Why reply at the bottom of posts?

August 14, 2005 9:48:15 PM

Hi,
I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
instead of at the top?
Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
latest reply.
In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.

What news reader are folks using that does this?

This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

/ ITinerant

More about : reply bottom posts

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:18:16 PM

When I was working the filing practice was always file in reverse
chronological order. The latest correspondence on the top. Posting on top is
my preference.
It appears Outlook Express follows this criteria for the cursor defaults to
the top.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:22:38 PM

When I first started posting replies, I got hollered at for posting either
way. If I reply directly to the OP, I top post. If I tag on to a reply by
someone else, I will usually bottom post.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

Related resources
August 14, 2005 10:36:52 PM

/ITinerant/ said:

> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

There are proponents of both styles. Top-posting makes best sense in
mail, when perhaps a single reply can be expected.

In news groups, where threads are deep, I think bottom-posting makes for
better intelligibility - if done with a competent newsreader that does not
mangle quotes as O.E. can. The entire thread can be viewed, and
continuity of the discussion is preserved. Redundancies and sigs can be
stripped. <ctrl-end> usually scrolls to the bottom in a flash.

Another problem with top-posting in groups is that some readers strip out
all text below the -- signature delimiter, as they should. Thus, the
earlier text may vanish, forcing the reader to click on references - which
may have expired from the server.

One thing on which either camp would likely agree is that mixed posting -
bottom and top - quickly creates an unreadable mess. Whichever style you
use, it is best to go with the flow of the thread.^
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:13:07 AM

In article <eLU4GMToFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "ITinerant"
<rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>instead of at the top?
>Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
>latest reply.
>In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
>What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
>This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
>/ ITinerant

There's no need to spend time scrolling in Outlook Express. Press
Ctrl-End to get to the bottom of the message instantly.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:04:43 AM

The old Usenet rule was that one answered underneath such that readers could
see what was being answered.. I always read all of the way through, or if
following up, tend to remember what has already been stated.. so I prefer
top posting.. usenet purists dislike it, but hey..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:51:22 AM

[Oh, here we go...]

ITinerant wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:32:03 AM

Then you have to scroll back if it is a long answer.. nooooooooo way.. :-)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
> In article <eLU4GMToFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "ITinerant"
> <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>>instead of at the top?
>>Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
>>latest reply.
>>In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>>
>>What news reader are folks using that does this?
>>
>>This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>>
>>/ ITinerant
>
> There's no need to spend time scrolling in Outlook Express. Press
> Ctrl-End to get to the bottom of the message instantly.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
August 15, 2005 3:35:15 AM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:48:15 -0700, "ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net>
wrote:

>I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>instead of at the top?

I've never understood why the whole messages being replied to is
brought forward as a quote. I think that is laziness whether posting
at the top or bottom.

I think the more intelligent way is to snip out the specific part(s)
one is replying to and post a specific reply to each specific part.

>Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
>latest reply.

I find it even more annoying where people bring forward a quote
containing multi levels of quotes going back 10 or more messages and
then post a one sentence reply to it.... LAZY! or... they never
learned what copy&paste is or what the shortcut ctrl-c and ctrl-v is
used for.

>This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

And it wasn't taken as such, or wasn't by me at least....

Regards,
Ed

>>Quote of Quote
>>>Quote of Quote of Quote

See how utterly Stupid it is?
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:55:10 AM

In article <uyMOanUoFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Mike Hall
\(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>>I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>>>instead of at the top?
>>>Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
>>>latest reply.
>>>In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>>>
>>>What news reader are folks using that does this?
>>>
>>>This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>>>
>>>/ ITinerant
>>
>> There's no need to spend time scrolling in Outlook Express. Press
>> Ctrl-End to get to the bottom of the message instantly.
>
>Then you have to scroll back if it is a long answer.. nooooooooo way.. :-)

No, you don't. Press Ctrl-Home to get to the top of the message
instantly. BTW, those characters work in most windows, not just
Outlook Express.

I'll tell you a reason that I prefer bottom posting, Mike. Your reply
has the "-- " line before your signature. When I reply to your
message using Agent, it automatically removes everything below the
signature line. Unfortunately, that removes the original message and
every reply except yours, too. I have to press Ctrl-A (Select All)
before replying.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:13:39 AM

I think it is kinda dumb to read the answer before you read the question

--
Carl G
"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

August 15, 2005 4:26:07 AM

However, if you are the original poster, you already know your question and
are waiting for the answer?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
>I think it is kinda dumb to read the answer before you read the question
>
> --
> Carl G
> "ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>> instead of at the top?
>> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see
>> the latest reply.
>> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>>
>> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>>
>> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>>
>> / ITinerant

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:54:53 AM

In article <eLU4GMToFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, rsvp@newsgroup.net
says...
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?

Because in Usenet, which is what this entire system is based on, the
norm is to snip parts of the post you are replying to, so that you don't
repost everything, and put your response BELOW the original. As most
people read from Top Down, this make the flow proper and easy for those
normal types to follow the thread - it also means we can insert comments
in between your lines and you can get a clear understanding of what we
are posting a reply about.

> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.

Me too - it means that some lamer didn't bother to "snip" the drivel and
just did a reply without thinking.

> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?

The only news reader that doesn't properly bottom post is Outlook
Express as it's not a real Usenet client, it is a kludge.

> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

If you search for a Usenet FAQ you would already know that top posting
is for email, where everyone knows what you are already talking about,
since it's between just a couple people.

In Usenet your message could be read by zillions of people and they may
not have seen the prior posts in the thread - that's the reason for the
Top Down method (like in any BOOK you read).

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Carl G wrote:
> I think it is kinda dumb to read the answer before you read the question

Reminds me of a TV game show!
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:49:04 AM

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote:

> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?

I tolerate either way, however, I think that it should be like the
"real life": The answer follows the question...

--
d-d
August 15, 2005 9:49:05 AM

Hey now, Detlev.....Cajun folks do things way different from German folks!
:o )

--

"Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote in message
> "ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>> instead of at the top?
>
> I tolerate either way, however, I think that it should be like the
> "real life": The answer follows the question...
>
> --
> d-d
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:55:47 AM

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

> Hey now, Detlev.....Cajun folks do things way different from German
> folks! :o )

Opposites attract. ;)

--
d-d
Anonymous

Detlev

The answer does follow the question when top posting, assuming that one has
read the previous post..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote in message
> "ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>> instead of at the top?
>
> I tolerate either way, however, I think that it should be like the
> "real life": The answer follows the question...
>
> --
> d-d
August 15, 2005 2:07:45 PM

ITinerant wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

Because most news servers delete posts based on date, so if you find a
reply to a post that you haven't read, it makes a lot more sense to have
replies underneath so the conversation flows in some sort of logical order.

If you've ever had to use Google Groups to research something, you will
appreciate how helpful it is when people reply at the bottom.

I think it's just a case of getting used to a particular format. You'll
notice that hardly any web based forums place the replies above, because
it's such a stupid idea. Email is different, because there are usually
less replies between more than one person, so I stick to top replies
with email.

--
Marc
Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information..

I'm with you. I much prefer the reply to be at the top of the message.
However "Top Posting" seems to get a bad rap in Newsgroups.

Lardy.

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:13:40 PM

Bruce Hagen wrote:

> There you go. You let the secret out. <VBG>
>
> Too bad there wasn't an automatic <snipper>.
>
> I'm not against bottom posting, but when your finger goes numb from
> scrolling, well.........

Get a better mouse.

--
Peace!
Kurt

> Bruce Hagen wrote:
>
>> There you go. You let the secret out. <VBG>
>>
>> Too bad there wasn't an automatic <snipper>.
>>
>> I'm not against bottom posting, but when your finger goes numb from
>> scrolling, well.........
>
> Get a better mouse.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

I can click the mouse wheel and drag it down the page very quickly. My post
was only meant to be sarcastic. Surely you can see that. <g>

Bruce Hagen
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:20:54 PM

Pray tell, what could be wrong with a $5 mouse.. :-)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

Inline is best when replying to more than one sentence/question in a
post. That way those that read your replies will be able to understand
what you are replying to, instead of having to assume which of your
comments was in reply to which of your sentence/questions.

That is your right.

Again, your right, but you may have just missed some kernel of wisdom,
just because you don't like how a response is formatted.

Personally, I think people that react to style over substance are fools.

I use OE.

And this isn't meant to be a mean-spirited response.

--

ITinerant wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to
> see the latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:28:50 PM

ITinerant wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?

Inline is best when replying to more than one sentence/question in a
post. That way those that read your replies will be able to understand
what you are replying to, instead of having to assume which of your
comments was in reply to which of your sentence/questions.

> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to
> see the latest reply.

That is your right.

> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.

Again, your right, but you may have just missed some kernel of wisdom,
just because you don't like how a response is formatted.

Personally, I think people that react to style over substance are fools.

> What news reader are folks using that does this?

I use OE.

> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

And this isn't meant to be a mean-spirited response.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:38:12 PM

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Pray tell, what could be wrong with a $5 mouse.. :-)

Nothing, but you get what you pay for.

My mouse has a scroll up button above the scroll wheel, and a scroll
down button below the wheel. When I want to scroll fast, I use the
buttons, and use the scroll wheel to scroll as I read. My mouse has an
Alt-Tab button below the scrolldown button, plus Back and Forward
buttons near where the thumb rests.

You wouldn't get that kind of funtionability with a $5 mouse, and you'd
have to spend alot of energy scrolling.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:41:23 PM

"Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> The answer does follow the question when top posting, assuming that
> one has read the previous post..

That's correct, Mike - but that's somewhat cumbersome also. And this
may not work if the newsreader is configured to show unread messages
only.

--
d-d
Anonymous

In article <#clIgoVoFHA.700@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, kelly@mvps.org
says...
> However, if you are the original poster, you already know your question and
> are waiting for the answer?

But this isn't email and this isn't a 1:1 type system, this is a
1:100000000 type system. Many Usenet systems expire articles before some
users get a chance to read them - and having the relevant part a person
is replying to at the top (snipped properly) and then the reply at the
bottom or inline, makes the reading flow properly.

You don't read a book from last page to first page, the same is true
here.

Many Usenet users, thank to MS, don't have a clue that this isn't email,
that this is public, that articles expire, that they are posting a
message to zillions of people.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:58:56 PM

In article <Oa$qNuZoFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca says...
> Detlev
>
> The answer does follow the question when top posting, assuming that one has
> read the previous post..

And therein lies the problem - if you understand usenet you would know
that posts (articles) expire at different times on different servers.

So, as an example - a person posts a problem on Jan 1, 2005. They get no
the post, so, now we have a reply with no understanding of what the
reply is about. Same is true for top posting, you reply in July 2005,
but the original article has expired on all the servers except google
(which most people don't use) and you have to page down to see what the
problem was then page up to read the response because it's out of order.

Look at it like reading a page of a book, or like chapters in a book,
you don't start at the end and read backwards.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:58:57 PM

Leythos

I use OE and keep posts for no longer than 5 days in the public groups.. I
flag all that I answer or where I am interested in how something is answered
by another.. read and unread are all showing.. I have found that posts are
rarely active for more than 5 days, and many do not last even close to
that.. so I don't really care if posts are dropped in other systems.. I
would not know about it anyway because of my modus operandii here.. :-)

Quote: Look at it like reading a page of a book, or like chapters in a
book, you don't start at the end and read backwards. <end>

You are absolutely right in the above, but then again, I don't join a book
in the middle and hope that there is enough info to save me having to start
at the very beginning..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> In article <Oa$qNuZoFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
> mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca says...
>> Detlev
>>
>> The answer does follow the question when top posting, assuming that one
>> has
>> read the previous post..
>
> And therein lies the problem - if you understand usenet you would know
> that posts (articles) expire at different times on different servers.
>
> So, as an example - a person posts a problem on Jan 1, 2005. They get no
> the post, so, now we have a reply with no understanding of what the
> reply is about. Same is true for top posting, you reply in July 2005,
> but the original article has expired on all the servers except google
> (which most people don't use) and you have to page down to see what the
> problem was then page up to read the response because it's out of order.
>
> Look at it like reading a page of a book, or like chapters in a book,
> you don't start at the end and read backwards.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:59:56 PM

In article <43009B83.5EF885F6@d-d.mvps.org>, detdreyer@flashmail.com
says...
> "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > The answer does follow the question when top posting, assuming that
> > one has read the previous post..
>
> That's correct, Mike - but that's somewhat cumbersome also. And this
> may not work if the newsreader is configured to show unread messages
> only.

