Attn: Paint experts....need your advice!!

I need help.

I'm repainting the cabinet on my SO76. I've laid down Krylon Ivory as
the base coat which is an acrylic lacquer. I'll also be spraying part
of the stencil design with Krylon Banner Red.

Here's where it gets tricky (to me at least ;-)

I haven't been able to find an acceptable match in aerosol spray paint
for the blue color part of the stencil. It's almost a purple/blue. So,
I'll need to get the original matched up, then rent a spray gun to
apply it( anyone used a Titan airless paint sprayer before?).

My big question is....what type of paint should I use? Does it matter?
Will a latex enamel work okay?

Another concern is that once I've finished spraying, I'll be using
Krylon Crytal Clear matte for a clearcoat. It's also an acrylic
lacquer. The reason I'm doing this is I find the overall finish of the
Krylon paints too glossy, and the matte tones it down nicely.

So, what type of paint can I safely spray over the acrylic lacquer base
coat, and then have it covered by the acrylic lacquer clearcoat ?

Dave

Hey Dave;
Stay with the lacquer then because if you try to put the lacquer
clearcoat over enamel it will lift.
Bill

Thanks Bill.
Does it matter if the paint is just lacquer or does it need to be
acrylic lacquer? Does anyone know if the usual suspects (ie: Home
Depot) sell lacquer paint that can be custom colored?

Dave

martin

You can use an enamel pait if you use a water-based clearcoat: I have
been very pleased with the results from Minwax Polycrylic. I think that
you will find that you have to use an enamel for the color mixed paint.

Lacquer over enamel is bad because the lacquer solvents are aggressive
and cause the enamel to soften and bubble.

If you want to shoot Lacquer it will most likely have to be purchased
where you buy automotive paint. Most old time auto parts stores can
handle that. They can mix you up about anything you need.

Martin is right don't evemn think about shooting that over enamel.

Thanks guys.

I'll stay away from any enamel.

One other thing I think I'll try is the Tamiya spray lacquers. They
seem to have a good selection of colors...maybe I can find one that's
close enough to the original blue.

Dave

martin

If you go with the Polycrylic clearcoat, you can use Home Depot enamel
underneath. Polycrylic is really easy to work with, you can wipe off
smears and bubbles with water.

Hey Ray,

I've tried all the Krylon colors. They have regal blue and true
blue...okay but not really, and nothing else they have is even close.

The original cabinet paint is still relatively intact in spots(no
noticable fade) as a color reference, and the cabinet paint also
matches up nicely with the blues on the playfield.

So, if I'm going to all this work to "restore" it, I'd like to get the
color as close as possible. It doesn't have to be exact, just close.
Krylons paints are either too dark or too light...what's on the cab
right now falls somewhere in between. Call me anal, I guess ;-)

I'll see if Testors or Tamiya has a better match and try it out on a
piece of scrap wood (Krylon Ivory, whatever blue paint on top, and
final coat with Krylon Clear matte) and see if they "like" each other.

Failing that, I guess I'll try the local auto paint store.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Dave

Hi Martin,

Does Minwax sell Polycrylic clearcoat in a matte or satin finish spray
form?

Dave

Krylon makes quite a few different blues and you really ought to be able to
find a good [close] match in and off-the-shelf aerosol- maybe check another
store in your area- one that carries more colors. After all, if you're
doing a full cabinet repaint, having one color slightly off from the
original shade isn't a bad thing. Often impossible to really tell what true
shade many colors are/were on old games like this, from fading, etc. over
the years.

I recommend sticking to the same brand/type of paint. I've often had
different brands or types react badly with each other- like mixing Krylon
and some other brand, or mixing a standard Krylon aerosol color with a
Krylon specialty color- like a crafts paint or rust inhibitor paint or
lacquer on top of enamel (or vice-versa), etc. Usually these don't get
along well together.

Banner Red is one of Krylon's standard off-the-shelf aerosols. They also
have a True Blue which is a lot like Funhouse, White Water blue. And a
Royal Blue which is a lot darker- almost a purple-blue. More, too, I'm
sure.

