system restore

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have windows xp professional on my laptop and I cannot find system restore
anywhere , is it possible not to have it ? thanks...tom

It should be located on your Start menu/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System
Restore. If it is not there. Click your Start button, click Run, then type:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Restore\RSTRUI.EXE

then click the OK button. If System Restore opens, then someone might have deleted the
shortcut from the Start menu.

That assumes that Windows XP is installed on your C: drive, in the Windows folder. If
Windows XP is installed on a different drive, change the drive letter in the path
accordingly. Also, on some systems Windows XP might be installed to the C:\WindowsNT
folder. But, C:\Windows is the norm.

If System Restore opens from the RUN command on the Start menu, you might want to make a
shortcut either on your desktop, or on the Start menu for it. If none of the above
helps, try booting into Safe Mode:

Power on your system, and press the F8 key BEFORE the Windows XP logo (you might have to
press that key a few times, but not enough to bring up a keyboard error message). If you
see the Windows XP logo with Windows XP loading, you have gone too far, and must start
again. You should see a black screen with choices. Opt for: Safe Mode, then when the
Welcome Screen opens, select your identity. Just before the Safe Mode desktop loads, a
dialog box will open asking if you want to go to the Safe Mode desktop, or directly to
System Restore. Click the NO button, and System Restore should open.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"tom" <tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have windows xp professional on my laptop and I cannot find system restore
> anywhere , is it possible not to have it ? thanks...tom

kelly

Hi Tom,

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore or:
Right click My Computer/Properties/System Restore

If it is missing:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD
2. Click Start/Run and type:
"rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf"

System Restore core files should be reinstalled.

Alternately, you may also open Windows Explorer, navigate to
"C:\Windows\Inf" folder and right-click sr.inf (choose Install)

or:

Restore/Enable System Restore (Line 278)

Added info: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"tom" <tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have windows xp professional on my laptop and I cannot find system
>restore
> anywhere , is it possible not to have it ? thanks...tom

Hi Tom,

Right click on My Computer and select properties. Does the System Restore tab show?

Click Start, Run, and then type cmd /k net start and press enter. Check to make sure
that the Task Scheduler and System Restore Services are running.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User