DCom Server Launcher Hangs On Startup

For posterity:

I had a problem with the DCom Server Launcher hanging on startup after
an XP repair, keeping me from installing SP2 or using Windows Update as
well as various other applications. I also found several posts where
people were trying to figure out how to fix.

After several hours of digging, I figured out what caused it and how to
fix, and decided to post in case someone else has the same problem.

It turns out that I used the wrong XP disc to repair from, I had
Digital Media Center Edition (SP2) installed, but repaired with XP
Corporate (SP1). It seems that repairing a SP2 installation with a SP1
installer can cause this problem, likely because the DCom Server
Launcher wasn't introduced until SP2.

All I had to do to fix once I figured out how I screwed it up was
repair once more with the SP2 installation disc, and all was fine.

Hope this helps someone at some point :>)

For "googling" purposes, here are some of the errors that I was seeing
in my event log (causing severe delays in boot up):

Syntax error in manifest or policy file
"C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies\x86_Policy.6.0.Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_x-ww_5ddad775\6.0.2600.2180.Policy"
on line 9. The root or application manifest contains the noInherit
element but the dependent assembly manifest does not contain the
noInheritable element. Application manifests which contain the
noInherit element may only depend on assemblies which are
noInheritable.

The DCOM Server Process Launcher service hung on starting.

The Security Center service failed to start due to the following error:

The executable program that this service is configured to run in does
not implement the service.

The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service hung on
starting.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
FltMgr

Better yet, remove DCOM.

How to disable DCOM support in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825750

DCOM Windows XP Do You Need It?
[[Virtually no-one needs it, wants it or uses it! ]]
http://www.updatexp.com/dcom-windows-xp.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1124079024.945751.132430@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
LongShotBuddy <greg@truckmaster.com> hunted and pecked:
> For posterity:
>
> I had a problem with the DCom Server Launcher hanging on startup after
> an XP repair, keeping me from installing SP2 or using Windows Update as
> well as various other applications. I also found several posts where
> people were trying to figure out how to fix.
>
> After several hours of digging, I figured out what caused it and how to
> fix, and decided to post in case someone else has the same problem.
>
> It turns out that I used the wrong XP disc to repair from, I had
> Digital Media Center Edition (SP2) installed, but repaired with XP
> Corporate (SP1). It seems that repairing a SP2 installation with a SP1
> installer can cause this problem, likely because the DCom Server
> Launcher wasn't introduced until SP2.
>
> All I had to do to fix once I figured out how I screwed it up was
> repair once more with the SP2 installation disc, and all was fine.
>
> Hope this helps someone at some point :>)
>
> For "googling" purposes, here are some of the errors that I was seeing
> in my event log (causing severe delays in boot up):

> Syntax error in manifest or policy file

"C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies\x86_Policy.6.0.Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls
_6595b64144ccf1df_x-ww_5ddad775\6.0.2600.2180.Policy"
> on line 9. The root or application manifest contains the noInherit
> element but the dependent assembly manifest does not contain the
> noInheritable element. Application manifests which contain the
> noInherit element may only depend on assemblies which are
> noInheritable.

> The DCOM Server Process Launcher service hung on starting.

> The Security Center service failed to start due to the following error:
>
> The executable program that this service is configured to run in does
> not implement the service.

> The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service hung on
> starting.

> The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
> FltMgr

friday56

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I was getting the same errors about DCOM do to my repairing my Windows XP Pro installation with a different disk which only had service pack 1, I tried repairing again with an XP Pro install with Service Pack 2 with no luck, it still rebooted on its own right after loggin on and only allowed me to boot into safe mode. The other issue I ran into was since days had passed before I found this web site the tiral period was over for my Windows XP repair. This was preventing me from booting into safe mode because it was telling me that I had to activate windows. I was stuck in a loop, because you can't activate Windows in safemode and I could not log in normally due to the immediate rebooting. I found that I could only reboot into safe mode with command prompt, with allowed to me to type in explorer to get the taskbar and desktop to appear. I found a Service Pack 3 CD which I used, I installed service pack 3 and was able to successfully log in after it was all done installing. Thank you for posting this, it helped me out tremendously!