Sign in with
Your question

Advice on how to fix PCB for soldering

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
December 1, 2012 4:54:44 AM

Hello all!

I have a PS2 Slim whose power supply connector on the unit has come loose. Upon inspection of the board and adapter, the cause was obvious:
The solder on the middle prong had broke off from the board, but it also took the tiny metal ring that was set in the PCB itself with it, breaking it apart in pieces as well. Image of the board is below

http://imgur.com/LjpEf

From the picture you can see I need to clean the area as well. That's on my list of things to do.

My main question is this: What would I need to do in order to get the adapter soldered back on to the PCB, seeing as how the ring is now gone?

I'm still very new to soldering, but am learning with practice I've been getting lately with small projects. Any help and advice on this would be greatly appreciated!
December 10, 2012 3:52:49 AM

I was given the advice elsewhere to just use a jump wire of approx. 12 AWG stranded to go from the main lead of the power jack to either the lead on the board (by lightly scratching off the solder mask to expose the copper beneath), or from the main lead directly to the resistor.

(For any of those that may have this problem in the future)
m
l
December 10, 2012 5:10:42 AM

Hello Community,

In soldering, cleanliness is critical. Just prior to soldering, clean your component leads. Clean your pads or lugs. Clean & tin your iron tip. Clean your solder too! Oxidation is not your friend. Beenthere's post describes good tip cleaning & tinning procedure. Isopropal alcohol and tissue paper works for cleaning everything but the iron. Try to find one of the "lint free" tissues.

Thanks and Regards,
Derren Brown

Voice transcription
m
l
!