new computer backup problem

I bought a new computer (viro (sony) brand). But I didn't find any
support diskets or CDs in the package. I need to backup its system
files, my friend told me that. What should I do and how I can do it?
Please help me. Thank you.
4 answers Last reply
More about computer backup problem

    yc wrote:

    > I bought a new computer (viro (sony) brand). But I didn't find any
    > support diskets or CDs in the package. I need to backup its system
    > files, my friend told me that. What should I do and how I can do it?
    > Please help me. Thank you.

    First of all, legally Sony must have provided some way for you to
    restore your system. It could be a hidden partition on the hard drive,
    a real operating system disk, or a restore disk. I would refer to the
    manual/help files or contact Sony tech support about this.

    You could always image the drive with something like Ghost or TrueImage,
    but not all laptops image successfully. You really should find out what
    method Sony provided in any case.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    > yc wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a new computer (viro (sony) brand). But I didn't find any
    >> support diskets or CDs in the package. I need to backup its system
    >> files, my friend told me that. What should I do and how I can do it?
    >> Please help me. Thank you.

    <snip>

    > You could always image the drive with something like Ghost or TrueImage,
    > but not all laptops image successfully. You really should find out what
    > method Sony provided in any case.
    >
    > Malke

    Interesting statement Malke. What problems have you seen? I image laptops
    frequently and have not run into this. If it does occur, it would throw a
    monkey wrench into my normal repair methodology, as I image to an external
    USB hard drive the Windows partition of every computer I work on. I'm just
    trying to be prepared.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    >> I bought a new computer (viro (sony) brand). But I didn't find any
    >> support diskets or CDs in the package. I need to backup its system
    >> files, my friend told me that. What should I do and how I can do it?
    >> Please help me. Thank you.

    Most newer systems (if they do not come with a restore CD) have the option
    (usually in the manufacturer's preinstalled software section) to create a
    restore CD set.
    I just finished doing that for an HP system I picked up (for my son) on
    clearance at Wal-Mart.
    8 CDs in the set.
    --
    For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!

    Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:

    >> You could always image the drive with something like Ghost or
    >> TrueImage, but not all laptops image successfully. You really should
    >> find out what method Sony provided in any case.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >
    > Interesting statement Malke. What problems have you seen? I image
    > laptops frequently and have not run into this. If it does occur, it
    > would throw a monkey wrench into my normal repair methodology, as I
    > image to an external USB hard drive the Windows partition of every
    > computer I work on. I'm just trying to be prepared.

    Hey, Richard. A little background to set the stage - my youngest goes to
    a school with a laptop program. The school can't afford to buy all the
    computers, so the parents have to. Don The School Tech God (who is a
    good friend of mine) has a list of various machines for which he has
    images. If a parent chooses to buy a machine off that list, it has to
    be hand-configured for school, and the work is outsourced to me (yay!
    work!).

    So while I don't have a huge experience imaging different laptops, I've
    set up about a dozen of them over the last few weeks. After I get them
    configured, I image them with TrueImage using a bootable cd and storing
    the image on an external hard drive. Out of the dozen or so, I've had
    two machines that absolutely would not run TrueImage. TI wouldn't run
    or would hang. Now, maybe they would run a different imaging program
    but I wasn't messing about with that so I don't know. I asked Don about
    this and he said that he had run into the same situation (he uses
    Corporate Ghost) too and all we can figure is that there must be
    something peculiar with those laptops' recovery program, hardware,
    BIOS, or something. Not very precise, but you are the person who could
    probably figure out why far better than I could since you are so good
    with hardware.

    The funny thing is that it isn't a whole product line, just one machine.
    For instance, I had two Acers and one of them imaged beautifully and
    the other would load TI and then just hang.

    If you have any ideas about this, I'd love it if you'd take this off the
    ng and email me privately.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers