Windows XP CD Key

August 15, 2005 1:15:03 AM

I reformated my son's computer from the windows XP CD. While reloading the
program asked for the CD key code. Guess what, can't find it. The program was
not installed with the computer, we bought the components and buildt it and
laoded the XP OS after we built it. How can I get a new key or the one used
in the beginning? I did not know I needed to retreive it prior to reformating
HD. someone help?
--
Keith B
Tucson Az

More about : windows key

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:23:03 AM

You'll need to go out and purchase a new "Full Version" of
Windows XP....sorry!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Keith Belhumeur" wrote:

> I reformated my son's computer from the windows XP CD. While reloading the
> program asked for the CD key code. Guess what, can't find it. The program was
> not installed with the computer, we bought the components and buildt it and
> laoded the XP OS after we built it. How can I get a new key or the one used
> in the beginning? I did not know I needed to retreive it prior to reformating
> HD. someone help?
> --
> Keith B
> Tucson Az
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:28:39 AM

You will now have to find the code, it should be on a sticker that came
with the OS CD.

If you cannot find the key and it was a retail version of XP then you
may be able to purchase one from Microsoft. If the OS was an OEM
version then you could be out of luck unlass the supplier is prepared
to sell you a new OEM version, if this is not possible then purchase a
retail Upgrade version as you have a CD.
August 15, 2005 1:50:23 AM

Call Microsoft Replacement Parts (Sorry, don't have the number here).
Explain what happened. You may need to provide proof of purchase. I did not
have to. They will charge you $35.00 or so and will send you a new disc with
a new key.

HTH

"Keith Belhumeur" <KeithBelhumeur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D FAB83C7-D258-43E0-AEB9-15B63E19B8CA@microsoft.com...
> I reformated my son's computer from the windows XP CD. While reloading the
> program asked for the CD key code. Guess what, can't find it. The program
was
> not installed with the computer, we bought the components and buildt it
and
> laoded the XP OS after we built it. How can I get a new key or the one
used
> in the beginning? I did not know I needed to retreive it prior to
reformating
> HD. someone help?
> --
> Keith B
> Tucson Az
August 15, 2005 3:21:02 AM

haha, listen to that MVP guy rattle off about buying a whole new copy. What
is he? Working for MS?

Forget that guy. There are other methods for obtaining a CD key. 'I have a
friend' who uses his next door neighbors key. Any key is fine, just make sure
the versions match (ie Home vs Professional). Its all the same and 'he' can
use XP just a person who dished out the $200 or whatever they are charging
now.

Maybe if your lucky, you can find the original key on your case. Most brand
name manufacturers such as Dell and Gateway do that now.

This shouldnt be seen as a threat to MS, but hopefully more of an awakening.
If you really want to have authorized distribution of software, your going to
have to come up with something better than that. I shouldnt be the first one
to break this to you MS, but what my friend does, it happens all the time.
--
To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.

"TeVan" wrote:

> Call Microsoft Replacement Parts (Sorry, don't have the number here).
> Explain what happened. You may need to provide proof of purchase. I did not
> have to. They will charge you $35.00 or so and will send you a new disc with
> a new key.
>
> HTH
>

> "Keith Belhumeur" <KeithBelhumeur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D FAB83C7-D258-43E0-AEB9-15B63E19B8CA@microsoft.com...
> > I reformated my son's computer from the windows XP CD. While reloading the
> > program asked for the CD key code. Guess what, can't find it. The program
> was
> > not installed with the computer, we bought the components and buildt it
> and
> > laoded the XP OS after we built it. How can I get a new key or the one
> used
> > in the beginning? I did not know I needed to retreive it prior to
> reformating
> > HD. someone help?
> > --
> > Keith B
> > Tucson Az

August 15, 2005 3:26:42 AM

Borrow a key for the install then call the 800# for activation once done and
explain. Good luck!

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> "Keith Belhumeur" wrote:
>
>> I reformated my son's computer from the windows XP CD. While reloading
>> the
>> program asked for the CD key code. Guess what, can't find it. The program
>> was
>> not installed with the computer, we bought the components and buildt it
>> and
>> laoded the XP OS after we built it. How can I get a new key or the one
>> used
>> in the beginning? I did not know I needed to retreive it prior to
>> reformating
>> HD. someone help?
>> --
>> Keith B
>> Tucson Az
August 15, 2005 5:34:47 AM

>Any key is fine, just make sure the versions match (ie Home vs
>Professional). Its all the same and >'he' can use XP just a person who
>dished out the $200 or whatever they are charging now.

No, it isn't the same, Tim. The system will still need to be activated
after the install.

--

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> haha, listen to that MVP guy rattle off about buying a whole new copy.
> What
> is he? Working for MS?
>
> Forget that guy. There are other methods for obtaining a CD key. 'I have a
> friend' who uses his next door neighbors key. Any key is fine, just make
> sure
> the versions match (ie Home vs Professional). Its all the same and 'he'
> can
> use XP just a person who dished out the $200 or whatever they are charging
> now.
>
> Maybe if your lucky, you can find the original key on your case. Most
> brand
> name manufacturers such as Dell and Gateway do that now.
>
> This shouldnt be seen as a threat to MS, but hopefully more of an
> awakening.
> If you really want to have authorized distribution of software, your going
> have to come up with something better than that. I shouldnt be the first
> one
> to break this to you MS, but what my friend does, it happens all the time.
> --
> To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.
>

> "TeVan" wrote:
>
>> Call Microsoft Replacement Parts (Sorry, don't have the number here).
>> Explain what happened. You may need to provide proof of purchase. I did
>> not
>> have to. They will charge you $35.00 or so and will send you a new disc
>> with
>> a new key.
>>
>> HTH
>>

>> "Keith Belhumeur" <KeithBelhumeur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:D FAB83C7-D258-43E0-AEB9-15B63E19B8CA@microsoft.com...
>> > I reformated my son's computer from the windows XP CD. While reloading
>> > the
>> > program asked for the CD key code. Guess what, can't find it. The
>> > program
>> was
>> > not installed with the computer, we bought the components and buildt it
>> and
>> > laoded the XP OS after we built it. How can I get a new key or the one
>> used
>> > in the beginning? I did not know I needed to retreive it prior to
>> reformating
>> > HD. someone help?
>> > --
>> > Keith B
>> > Tucson Az

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:23:06 AM

I had bought two dell computers in past year upgraded the cases so now i have
2 legal copies of windowsxp i have copies of the keys that i copied from the
case and when i try to activate them after reinstalling on exactly same
hardware in new cases they wont activate ;-( And dont say u need to buy new
copies because if thats the case ill go over to linux and be done with it,
any suggestions
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:57:14 AM

If you are unable to activate via the internet, then select the option
to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"i_jmcd" wrote:

| I had bought two dell computers in past year upgraded the cases so now i have
| 2 legal copies of windowsxp i have copies of the keys that i copied from the
| case and when i try to activate them after reinstalling on exactly same
| hardware in new cases they wont activate ;-( And dont say u need to buy new
| copies because if thats the case ill go over to linux and be done with it,
| any suggestions
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:03:07 PM

In article <DFAB83C7-D258-43E0-AEB9-15B63E19B8CA@microsoft.com>,
KeithBelhumeur@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I reformated my son's computer from the windows XP CD. While reloading the
> program asked for the CD key code. Guess what, can't find it. The program was
> not installed with the computer, we bought the components and buildt it and
> laoded the XP OS after we built it. How can I get a new key or the one used
> in the beginning? I did not know I needed to retreive it prior to reformating
> HD. someone help?

The CD key was with the Disk you installed from. If it was not on the
packaging, then it's stuck on the side of the case (or bottom if a
laptop).

If you didn't get a legit copy of XP, it won't have a key, and that
means you need to purchase one.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

nothing hardware wise has changed apart from case and psu i chenged the cases
simply cos i may at some point want to add extra drives and the dell cases
were desktop cases . And yes i could activate by phone but dont have the
sticker that was on side of the cases Yes i was stupid and got rid of the
cases could not remove sticker either cos if you try to remove it from the
case it destroys it and would they not ask me for the barcode on said sticker
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:07:48 PM

In article <686DBBB3-1A83-464E-B983-E905EFE600EE@microsoft.com>,
i_jmcd@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I had bought two dell computers in past year upgraded the cases so now i have
> 2 legal copies of windowsxp i have copies of the keys that i copied from the
> case and when i try to activate them after reinstalling on exactly same
> hardware in new cases they wont activate ;-( And dont say u need to buy new
> copies because if thats the case ill go over to linux and be done with it,
> any suggestions

It's not clear from your post, but changing a case means nothing to the
computer or the software. Upgrading to a NEW system, which also doesn't
mean a new case always, would require reactivation many times.

If you mean that you upgraded your Dell computer with new parts, then
yes, sometimes it requires a reactivation. Since Dell ships OEM, and
sometimes they are locked to the BIOS on the motherboard (sometimes),
your installation is only valid when installed on the Dell motherboard.

Technically, you can not move an OEM (which is what Dell is) to another
computer/motherboard, unless the replacement motherboard was installed
because the original motherboard was defective - and then you need to
have Dell provide the key to reinstall it for you.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:48:54 PM

Visit http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and download the free
Belarc Advisor. After running the program, look under the section
titled "Software Licenses".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"i_jmcd" wrote:

| nothing hardware wise has changed apart from case and psu i chenged the cases
| simply cos i may at some point want to add extra drives and the dell cases
| were desktop cases . And yes i could activate by phone but dont have the
| sticker that was on side of the cases Yes i was stupid and got rid of the
| cases could not remove sticker either cos if you try to remove it from the
| case it destroys it and would they not ask me for the barcode on said sticker
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:44:55 PM

Keith Belhumeur wrote:
> I reformated my son's computer from the windows XP CD. While reloading the
> program asked for the CD key code. Guess what, can't find it. The program was
> not installed with the computer, we bought the components and buildt it and
> laoded the XP OS after we built it. How can I get a new key or the one used
> in the beginning? I did not know I needed to retreive it prior to reformating
> HD. someone help?