Good catch, I've always had my Usenet client only display Unread Posts,
I never wanted to see all the ones I had read already or the ones that I
had marked as read/cleared.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:19:54 PM

Bruce Hagen wrote:

> I can click the mouse wheel and drag it down the page very quickly.
> My post was only meant to be sarcastic. Surely you can see that. <g>
>
> Bruce Hagen

And so was mine.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:20:14 PM

After much discussion "ITinerant" wanted to thank all that contributed...

Thank you all so much for such a lively discussion.
I see that there are a few who feel strongly about this topic.
I've decided to keep my opinions and preferences to myself.
The manner in which this message is posted might give a clue.
I am glad I asked. It has been enlightening to say the least.
I look forward to seeing your posts in the near future.

/ ITinerant

<snip>

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> inquired in the original message
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

<snip>
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:04:14 PM

In article <eQ7nHuaoFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca says...
> Leythos
>
> I use OE and keep posts for no longer than 5 days in the public groups.. I
> flag all that I answer or where I am interested in how something is answered
> by another.. read and unread are all showing.. I have found that posts are
> rarely active for more than 5 days, and many do not last even close to
> that.. so I don't really care if posts are dropped in other systems.. I
> would not know about it anyway because of my modus operandii here.. :-)
>
> Quote: Look at it like reading a page of a book, or like chapters in a
> book, you don't start at the end and read backwards. <end>
>
> You are absolutely right in the above, but then again, I don't join a book
> in the middle and hope that there is enough info to save me having to start
> at the very beginning..

Mike - In all your time here I can't believe that you've always entered
a thread at the start and never joined one in the middle. If that's the
case you've not been on Usenet very long. I don't get paid to sit around
and monitor the groups, but I have my systems setup to show only new
articles and scan for ones that I've participated it as well as ones
that catch my eye - since I may have marked a entire group as read
without reading every post, sometimes I find a thread that I missed
before - it would be a total PITA to have to go back and pull the thread
or to have to scan google for the start.

There are a few groups where Top Posting is normal (like HTML also), but
MS really f'd it up when they didn't create a quality Usenet client and
let people come into Usenet with a cheap email client.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:04:15 PM

Leythos

I only ever keep public posts for 5 days.. in that period of time, the only
postings that grow quickly are where people are arguing.. I try to avoid
posts where there are a large number of threads, and I remember the ones
that interest me.. and I never scan Google groups or look back for anything
other than what I have flagged.. I also think that if one reads threads
starting with the original post, there is a better chance of getting a full
picture.. sometimes, the threads in between lack info that may have been
pertinent because of careless snipping.. of course, doing it this way leads
to much frustration when I have to scroll down to the lower portion of each
thread.. :-)

Re. Usenet, I have been around for a long time under various guises and from
a variety of locations, but who cares.. I adapted to using OE, and
regardless of old Usenet rules, I use it in a way that suits me while still
helping those who ask for it.. is that not what newsgroups are all about?..
standing on ceremony all of the time holds progress back..

If I had my way, I would do away with web based newsgroups and have
everybody use OE or similar as their newsreader..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> In article <eQ7nHuaoFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
> mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca says...
>> Leythos
>>
>> I use OE and keep posts for no longer than 5 days in the public groups..
>> flag all that I answer or where I am interested in how something is
>> answered
>> by another.. read and unread are all showing.. I have found that posts
>> are
>> rarely active for more than 5 days, and many do not last even close to
>> that.. so I don't really care if posts are dropped in other systems.. I
>> would not know about it anyway because of my modus operandii here.. :-)
>>
>> Quote: Look at it like reading a page of a book, or like chapters in a
>> book, you don't start at the end and read backwards. <end>
>>
>> You are absolutely right in the above, but then again, I don't join a
>> book
>> in the middle and hope that there is enough info to save me having to
>> start
>> at the very beginning..
>
> Mike - In all your time here I can't believe that you've always entered
> a thread at the start and never joined one in the middle. If that's the
> case you've not been on Usenet very long. I don't get paid to sit around
> and monitor the groups, but I have my systems setup to show only new
> articles and scan for ones that I've participated it as well as ones
> that catch my eye - since I may have marked a entire group as read
> without reading every post, sometimes I find a thread that I missed
> before - it would be a total PITA to have to go back and pull the thread
> or to have to scan google for the start.
>
> There are a few groups where Top Posting is normal (like HTML also), but
> MS really f'd it up when they didn't create a quality Usenet client and
> let people come into Usenet with a cheap email client.
>

> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:28:15 PM

Oh boy, here we go again. Mention top posting, or criticize eXPerience in
this place and hell hath no fury like an XP-lover scorned.

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
| Hi,
| I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
| instead of at the top?
| Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
| latest reply.
| In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
|
| What news reader are folks using that does this?
|
| This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
|
| / ITinerant

August 15, 2005 11:20:47 PM

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Re. Usenet, I have been around for a long time under various guises and from
> a variety of locations, but who cares.. I adapted to using OE, and
> regardless of old Usenet rules, I use it in a way that suits me while still
> helping those who ask for it.. is that not what newsgroups are all about?..
> standing on ceremony all of the time holds progress back..

I don't think Microsoft were thinking progress, they just used the same
code for replying to emails.

Then again, not adhering to standards and inventing your own is a
favourite pastime of Microsoft's ;)

--
Marc
Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information..
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:20:48 PM

Marc wrote:
> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Re. Usenet, I have been around for a long time under various guises
>> and from a variety of locations, but who cares.. I adapted to using
>> OE, and regardless of old Usenet rules, I use it in a way that suits
>> me while still helping those who ask for it.. is that not what
>> newsgroups are all about?.. standing on ceremony all of the time
>> holds progress back..
>
> I don't think Microsoft were thinking progress, they just used the
> same code for replying to emails.

Yep. More about getting away with doing as little as possible, rather
than trying to move Newsgroup communications along.

> Then again, not adhering to standards and inventing your own is a
> favourite pastime of Microsoft's ;)

To MS, there is no thing as any standard that didn't come from within
MS.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:20:48 PM

Marc

We all consider our own adopted way to be best.. that is why the top post -
bottom post discussion goes on..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Re. Usenet, I have been around for a long time under various guises and
>> from a variety of locations, but who cares.. I adapted to using OE, and
>> regardless of old Usenet rules, I use it in a way that suits me while
>> still helping those who ask for it.. is that not what newsgroups are all
>> about?.. standing on ceremony all of the time holds progress back..
>
> I don't think Microsoft were thinking progress, they just used the same
> code for replying to emails.
>
> Then again, not adhering to standards and inventing your own is a
> favourite pastime of Microsoft's ;)
>
> --
> Marc
> Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information..
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:18:54 AM

In article <uZcHd1coFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca says...
> Marc
>
> We all consider our own adopted way to be best.. that is why the top post -
> bottom post discussion goes on..

But do you really think that people actually think their way is best, or
is it just the they really think that being ignorant of respected
methods and what could be seen as the "proper" method is OK since they
don't really care enough to learn before they start doing?

When I joined Usenet in the early 80's I was very impressed with the
ability to interact with diverse groups in many locations at one time. I
was very impressed with the structure and methods and would read to
learn for hours. I didn't start seeing the top-posting waves of what
many of us considered ignorant users until MS setup OE to provide an
interface to Usenet. Before that time, Usenet was limited to those that
learned about it's existence and then could find a client to access it.

When people learn that servers don't retail every article, that they
should strip out the parts of a post they are not addressing, that the
Sig is suppose to be 4 lines or less, that you are suppose to snip the
sig in a reply, that 72 or 73 characters is considered the EOL, that
using HTML is bad form in most all groups, and that articles are ready
by the masses not just the person that is being replied to, they
sometimes change their ways, the others just remain stubborn and rude.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:18:55 AM

Unless you want to have a Net Gestapo, then people will post as they see
fit.

But those of us that have seen your Authoritarian side know that is just
what you long for, enforced conformity.

--

Leythos wrote:
> In article <uZcHd1coFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
> mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca says...
>> Marc
>>
>> We all consider our own adopted way to be best.. that is why the top
>> post - bottom post discussion goes on..
>
> But do you really think that people actually think their way is best,
> or is it just the they really think that being ignorant of respected
> methods and what could be seen as the "proper" method is OK since they
> don't really care enough to learn before they start doing?
>
> When I joined Usenet in the early 80's I was very impressed with the
> ability to interact with diverse groups in many locations at one
> time. I was very impressed with the structure and methods and would
> read to learn for hours. I didn't start seeing the top-posting waves
> of what many of us considered ignorant users until MS setup OE to
> provide an interface to Usenet. Before that time, Usenet was limited
> to those that learned about it's existence and then could find a
> client to access it.
>
> When people learn that servers don't retail every article, that they
> should strip out the parts of a post they are not addressing, that the
> Sig is suppose to be 4 lines or less, that you are suppose to snip the
> sig in a reply, that 72 or 73 characters is considered the EOL, that
> using HTML is bad form in most all groups, and that articles are ready
> by the masses not just the person that is being replied to, they
> sometimes change their ways, the others just remain stubborn and rude.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:51:16 AM

In article <e33H#mdoFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
> Unless you want to have a Net Gestapo, then people will post as they see
> fit.
>
> But those of us that have seen your Authoritarian side know that is just
> what you long for, enforced conformity.

Yea, I love you too :)

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:51:17 AM

Leythos wrote:
> In article <e33H#mdoFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
> dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
>> Unless you want to have a Net Gestapo, then people will post as they
>> see fit.
>>
>> But those of us that have seen your Authoritarian side know that is
>> just what you long for, enforced conformity.
>
> Yea, I love you too :)

Sure you do.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
August 16, 2005 4:04:43 AM

>If I had my way, I would do away with web based newsgroups and have
>everybody use OE or similar as their newsreader..

AMEN!

However, I speak this because it is the only way I know and have used. I
find all other measures uncomfortable. Not that I can not be a conformist
if need be, just feel comfort enough where I am.
--

> [...]
>>> start
>>> at the very beginning..
>>
>> Mike - In all your time here I can't believe that you've always entered
>> a thread at the start and never joined one in the middle. If that's the
>> case you've not been on Usenet very long. I don't get paid to sit around
>> and monitor the groups, but I have my systems setup to show only new
>> articles and scan for ones that I've participated it as well as ones
>> that catch my eye - since I may have marked a entire group as read
>> without reading every post, sometimes I find a thread that I missed
>> before - it would be a total PITA to have to go back and pull the thread
>> or to have to scan google for the start.
>>
>> There are a few groups where Top Posting is normal (like HTML also), but
>> MS really f'd it up when they didn't create a quality Usenet client and
>> let people come into Usenet with a cheap email client.

August 16, 2005 4:05:55 AM

Hey now.....WhoDat belongs to Saints fans! :o )

--

"WhoDat" <roberts@worldwidenet.net> wrote in message
> Oh boy, here we go again. Mention top posting, or criticize eXPerience in
> this place and hell hath no fury like an XP-lover scorned.
>
> "ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
> | Hi,
> | I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> | instead of at the top?
> | Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see
> the
> | latest reply.
> | In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
> |
> | What news reader are folks using that does this?
> |
> | This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
> |
> | / ITinerant

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:27:06 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:09:15 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi Kurt,
>
>I can see his point even though I can't relate. :o (
>
>What seems to be an annoyance (to only OE users, dunno?) are the msft posts
>that come through here (tomcat) with nothing attached.

Top-posting is also inconvient to those of us who use other
newsreaders than Outlook Express, IF the one who top-posts inserts his
signature directly after his post. For example, my newsreader is
Agent 3, which snips out signatures IF they are on the very bottom of
a person's post, but leaves them if they are within the body of his
post.

Bandwidth is no problem for me, since I have a broad-band connection.
However, I do realize (sometimes) that others are still on 28.8kbps
connections. Personally, if I had a connection like that, I wouldn't
even try to download Usenet posts.

