Automatic Compact Flash backup of a TRG pro - like product

October 26, 2004 7:16:38 PM

Hi All,

I am working on the development of a product which resembles a TRGpro.
The product runs PalmOS 4.x and has a slot for a Compact Flash card. I
am looking for suggestions and ideas on how user databases can be
automatically backed up form main memory into our Compact Flash Card.
We want the process to be as transparent as possible to the user.

Any suggestions of any current production software we should be
looking at will be gratefully received. I don't think that we have
time develop this applications our self, so we will probably approach
a third party developer.

Thanks,

Mark.
October 27, 2004 2:53:42 AM

On 26 Oct 2004 15:16:38 -0700, Mark Aren wrote:

> Any suggestions of any current production software we should be
> looking at will be gratefully received. I don't think that we have
> time develop this applications our self, so we will probably approach
> a third party developer.

My suggestion would be to use an approach similar to hotsync.
That is, if you want to have backups of very large databases on the
CF card, don't copy the entire file. Just update whatever
individual records that need to be added, deleted or modified in the
copy on the CF card. You may also want to delay committing the
changes (or save additional temp. data to allow for 'undo'
operations) to allow users that accidentally wipe out lots of data
to keep the damage from propagating to the CF copy. One way would
be to not actually make immediate changes to the CF card, but to
write data to the card that could be automatically processed when
the TRGPro lookalike is not being used, such as at 3:00 AM. And
supply a utility to 'UPDATE RECORDS NOW' if for some reason the
latest version of the database on the card is needed immediately,
such as if the battery dies and all databases are lost, except for
what remains on the CF card.

BTW, is your TRGPro lookalike intended to be generally available,
or is it to be used by a limited target audience? I'm still happily
using my own TRGPro, but would probably get a similar model with OS
4.x as long as it retained the *loud* speaker and user replaceable
batteries. I wouldn't be greedy and also ask for dual cards. The
TRGPro's younger sibling (Handera 330) accepted both CF and SD
cards. But if it did, I might order two! :)
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 12:33:25 AM

markaren10@yahoo.com (Mark Aren) wrote:
>I am working on the development of a product which resembles a TRGpro.
>The product runs PalmOS 4.x and has a slot for a Compact Flash card. I
>am looking for suggestions and ideas on how user databases can be
>automatically backed up form main memory into our Compact Flash Card.
>We want the process to be as transparent as possible to the user.

You might want to confirm that it works, but BackupMan does exactly
this.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 3:45:50 PM

Thanks for your pointer.

The problem that I am seeing with the majority of the PalmOS 4.x
backup utilities is that they will do incremental database backups;
for reasons of speed, I need just the changed records to be
incrementally backed up.

I have only seen this offered on one PalmOS 5.x utility.

Regards,

Mark.

William P.N. Smith wrote in message news:<3hf0o0thtgcnt3m57mfmhs3lr2muk98k55@4ax.com>...
> markaren10@yahoo.com (Mark Aren) wrote:
> >I am working on the development of a product which resembles a TRGpro.
> >The product runs PalmOS 4.x and has a slot for a Compact Flash card. I
> >am looking for suggestions and ideas on how user databases can be
> >automatically backed up form main memory into our Compact Flash Card.
> >We want the process to be as transparent as possible to the user.
>
> You might want to confirm that it works, but BackupMan does exactly
> this.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 7:49:31 PM

markaren10@yahoo.com (Mark Aren) wrote:
>The problem that I am seeing with the majority of the PalmOS 4.x
>backup utilities is that they will do incremental database backups;
>for reasons of speed, I need just the changed records to be
>incrementally backed up.

[Did you mean they will not do incremental backups?]

I don't think you can tell from the backup program which records have
not been backed up, and using (the equivalent of the archive bit) will
screw up your hotsync.

Try a full backup on an automated schedule with BackupMan and see if
the time hit really does bother you. I've got mine set to do it's
thing at 1AM, and I rarely notice it...

If you need more speed, get a highspeed (non-SanDisk) card, and try
again. I'm backing up 15.3 meg of data on my T3 in (lessee) just
under two minutes, and that's not a particularly high-speed card.
!