Hi,
I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
instead of at the top?
Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
latest reply.
In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.

What news reader are folks using that does this?

This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

/ ITinerant

When I was working the filing practice was always file in reverse
chronological order. The latest correspondence on the top. Posting on top is
my preference.
It appears Outlook Express follows this criteria for the cursor defaults to
the top.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

When I first started posting replies, I got hollered at for posting either
way. If I reply directly to the OP, I top post. If I tag on to a reply by
someone else, I will usually bottom post.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/ITinerant/ said:

> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

There are proponents of both styles. Top-posting makes best sense in
mail, when perhaps a single reply can be expected.

In news groups, where threads are deep, I think bottom-posting makes for
better intelligibility - if done with a competent newsreader that does not
mangle quotes as O.E. can. The entire thread can be viewed, and
continuity of the discussion is preserved. Redundancies and sigs can be
stripped. <ctrl-end> usually scrolls to the bottom in a flash.

Another problem with top-posting in groups is that some readers strip out
all text below the -- signature delimiter, as they should. Thus, the
earlier text may vanish, forcing the reader to click on references - which
may have expired from the server.

One thing on which either camp would likely agree is that mixed posting -
bottom and top - quickly creates an unreadable mess. Whichever style you
use, it is best to go with the flow of the thread.^

In article <eLU4GMToFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "ITinerant"
<rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>instead of at the top?
>Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
>latest reply.
>In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
>What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
>This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
>/ ITinerant

There's no need to spend time scrolling in Outlook Express. Press
Ctrl-End to get to the bottom of the message instantly.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

The old Usenet rule was that one answered underneath such that readers could
see what was being answered.. I always read all of the way through, or if
following up, tend to remember what has already been stated.. so I prefer
top posting.. usenet purists dislike it, but hey..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

[Oh, here we go...]

ITinerant wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

Then you have to scroll back if it is a long answer.. nooooooooo way.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
> In article <eLU4GMToFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "ITinerant"
> <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>>instead of at the top?
>>Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
>>latest reply.
>>In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>>
>>What news reader are folks using that does this?
>>
>>This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>>
>>/ ITinerant
>
> There's no need to spend time scrolling in Outlook Express. Press
> Ctrl-End to get to the bottom of the message instantly.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Ed

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:48:15 -0700, "ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net>
wrote:

>I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>instead of at the top?

I've never understood why the whole messages being replied to is
brought forward as a quote. I think that is laziness whether posting
at the top or bottom.

I think the more intelligent way is to snip out the specific part(s)
one is replying to and post a specific reply to each specific part.

>Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
>latest reply.

I find it even more annoying where people bring forward a quote
containing multi levels of quotes going back 10 or more messages and
then post a one sentence reply to it.... LAZY! or... they never
learned what copy&paste is or what the shortcut ctrl-c and ctrl-v is
used for.

>This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

And it wasn't taken as such, or wasn't by me at least....

Regards,
Ed

>>Quote of Quote
>>>Quote of Quote of Quote

See how utterly Stupid it is?

In article <uyMOanUoFHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Mike Hall
\(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>>Hi,
>>>I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>>>instead of at the top?
>>>Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
>>>latest reply.
>>>In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>>>
>>>What news reader are folks using that does this?
>>>
>>>This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>>>
>>>/ ITinerant
>>
>> There's no need to spend time scrolling in Outlook Express. Press
>> Ctrl-End to get to the bottom of the message instantly.
>
>Then you have to scroll back if it is a long answer.. nooooooooo way.. :)

No, you don't. Press Ctrl-Home to get to the top of the message
instantly. BTW, those characters work in most windows, not just
Outlook Express.

I'll tell you a reason that I prefer bottom posting, Mike. Your reply
has the "-- " line before your signature. When I reply to your
message using Agent, it automatically removes everything below the
signature line. Unfortunately, that removes the original message and
every reply except yours, too. I have to press Ctrl-A (Select All)
before replying.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

I think it is kinda dumb to read the answer before you read the question

--
Carl G
"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>
> / ITinerant

kelly

However, if you are the original poster, you already know your question and
are waiting for the answer?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
>I think it is kinda dumb to read the answer before you read the question
>
> --
> Carl G
> "ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>> instead of at the top?
>> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see
>> the latest reply.
>> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>>
>> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>>
>> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.
>>
>> / ITinerant

In article <eLU4GMToFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, rsvp@newsgroup.net
says...
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?

