Backup and restore from different OS's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkBowser

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I backed up Windows 7 from one computer to an external hard drive. If I plug this in to a Vista machine and restore it from that, will it have windows 7 on it? I'm very skeptical but I want to know something about it before I try anything. In theory it should work, right?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Unless your backup is a system image, no, you can't do that. And if it is, all it would do is overwrite the existing disk, destroying everything in the process.

I've got a feeling you're looking to restore the backup from Vista, keep everything from the Vista machine around except change Vista to Win7. This simply isn't how backups work. Sorry.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
^ Correct. If you did a full system backup, you could restore that from within the Windows 7 install disc by booting from it (there's an option there to restore a system backup). It's not going to work, however, if the specs vary at all. It might, if the motherboards are identical, but then again...

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Make a base image of the PC you want to back up. Then you can restore this image to other computer.

You can use either Acronis or Ghost for this. Both products do a great job.

Another option would be to just do a sysprep and copy this to the next box.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
"Keep in mind that a windows 7 key can only be on one computer at a time unless it volume licensed."

This is a false statement as these PC's are from HP/Compaq and they contain OEM license which belong to the machines. You cannot copy move or restore an OS from one OEM machine to another without violating EULA license.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
If you are a hacker what are you doing subscribing to Tom's.

This site does not support or condone Hackers and their activities.

Reading all the above it appears you are looking for a "free"way to upgrade to Windows 7 on that PC. Wrong thing to do....

Status
Not open for further replies.