*Still* no solution to the 2K/XP permissions problems??

October 26, 2004 8:06:30 PM

I remember having to do the make admin/install/revoke admin thing a
very long time ago. Still no better solutions??

I'm trying to get a Zire 71 to work w/o admin rights on Win2k Pro. The
temporarily make the user admin "solution" is not going to work. (Too
many users, all need to use same Palm for some measurement
applications.) That non-solution workaround is fine if there is only
one user and he never plans on retiring or dieing. But what about
multiple users?

Tell me someone has solved this already.

I've tried giving users Full Control perms to the entire Palm folder,
and I've tried copying the registry entires it makes to the
Administrator account's profile to other acccounts. No luck.

Why does the newest Palm Desktop software still insist on writing to
hkey_current_user anyway?? Why can't they rewrite this turd one of
these years?

How can Palm say that "Palm Desktop version 3.x and above is
compatible with Windows 2000."?? (Palm Solution ID 4699) Its not
compatible if you have to jump through hoops just to make it run!

The only thing else I could find from Palm is Solution ID 19966 - "If
you have multiple user profiles, to use the Palm Desktop Software with
your Palm Zire handheld you must be logged on as the administrator in
Windows 2000 or Windows XP."

Needless to say, this is not what I wanted to hear. Oh, just give all
your users Administrator access so they can install their home
programs and/or fill the harddrive up with spyware and trojans. Nice
"solution", Palm!

Is there any Palm model that doesn't have these permisions problems?

Sorry for all the ranting, but seriously, if anyone has hacked
together some scripting or other means of working around this, please
let me know.

Thanks,
Ivan
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 12:53:12 AM

On 26 Oct 2004 16:06:30 -0700, Ivan wrote:

> Is there any Palm model that doesn't have these permisions problems?

Just to clarify a misconception. The problem isn't with the handheld, it's
with Palm Desktop and the associated conduits.

--
Derek

"... in the end, there is nothing a man can do that a woman can¢t, except
be a father." -- Frank Pittman
November 2, 2004 6:23:39 AM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:06:30 -0700, Ivan wrote:

> Needless to say, this is not what I wanted to hear. Oh, just give all your
> users Administrator access so they can install their home programs and/or
> fill the harddrive up with spyware and trojans. Nice "solution", Palm!
>
> Is there any Palm model that doesn't have these permisions problems?

its not a problem with the pdas, its the desktop software. this probably
is not going to help you but under linux, i'm able to use my pda (sony
clie) as a non-admin, normal user.
November 2, 2004 12:18:36 PM

Make a new user account called "PalmUser" make him an admin, install the
palm software on the computer. Restart. Make him a regular user.

Have all of the employees that need to use the palm for whatever log into
the "PalmUser" account.

"Ivan" <ivankline@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I remember having to do the make admin/install/revoke admin thing a
> very long time ago. Still no better solutions??
>
> I'm trying to get a Zire 71 to work w/o admin rights on Win2k Pro. The
> temporarily make the user admin "solution" is not going to work. (Too
> many users, all need to use same Palm for some measurement
> applications.) That non-solution workaround is fine if there is only
> one user and he never plans on retiring or dieing. But what about
> multiple users?
>
> Tell me someone has solved this already.
>
> I've tried giving users Full Control perms to the entire Palm folder,
> and I've tried copying the registry entires it makes to the
> Administrator account's profile to other acccounts. No luck.
>
> Why does the newest Palm Desktop software still insist on writing to
> hkey_current_user anyway?? Why can't they rewrite this turd one of
> these years?
>
> How can Palm say that "Palm Desktop version 3.x and above is
> compatible with Windows 2000."?? (Palm Solution ID 4699) Its not
> compatible if you have to jump through hoops just to make it run!
>
> The only thing else I could find from Palm is Solution ID 19966 - "If
> you have multiple user profiles, to use the Palm Desktop Software with
> your Palm Zire handheld you must be logged on as the administrator in
> Windows 2000 or Windows XP."
>
> Needless to say, this is not what I wanted to hear. Oh, just give all
> your users Administrator access so they can install their home
> programs and/or fill the harddrive up with spyware and trojans. Nice
> "solution", Palm!
>
> Is there any Palm model that doesn't have these permisions problems?
>
> Sorry for all the ranting, but seriously, if anyone has hacked
> together some scripting or other means of working around this, please
> let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Ivan
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 6:53:00 PM

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:18:36 -0500, Lone Bard had this to say...

> Make a new user account called "PalmUser" make him an admin, install the
> palm software on the computer. Restart. Make him a regular user.
>
> Have all of the employees that need to use the palm for whatever log into
> the "PalmUser" account.

You also need to do one hotsync as administrator to finish writing the
registry.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson