broadband password

anna

I have a new laptop and am trying to connect it to my
wireless network, but it looks like my dad password
protected the wireless network. How can i find on the main
computer the password or the encrypted version?

joker

Sign into the router by browsing to it's IP address. The only problem
with that is you will need to know the password into the router. So
this now becomes more of a political problem then a technical problem.
If the router is yours reset it & use a better password to keep control
of it. How ever if you don't know the exact configuration for the
router this will only cause you more problems (such as killing the
Internet for everyone). So once again try asking your dad.

anna wrote:

> I have a new laptop and am trying to connect it to my
> wireless network, but it looks like my dad password
> protected the wireless network. How can i find on the main
> computer the password or the encrypted version?

Are you sure it is not a WEP key? If yes, then go to the
router using the main computer -- run IE and go to
192.168.2.1; the default password is admin; then look under
the security/wireless screen. Copy the key and then put it
into your wifi card (remember to scroll to see all the key).

Ask your dad for the password. Otherwise I believe you can
reset the base station to the factory settings by pushing
the little reset button with a pencil point or something.
This will reset the password to "admin".

joker

The only problem with that is if you are on a PPPoE, Static or need to
enter some funky MAC address you will need to put that information back
in. Once again I say that this sounds like it's your dad's & thus it is
more of a political issue then a technical issue. Because if it is his
you will most likely get in trouble for resetting the router.

In article <22a601c47cfe$5de4ce30$a601280a@phx.gbl>, lilo says...

> Are you sure it is not a WEP key? If yes, then go to the
> router using the main computer -- run IE and go to
> 192.168.2.1; the default password is admin; then look under
> the security/wireless screen. Copy the key and then put it
> into your wifi card (remember to scroll to see all the key).

While this probably will work for her dad's configuration, it also may not
work. In my case, the password is not the default, and neither is the IP
address of the network. What if the OP's dad has done similar?

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

In article <230f01c47d60$f9acf290$a501280a@phx.gbl>, kevin says...

> In article <224301c47ce8$7303c3e0$a601280a@phx.gbl>, anna says...

> >I have a new laptop and am trying to connect it to my
> >wireless network, but it looks like my dad password
> >protected the wireless network. How can i find on the
> >main computer the password or the encrypted version?

> Ask your dad for the password. Otherwise I believe you can
> reset the base station to the factory settings by pushing
> the little reset button with a pencil point or something.
> This will reset the password to "admin".

And lose the configuration details that her dad has set up. If he didn't
write them down, she is asking for big time trouble when she can't get the
network re-established to its present state.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

In article <224301c47ce8$7303c3e0$a601280a@phx.gbl>, anna says...

> I have a new laptop and am trying to connect it to my
> wireless network, but it looks like my dad password
> protected the wireless network. How can i find on the main
> computer the password or the encrypted version?

Is it your network, or your father's network. If it isn't yours, but his,
work with him to get yourself configured. If it is yours, don't let him
monkey with it without telling you what he is doing.

A hard reset will restore the factory defaults of the device, but it will
wipe out any special configurations; only use that as a last resort.