Sign in with
Your question

Need an Expert

Last response: in CPUs
April 30, 2003 5:51:02 AM

Okay...I've got my Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard. I have two SATA hard drives I intend to install in a bootable SATA RAID 0 using the integrated SATA RAID on the ICH5R southbridge. I then want to install Windows XP onto the RAID drives. These will be the only drives in the system once I am finished.

Now, in order for me to do this, it appears I have to hit F6 during boot in order to "Install Third Party SCSI/RAID Driver."

Not too hard so far, right? Then, when prompted, I'm to insert a floppy disk containing the "iaStor.inf, iaStor.sys, iaStor.cat and TxtSetup.oem" files in the root directory.

Okay, when I saw this, I thought to myself, where does one acquire such a disk? There were no floppies included with the 8KNXP; only a CD-ROM. "Aha!" I thought. "I'll bet the files are on the CD-ROM!"

Well, apparently the files are on the CD ROM, somewhere. There is a folder on the CD-ROM entitled IAA_RAID. It has an executable file called "iata_cd.exe." See if you can decipher these instructions for extracting the files in order to copy them to diskette:
Quote:
*** Use one of the following command examples to extract the
driver files from the different packages:

c:\iata_cd.exe -a -a -p c:\<path>
c:\iata_enu.exe -a -a -p c:\<path>
c:\setup.exe -a -p c:\<path>

When run, the installation process begins; simply click
through the dialogs accordingly. This will not install the
driver, it will only extract the driver files to <path>.
Once the extraction is completed, the driver files can be
found in <path>\Driver.

Okay, I don't know about you guys, but this makes no sense to me. Just for giggles, I extracted that iata_cd.exe to a test folder using WinRAR, and it extracted several files, only one of which matched any of the four I need, and it was "iastor.cat." I performed a search on the CD-ROM, and the only other of the files I found is txtsetup.oem, which is on there several times in third party Promise SCSI and RAID drivers, but not as part of IAA.

So, now I'm confused. How do I get the other three files (iaStor.sys; iaStor.inf; and txtsetup.oem)? I'm sure the answer to this question is really simple, and I'm just too tired to see it, but I wonder if any of youse guys has ever done this before, or if you have any idea what I talking about. All I want is a stinkin floppy with those four little files on it! Do I have to be in DOS to extract these files?

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 04/30/03 02:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : expert

April 30, 2003 6:30:46 AM

Nevermind. I figured it out. Had to dust off the old DOS skills.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:
!