Will a reformat of drive C: touch drive D:?

Tim

I'm planning on reformatting tonight, but instead of backing up to CD (or any
other non-harddisk media), I would rather just put it on a new partition. Ive
read that you need third party software to create a new partition, so I have
PartitionMagic.

I havent reformatted in a while and i kind of forget the process. Will the
installer want to take all my data, or can I specify to leave my new
partition alone?

Thanks in advance!
-Tim

In article <1B961980-9767-4276-B323-ADBCF8CA613F@microsoft.com>, Tim
<Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I'm planning on reformatting tonight, but instead of backing up to CD (or any
>other non-harddisk media), I would rather just put it on a new partition. Ive
>read that you need third party software to create a new partition, so I have
>PartitionMagic.
>
>I havent reformatted in a while and i kind of forget the process. Will the
>installer want to take all my data, or can I specify to leave my new
>partition alone?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>-Tim

Simply formatting one partition won't affect another partition.
However, it's possible to accidentally format the wrong partition.
I'd back up my data first.

There's always a risk of data loss when using a program like
PartitionMagic (or my choice, BootIt Next Generation) to manipulate
partitions. I'd back up my data first.

It's possible to specify the wrong partition when installing an
operating system. I'd back up my data first.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Assuming you have a full retail copy of windows xp you will be able to
specify which partition you install windows xp on. If you only have a
manufacturer's recovery disk then it will use all of your hard drive for
installing xp and you will then loose the partition you have added.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert