Hp Laserjet 2100 Broken?

Hi,

My laserjet turns on all leds after the self test and refuses to print
anything.

The manual indicates that this is a hardware issue, I found postings
pointing in the direction of the fuser unit.

How can I get more diagnosis? If the fuser is broken, where could I get
a used one to replace it (living in Germany, Central Europe).

Thanks,
Klaus

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi Klaus

All Leds on is a "Primary Service error"
You need to press Go and Job Cancel to get the secondary service error, record
the led status then.
That should narrow down the problem. Let me know what happens and I will try to
interpret the secondary error.

Tony

Klaus Pieper <kfpieper@web.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>My laserjet turns on all leds after the self test and refuses to print
>anything.
>
>The manual indicates that this is a hardware issue, I found postings
>pointing in the direction of the fuser unit.
>
>How can I get more diagnosis? If the fuser is broken, where could I get
>a used one to replace it (living in Germany, Central Europe).
>
>Thanks,
>Klaus

Hi Tony,

The red/upper/attention led is blinking, the others ones out.

I also once got the beast running once and printed a configuration report.

Pages Printed: 12330

Protocol:

Code Page
50006 12330
50013 12258
50013 12253
50013 12174
50013 11669
50013 11580
50013 11326
50013 11121
30017 8631

Klaus

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi Klaus
Secondary error with Attention light blinking and both the other lights out is
a Fan Error (58 Service - Fan Motor Error). This is confirmed by
Status Code 50006 (at page count 12330) - Fan Motor Error.

Recommended fixes are in this order-

1. Turn off for 15 minutes minimum (to allow the fusing assembly to cool down)
and turn back on, if this does not fix it (and in your case it seems to be that
it doesn't)
2. Turn printer off, reseat connection between fan and Intermediate Printed
Circuit Board, if no good then
3. Replace Fan and if that does not fix it then
4. Replace Engine Controller Assembly (ECA)

I have no idea what experience you have with dissassembly of printers so if you
need instructions for getting at the fan without breaking any covers (grin)
just let me know and I will send them to you.

I hope that the ECA has not failed because they are very expensive but if you
need to replace it I suggest you look for an exchange ECA.
You would need to find a local printer parts stockist and talk to them. Sorry I
do not live in Europe so have no idea where your nearest one is but there will
be several in Germany. You may be wise to compare the cost of repair with the
cost of a replacement printer if the ECA has failed. HP have a very good series
1010/1012/1015 which is well priced and has good specifications. Some models
may not be availbale in Europe and you need to check the interface for each
model (ie. USB and/or Parallel). Hopefully the fix will be cheap and you won't
need to go there. By the way I have no affiliation with HP but they do make the
best Laser Printers, best to avoid Brother, Lexmark and Kyosera (all are
cheaper to buy but cost more in the long run).

Your page count is very low for a 2100 which has a good throughput and duty
cycle, I assume it is not under warranty!

Good luck

Tony

Klaus Pieper <kfpieper@web.de> wrote:
>Hi Tony,
>
>The red/upper/attention led is blinking, the others ones out.
>
>I also once got the beast running once and printed a configuration report.
>
>Pages Printed: 12330
>
>Protocol:
>
>Code Page
>50006 12330
>50013 12258
>50013 12253
>50013 12174
>50013 11669
>50013 11580
>50013 11326
>50013 11121
>30017 8631
>
>Klaus

Hi Tony,

I removed & reinstalled the fan, which didn't help. Today I removed the
ECA to check if there was any visible damage (I suspected the printer
might have been overheated), but didn't find anything. Removed the fan
again, reassembled everything, and surprise.. It's running (so far).

In the error protocol I have 7x code 50006. I have the service manual,
but the code is not documented. Where did you look it up?

Thanks a lot
Klaus

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi Klaus
This is the location of the document (Printer Job Language (PJL) reference
manual)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl13208/bpl13208.pdf

It's a PDF so when you click on the link you will download the file.

Hopefully you got lucky and a bad connection caused the problem, failing that
the fan may be failing or the ECA.