I'm fixing an XP Home PC for a friend, they had some spyware installed so
installed/ran MS antispyware.

The problem I can't fix though is that everytime you log in with one of
their accounts (there are two user accts) XP Home acts like it's the first
time you've logged in. It prompts to run the tour and tells me it will gladly
clean my unused icons on my desktop, all of the shortcuts on their desktops
(ie not in All Users), OLE settings and wallpapers have gone bye-bye. Since
I've removed the spyware I've tried adding icons to the desktop again and
logging out/rebooting but none of the changes stay saved.

Is this a known issue with some sort of malware? Any thoughts on how to
correct it without reinstalling?

kelly

1. Use this combo instead:

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

2. Save Settings on Exit or Undo (Line 54) Right hand side

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Les Arrowman" <LesArrowman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm fixing an XP Home PC for a friend, they had some spyware installed so
> installed/ran MS antispyware.
>
> The problem I can't fix though is that everytime you log in with one of
> their accounts (there are two user accts) XP Home acts like it's the first
> time you've logged in. It prompts to run the tour and tells me it will
> gladly
> clean my unused icons on my desktop, all of the shortcuts on their
> desktops
> (ie not in All Users), OLE settings and wallpapers have gone bye-bye.
> Since
> I've removed the spyware I've tried adding icons to the desktop again and
> logging out/rebooting but none of the changes stay saved.
>
> Is this a known issue with some sort of malware? Any thoughts on how to
> correct it without reinstalling?

Thanks for the help, that got it.

Les

"Kelly" wrote:

> 1. Use this combo instead:
>
> Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>
> Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.
>
> 2. Save Settings on Exit or Undo (Line 54) Right hand side

> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Les Arrowman" <LesArrowman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm fixing an XP Home PC for a friend, they had some spyware installed so
> > installed/ran MS antispyware.
> >
> > The problem I can't fix though is that everytime you log in with one of
> > their accounts (there are two user accts) XP Home acts like it's the first
> > time you've logged in. It prompts to run the tour and tells me it will
> > gladly
> > clean my unused icons on my desktop, all of the shortcuts on their
> > desktops
> > (ie not in All Users), OLE settings and wallpapers have gone bye-bye.
> > Since
> > I've removed the spyware I've tried adding icons to the desktop again and
> > logging out/rebooting but none of the changes stay saved.
> >
> > Is this a known issue with some sort of malware? Any thoughts on how to
> > correct it without reinstalling?

kelly

Most welcome, Les. Thanks for the feedback. :eek:)