Because in Usenet, which is what this entire system is based on, the
norm is to snip parts of the post you are replying to, so that you don't
repost everything, and put your response BELOW the original. As most
people read from Top Down, this make the flow proper and easy for those
normal types to follow the thread - it also means we can insert comments
in between your lines and you can get a clear understanding of what we
are posting a reply about.

> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.

Me too - it means that some lamer didn't bother to "snip" the drivel and
just did a reply without thinking.

> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?

The only news reader that doesn't properly bottom post is Outlook
Express as it's not a real Usenet client, it is a kludge.

> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

If you search for a Usenet FAQ you would already know that top posting
is for email, where everyone knows what you are already talking about,
since it's between just a couple people.

In Usenet your message could be read by zillions of people and they may
not have seen the prior posts in the thread - that's the reason for the
Top Down method (like in any BOOK you read).

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Carl G wrote:
> I think it is kinda dumb to read the answer before you read the question

Reminds me of a TV game show!

"ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote:

> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?

I tolerate either way, however, I think that it should be like the
"real life": The answer follows the question...

--
d-d

kelly

Hey now, Detlev.....Cajun folks do things way different from German folks!
:eek:)

--

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

> Hey now, Detlev.....Cajun folks do things way different from German
> folks! :eek:)

Opposites attract. ;)

--
d-d

Detlev

The answer does follow the question when top posting, assuming that one has
read the previous post..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote in message
> "ITinerant" <rsvp@newsgroup.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
>> instead of at the top?
>
> I tolerate either way, however, I think that it should be like the
> "real life": The answer follows the question...
>
> --
> d-d

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ITinerant wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?
> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to see the
> latest reply.
> In fact, I usually go on to the next post when I'm just lurking.
>
> What news reader are folks using that does this?
>
> This isn't meant to be a mean spirited question.

Because most news servers delete posts based on date, so if you find a
reply to a post that you haven't read, it makes a lot more sense to have
replies underneath so the conversation flows in some sort of logical order.

If you've ever had to use Google Groups to research something, you will
appreciate how helpful it is when people reply at the bottom.

I think it's just a case of getting used to a particular format. You'll
notice that hardly any web based forums place the replies above, because
it's such a stupid idea. Email is different, because there are usually
less replies between more than one person, so I stick to top replies
with email.

--
Marc
Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information..

I'm with you. I much prefer the reply to be at the top of the message.
However "Top Posting" seems to get a bad rap in Newsgroups.

Lardy.

Bruce Hagen wrote:

> There you go. You let the secret out. <VBG>
>
> Too bad there wasn't an automatic <snipper>.
>
> I'm not against bottom posting, but when your finger goes numb from
> scrolling, well.........

Get a better mouse.

--
Peace!
Kurt

> Bruce Hagen wrote:
>
>> There you go. You let the secret out. <VBG>
>>
>> Too bad there wasn't an automatic <snipper>.
>>
>> I'm not against bottom posting, but when your finger goes numb from
>> scrolling, well.........
>
> Get a better mouse.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

I can click the mouse wheel and drag it down the page very quickly. My post
was only meant to be sarcastic. Surely you can see that. <g>

Bruce Hagen

Pray tell, what could be wrong with a $5 mouse.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

Inline is best when replying to more than one sentence/question in a
post. That way those that read your replies will be able to understand
what you are replying to, instead of having to assume which of your
comments was in reply to which of your sentence/questions.

That is your right.

Again, your right, but you may have just missed some kernel of wisdom,
just because you don't like how a response is formatted.

Personally, I think people that react to style over substance are fools.

I use OE.

And this isn't meant to be a mean-spirited response.

--

ITinerant wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm just curious as to why so many replies are under the original post
> instead of at the top?

Inline is best when replying to more than one sentence/question in a
post. That way those that read your replies will be able to understand
what you are replying to, instead of having to assume which of your
comments was in reply to which of your sentence/questions.

> Personally I find this annoying to have to scroll to the bottom to
> see the latest reply.

That is your right.