Mouse problem

Bosh_60

Oct 24, 2012
Hello, I have tried three different mice each with their own drivers. All three freeze up from 5-10 secs and occasionally freeze completely necessitating a reboot. ?What can I try next?

Solution
If you put a known working device in a quetioable port and it doesn't work then that would verify that the port has gone bad and it could be the motherbord or the bios chip at fault. You could try upgrading the bios bfore you jumped on a new motherboard.
Have you completely deleted the drivers for each mouse that you have tried? Is this a new built computer or have you had it awhile and you just are trying to change the mouse? Can you do a system restore to a time before the problem started.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
When the mouse freezes, does the keyboard still work? (Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete).
If the keyboard isn't working either, the probably is not the mouse.

Are other USB devices working? It's possible that the USB ports are failing.

It's also possible that the computer is simply locking up, which would indicate a more severe problem.

Knowing nothing about your computer (and not knowing how well you are describing the problem you have), that's all the help I can offer.

Bosh_60

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
1. all mice are USB and have rotated them all to different ports.
2. all drivers uninstalled before installation of new mouse.
3. keyboard works fine but have not tried it in any other port.
4. all mice work fine on different computer.
5. only change...recent MS updates..have no idea what the updates pertained to.
6 completey did an OS reinstall and applied all updates...problem persists.
7. ?question. can usb ports go bad? will try keyboard in other ports. if keyboard does not work properly, is it time for new MB?
Again, thank you all.

If you put a known working device in a quetioable port and it doesn't work then that would verify that the port has gone bad and it could be the motherbord or the bios chip at fault. You could try upgrading the bios bfore you jumped on a new motherboard.

Solution

Bosh_60

Oct 24, 2012
Thank you all. Consider this thread answered and closed. Winter near, already to cold to go out and "play". Since I've got another computer I think I will cannablize this PC and try my hand at building a new one...a first for me!