While it IS easier to read a person's reply to a post if he top-posts,
and bottom-posting IS a Usenet "convention" (if it were an enforceable
RULE, servers would refuse to post messages with top-posts), as far as
I am concerned, it is up to the other person where he wants to start
his reply. I am not really concerned to the point of bother whether a
person top posts, or bottom posts. I am not so much concerned with
keeping conventions. I prefer to live out my Faith as closelyl as
possible. Part of this is the way I respond to others and treat them
in all my behavior. I know I do not always live up to my own
standards. But I still TRY.

My preferred method of replying to a post is by snipping and inserting
my reply within the body of the post, where I can answer each
individual point the other poster makes. I get lazy from time to
time, however, and usually bottom-post after quoting everything I am
replying to.

In general, I try to add my signature to the BOTTOM of my post.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order
August 16, 2005 1:36:40 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:28:15 -0700, "WhoDat"
<roberts@worldwidenet.net> wrote:

>Oh boy, here we go again. Mention top posting, or criticize eXPerience in
>this place and hell hath no fury like an XP-lover scorned.
>
>"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
>| Hi,
>| I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>| instead of at the top?
>| Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
>| latest reply.
>| In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>|
>| What news reader are folks using that does this?
>|
>| This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>|
>| / ITinerant

1) Bottom or Top posting have absolutely NOTHING to do with Windows
XP. Many with XP bottom post, and many with XP Top Post. Please try
to separate the two subjects, since this thread concerns bottom or top
posting, not the OS we are using.
2) Those who bottom post have usually been using the Usenet for a
while, and generally try to conform to Usenet conventions.
3) Those who top post usually are Usenet noobies, or use web-based
newsreaders, or use Outlook Express because that is what is supplied
with the OS. If Outlook Express had a setting to insert signatures at
the bottom, more people would bottom-post.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order
August 16, 2005 4:49:22 PM

Donald McDaniel wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:09:15 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kurt,
>>
>> I can see his point even though I can't relate. :o (
>>
>> What seems to be an annoyance (to only OE users, dunno?) are the
>> msft posts that come through here (tomcat) with nothing attached.
>
> Top-posting is also inconvient to those of us who use other
> newsreaders than Outlook Express, IF the one who top-posts inserts his
> signature directly after his post. For example, my newsreader is
> Agent 3, which snips out signatures IF they are on the very bottom of
> a person's post, but leaves them if they are within the body of his
> post.
>
> Bandwidth is no problem for me, since I have a broad-band connection.
> However, I do realize (sometimes) that others are still on 28.8kbps
> connections. Personally, if I had a connection like that, I wouldn't
> even try to download Usenet posts.
>
> While it IS easier to read a person's reply to a post if he top-posts,
> and bottom-posting IS a Usenet "convention" (if it were an enforceable
> RULE, servers would refuse to post messages with top-posts), as far as
> I am concerned, it is up to the other person where he wants to start
> his reply. I am not really concerned to the point of bother whether a
> person top posts, or bottom posts. I am not so much concerned with
> keeping conventions. I prefer to live out my Faith as closelyl as
> possible. Part of this is the way I respond to others and treat them
> in all my behavior. I know I do not always live up to my own
> standards. But I still TRY.
>
> My preferred method of replying to a post is by snipping and inserting
> my reply within the body of the post, where I can answer each
> individual point the other poster makes. I get lazy from time to
> time, however, and usually bottom-post after quoting everything I am
> replying to.
>
> In general, I try to add my signature to the BOTTOM of my post.
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread
> so that conversations may be kept in order

That is a problem with you newsreader. Mine handles it just fine.
Removes the sig, but not the quoted thread.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:43:41 PM

In message <cv34g1tb8gdt6shjpg20108f04r00gg72i@4ax.com> Donald McDaniel
<dlmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Bandwidth is no problem for me, since I have a broad-band connection.
>However, I do realize (sometimes) that others are still on 28.8kbps
>connections. Personally, if I had a connection like that, I wouldn't
>even try to download Usenet posts.

Why not? Usenet (and to some extent email) was one of the most pleasant
parts about being online when I was stuck on dialup while on vacation
last July... No waiting, since the posts can be downloaded in advance.

--
Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?
Anonymous

ITinerant wrote:

> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?

Because lots of people like to read the question first and then the
answer to it.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
!