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 2:42:02 AM

i allready have the serial numbers salvaged from the cases before i disposed
of them whet is this program going to do , Ive reinstalled both computers but
they wont activate over the internet. Yes i can chosse activate by telephone
but wont they need the additional info that would be on the sticker on the
case

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Visit http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and download the free
> Belarc Advisor. After running the program, look under the section
> titled "Software Licenses".
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "i_jmcd" wrote:
>
> | nothing hardware wise has changed apart from case and psu i chenged the cases
> | simply cos i may at some point want to add extra drives and the dell cases
> | were desktop cases . And yes i could activate by phone but dont have the
> | sticker that was on side of the cases Yes i was stupid and got rid of the
> | cases could not remove sticker either cos if you try to remove it from the
> | case it destroys it and would they not ask me for the barcode on said sticker

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 4:26:11 AM

When you activate by phone, they seldom ask for more than the numbers
displayed on the activate by phone screen.

--
For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
"i_jmcd" <ijmcd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i allready have the serial numbers salvaged from the cases before i
>disposed
> of them whet is this program going to do , Ive reinstalled both computers
> but
> they wont activate over the internet. Yes i can chosse activate by
> telephone
> but wont they need the additional info that would be on the sticker on the
> case
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Visit http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and download the free
>> Belarc Advisor. After running the program, look under the section
>> titled "Software Licenses".
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "i_jmcd" wrote:
>>
>> | nothing hardware wise has changed apart from case and psu i chenged the
>> cases
>> | simply cos i may at some point want to add extra drives and the dell
>> cases
>> | were desktop cases . And yes i could activate by phone but dont have
>> the
>> | sticker that was on side of the cases Yes i was stupid and got rid of
>> the
>> | cases could not remove sticker either cos if you try to remove it from
>> the
>> | case it destroys it and would they not ask me for the barcode on said
>> sticker

Anonymous
August 19, 2005 5:39:33 PM

Geeeezzzz dude! No need to be insulting. I'm not an MVP and I don't work for
MS.
I was just offering a solution that has worked for me. In fact, I've gotten
3 replacements from MS.

NT4 Workstation (factory defect) replaced at no charge.
XP Pro Upgrade (stolen by ex employee) $35.00
Windows 2003 Enterprise Server (all scratched to hell) $35.00
Actually, somehow, I ended up getting 2 copies of server for that price.

All in all, it looks like a killer deal to me.
And, unlike your 'neighbor solution', mine's legal.

So what's your problem?
ExLax a little slow to kick in today?

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> haha, listen to that MVP guy rattle off about buying a whole new copy.
What
> is he? Working for MS?
>
> Forget that guy. There are other methods for obtaining a CD key. 'I have a
> friend' who uses his next door neighbors key. Any key is fine, just make
sure
> the versions match (ie Home vs Professional). Its all the same and 'he'
can
> use XP just a person who dished out the $200 or whatever they are charging
> now.
>
> Maybe if your lucky, you can find the original key on your case. Most
brand
> name manufacturers such as Dell and Gateway do that now.
>
> This shouldnt be seen as a threat to MS, but hopefully more of an
awakening.
> If you really want to have authorized distribution of software, your going
> have to come up with something better than that. I shouldnt be the first
one
> to break this to you MS, but what my friend does, it happens all the time.
> --
> To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer.
>

> "TeVan" wrote:
>
> > Call Microsoft Replacement Parts (Sorry, don't have the number here).
> > Explain what happened. You may need to provide proof of purchase. I did
not
> > have to. They will charge you $35.00 or so and will send you a new disc
with
> > a new key.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> > "Keith Belhumeur" <KeithBelhumeur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:D FAB83C7-D258-43E0-AEB9-15B63E19B8CA@microsoft.com...
> > > I reformated my son's computer from the windows XP CD. While reloading
the
> > > program asked for the CD key code. Guess what, can't find it. The
program
> > was
> > > not installed with the computer, we bought the components and buildt
it
> > and
> > > laoded the XP OS after we built it. How can I get a new key or the one
> > used
> > > in the beginning? I did not know I needed to retreive it prior to
> > reformating
> > > HD. someone help?
> > > --
> > > Keith B
> > > Tucson Az

March 4, 2009 11:05:32 PM

Quote:

I had bought two dell computers in past year upgraded the cases so now i have
2 legal copies of windowsxp i have copies of the keys that i copied from the
case and when i try to activate them after reinstalling on exactly same
hardware in new cases they wont activate ;-( And dont say u need to buy new
copies because if thats the case ill go over to linux and be done with it,
any suggestions

YEah all i deal with is, dell's. sometimes i get other brands, but mostly dell.. there so easy. i used to have like 4 dells. and i used the same CD every time. NEVer one time did i ever been asked for a cd key.. for some reason the cd i have that my little brother got from our home town school, dont never ask for them. its windows xp pro.. if u Email me, ill give u my numbber and we could find someway of getting u that copy.. AS LONG AS THE MOTHERBOARDS ON THOSE COMEPUTERS ARE DELL.. jj93257@yahoo.com
!