If you must match, one better option might be to get a local auto-body
supply store to mix a pint of acrylic enamel (or acrylic lacquer) and put it
in aerosol can(s) for you to use. Most should be able to do it- some may
have a minimum of a pint, a quart, etc. Some may sell you one aerosol, some
may require you to take the full pint/quart in 4, 6, or 8 aerosol cans- all
depends on where you shop. Can range from $6 to over $90 depending.

With lacquer underneath, and lacquer on top (clearcoat), I'd do lacquer
in-between, too.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"dmp65" <davepauk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I need help.
>
> I'm repainting the cabinet on my SO76. I've laid down Krylon Ivory as
> the base coat which is an acrylic lacquer. I'll also be spraying part
> of the stencil design with Krylon Banner Red.
>
> Here's where it gets tricky (to me at least ;-)
>
> I haven't been able to find an acceptable match in aerosol spray paint
> for the blue color part of the stencil. It's almost a purple/blue. So,
> I'll need to get the original matched up, then rent a spray gun to
> apply it( anyone used a Titan airless paint sprayer before?).
>
> My big question is....what type of paint should I use? Does it matter?
> Will a latex enamel work okay?
>
> Another concern is that once I've finished spraying, I'll be using
> Krylon Crytal Clear matte for a clearcoat. It's also an acrylic
> lacquer. The reason I'm doing this is I find the overall finish of the
> Krylon paints too glossy, and the matte tones it down nicely.
>
> So, what type of paint can I safely spray over the acrylic lacquer base
> coat, and then have it covered by the acrylic lacquer clearcoat ?
>
> Dave

martin

Gloss, semi-gloss and satin. I used satin to bring the black back of my
machine to a common finish after retouching.

http://iobium.com/DSCN0779.JPG

The line that you see is from the different levels of paint under the
finish. Other than that, you would not know that much of teh back had
been sanded down to bare wood.

Don't forget to scuff the surface up with some sandpaper first.

Hi Martin,

Did you brush on the Polycrylic or spray it on?

Dave

If you go to an autobody supply store, tell them you work at a such and
such autobody and they will probably give you a discount. Those spray
cans and paint is not cheap. I used to work at a autobody supply store
and all you would have to do is say you worked at a autobody place and
I would give you a discount no ? asked.

Luke

I retouched my Pioneer and I'm still considering doing a full cabinet
repaint on it. For color match I'd use whatever the actual color of the
american flag is since that is what they were after in the factory...
I've got a buyer who says he likes the worn in look but haven't seen a
deposit yet...
Neat game but has been sitting awiting for my attention for too darn long..

Greg

"dmp65" <davepauk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I need help.
>
> I'm repainting the cabinet on my SO76. I've laid down Krylon Ivory as
> the base coat which is an acrylic lacquer. I'll also be spraying part
> of the stencil design with Krylon Banner Red.
>
> Here's where it gets tricky (to me at least ;-)
>
> I haven't been able to find an acceptable match in aerosol spray paint
> for the blue color part of the stencil. It's almost a purple/blue. So,
> I'll need to get the original matched up, then rent a spray gun to
> apply it( anyone used a Titan airless paint sprayer before?).
>
> My big question is....what type of paint should I use? Does it matter?
> Will a latex enamel work okay?
>
> Another concern is that once I've finished spraying, I'll be using
> Krylon Crytal Clear matte for a clearcoat. It's also an acrylic
> lacquer. The reason I'm doing this is I find the overall finish of the
> Krylon paints too glossy, and the matte tones it down nicely.
>
> So, what type of paint can I safely spray over the acrylic lacquer base
> coat, and then have it covered by the acrylic lacquer clearcoat ?
>
> Dave

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dave,

I just painted an entire cabinet with exact matches of paint from
Sherwin Williams. They sell an aerosol system for about $10.00 that
comes with a glass jar and disposable aerosol can (replacements are
about $5.00). I bought enamel paint, thinned it with lacquer and
painted the entire cabinet in three colors. I'm not much of a painter
either, but this one came out pretty good. Check it out.

Tom