Lag within RTS GAMES!!! HELP!!!

LittleAuzzie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
When running games such as warcraft 3 and C&C Generals, when you play a skirmish game when its you vs comps, why does the game lag up heaps with the comp players? This is expecially seen as more comps = more lag. I dont understand why this is happening. My system is a P4 1.7G, 9700 Atlantis, 512 DDR333 ram, 7200 8mb cache Hdd, Gigabyte GA-8SG800 mobo... Please help me! Lag shits me to tears!!!

And its not a graphical problem, as it happens at no matter what resolution i set it to..

Mate these fair-dinkum contraptions are bloddy alright... Pity they can't jump as high as a kangaroo!!

Its quite possibly a mix of your processor and your sound card, with those games. It takes a lot of system resources to process everything for comp players in games like those.

And if you are using the ALC 650 onboard sound, then that is actually utilizing between 5-25 percent of your cpu utilization and slowing you down. In fact, I would say that is the most likely cause of your lag.

And since you have a 1.7G processor, Your performance really isn't that much better than a AMD Duron 1.3G, or Intel Celeron 1.7G anyway...

Other than that, the rest of the hardware you are using should have no problem with games like those...unless faulty hardware or you set it up wrong...but I doubt that you'd set it up wrong.

<font color=blue> Computer fans are really cooling fans for the user. When they run, the user is cool, but whenever they break, the user starts sweating!! </font color=blue>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Simple, because more comp players = more buildings and units. And true 3D RTS games like WC3 and C&C: Generals you'll need extreme system performance to coupe up with all the realtime rendering. This has something to do with the amazing speed of AI players buiding their units and buidings, they are buiding tonnes of units to attack you so you'll get the lagging. I also run into the same problem when all players sum up more than 300 units in same time.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>