the internet during
> the transfer (like to download your brother's drive), you ought to look
> into a program that can throttle your upload bandwith otherwise you will
> saturate your connection and won't be able to receive anything online
> during the transfer. This frequently occurs when peoplle don't setup
> bittorrent properly (you need some bandwith to send ACK', etc.). Also
> note that although you're getting 366kbps currently, it will most likely
> be a bit slower in practice. This is due to overhead from the encryption
> and the fact that cable modems are shared, not dedicated, lines.
>
> I haven't looked into this syncback program, but it's probably safe to
> assume after the initial transfer it simply does incremental backups. If
> that is the case, it may be simpler to just snail mail your brother a
> mirror of your current drive instead of transfering everything over the
> internet initially. Remember, your upload (and download) bandwith is
> measured in bits/sec not bytes/sec.
>
> Adios,
> ~Nick

Nick,

I don't care about using it during the sync. It will sync in the middle of
the night. My download speed is close to 6mpbs and upload is 366kbps, so
incrementals should be fine. Mine is the larger backup, so I'm going to
send him an external hard drive with the initial backup intact (over 100GB).

Tom

tom, that is a clever way to start the process. the initial backup would
otherwise take a miserably long time.

Tom Scales wrote:

> Nick,
>
> I don't care about using it during the sync. It will sync in the middle of
> the night. My download speed is close to 6mpbs and upload is 366kbps, so
> incrementals should be fine. Mine is the larger backup, so I'm going to
> send him an external hard drive with the initial backup intact (over 100GB).
>
> Tom

You stated earlier that you will both be uploading to each other; I was
pointing out that if you plan to send data to each other simultaneously
you will run into problems from upload saturation. If you ae uploading
data packets at your maximum rate, you will be unable to send ACK
packets to your brother (to ACKnowledge your receiving his data
packets). This situation may occur in reverse as well (if he's
uploading data at max rate, you will be running into problems sending
him data). This is a common networking problem, and well worth checking
if the product you're interested in can control bandwith settings.

> Tom Scales wrote:
>>

>> Nick,
>>
>> I don't care about using it during the sync. It will sync in the middle
>> of the night. My download speed is close to 6mpbs and upload is 366kbps,
>> so incrementals should be fine. Mine is the larger backup, so I'm going
>> to send him an external hard drive with the initial backup intact (over
>> 100GB).
>>
>> Tom
>
> You stated earlier that you will both be uploading to each other; I was
> pointing out that if you plan to send data to each other simultaneously
> you will run into problems from upload saturation. If you ae uploading
> data packets at your maximum rate, you will be unable to send ACK packets
> to your brother (to ACKnowledge your receiving his data packets). This
> situation may occur in reverse as well (if he's uploading data at max
> rate, you will be running into problems sending him data). This is a
> common networking problem, and well worth checking if the product you're
> interested in can control bandwith settings.

Interesting. In 22 years in the computer business, I've never had a problem
with two connections being unable to handle the load of simultaneous
transfers. For example, I saturate my gigabit backbone in both directions
doing exactly this every night.

Regardless, I do know to time the backups to not run conncurrently.

Tom