IE error

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Hello

I'm trying to fix a friend pc. Cleaned it up with adaware and spybot.
Checked for viruses. We still get a error when we dial out while in IE 6.0
saying that ie has caused and error in <unknown>. Netscape does the same
thing. I reinstall both. I even did a reinstall on top of the current ME
and deleted all of the network drivers and reinstalled them from scratch.

All other programs seem to be working fine. Any ideas

Thanks
Barry

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

IE errors in ,unknown are frequently caused by malware....

You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
viruses are not present on your PC
http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

- update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
CoolWebSearch hijacker.

Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
(download it without the accompanying rubbish)

download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
your system.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to fix a friend pc. Cleaned it up with adaware and spybot.
> Checked for viruses. We still get a error when we dial out while in IE 6.0
> saying that ie has caused and error in <unknown>. Netscape does the same
> thing. I reinstall both. I even did a reinstall on top of the current
> ME and deleted all of the network drivers and reinstalled them from
> scratch.
>
> All other programs seem to be working fine. Any ideas
>

> Thanks
> Barry

Tim

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

You forgot Microsoft Spyware remover (Giant) is pretty good.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
> IE errors in ,unknown are frequently caused by malware....
>
> You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
>
> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
> viruses are not present on your PC
> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
>
> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
>
> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
>
> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
>
> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
> your system.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> "Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm trying to fix a friend pc. Cleaned it up with adaware and spybot.
>> Checked for viruses. We still get a error when we dial out while in IE
>> 6.0 saying that ie has caused and error in <unknown>. Netscape does the
>> same thing. I reinstall both. I even did a reinstall on top of the
>> current ME and deleted all of the network drivers and reinstalled them
>> from scratch.
>>
>> All other programs seem to be working fine. Any ideas
>>

>> Thanks
>> Barry

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

No - I didn't forget.
I don't EVER recommend Beta software in newsgroups - people have enough
problems without having to deal with possibly buggy applications

I agree with you, MSAS is right up there with the best - but it's still
Beta, and as such is best steered clear of, unless you're prepared to
reformat the system your using it on if it all goes pear-shaped.

--

"Tim" <nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
> You forgot Microsoft Spyware remover (Giant) is pretty good.

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

One thing we both forgot , though - MSAS only runs in Win2K and WinXP!!

--

> No - I didn't forget.
> I don't EVER recommend Beta software in newsgroups - people have enough
> problems without having to deal with possibly buggy applications
>
> I agree with you, MSAS is right up there with the best - but it's still
> Beta, and as such is best steered clear of, unless you're prepared to
> reformat the system your using it on if it all goes pear-shaped.
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> "Tim" <nospam@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> You forgot Microsoft Spyware remover (Giant) is pretty good.

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Here is what I ran

Stinger
Adaware
Spybot
regclean
Norton AV

Still having problems. I unistalled and reinstalled the network. This pc
only has a modem and anything that I run that uses a dialup tcpip connection
blows up once i am connected

Any ideas?

Thanks again for all the help

Barry .
> IE errors in ,unknown are frequently caused by malware....
>
> You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
>
> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
> viruses are not present on your PC
> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
>
> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
>
> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
>
> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
>
> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
> your system.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> "Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm trying to fix a friend pc. Cleaned it up with adaware and spybot.
>> Checked for viruses. We still get a error when we dial out while in IE
>> 6.0 saying that ie has caused and error in <unknown>. Netscape does the
>> same thing. I reinstall both. I even did a reinstall on top of the
>> current ME and deleted all of the network drivers and reinstalled them
>> from scratch.
>>
>> All other programs seem to be working fine. Any ideas
>>

>> Thanks
>> Barry

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

And of course cwshredder which did not find anything

> Here is what I ran
>
> Stinger
> Adaware
> Spybot
> regclean
> Norton AV
>
> Still having problems. I unistalled and reinstalled the network. This
> pc only has a modem and anything that I run that uses a dialup tcpip
> connection blows up once i am connected
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks again for all the help
>
> Barry .
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> IE errors in ,unknown are frequently caused by malware....
>>
>> You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
>>
>> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
>> viruses are not present on your PC
>> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
>>
>> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
>>
>> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
>> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
>> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
>>
>> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
>> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
>> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
>>
>> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
>> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
>> your system.
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
>> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I'm trying to fix a friend pc. Cleaned it up with adaware and spybot.
>>> Checked for viruses. We still get a error when we dial out while in IE
>>> 6.0 saying that ie has caused and error in <unknown>. Netscape does the
>>> same thing. I reinstall both. I even did a reinstall on top of the
>>> current ME and deleted all of the network drivers and reinstalled them
>>> from scratch.
>>>
>>> All other programs seem to be working fine. Any ideas
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Barry

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

If you have access to a working computer, download "Winsockfix"

Jack

> And of course cwshredder which did not find anything
>

> "Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Here is what I ran
>>
>> Stinger
>> Adaware
>> Spybot
>> regclean
>> Norton AV
>>
>> Still having problems. I unistalled and reinstalled the network. This
>> pc only has a modem and anything that I run that uses a dialup tcpip
>> connection blows up once i am connected
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks again for all the help
>>
>> Barry .
>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>> IE errors in ,unknown are frequently caused by malware....
>>>
>>> You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
>>>
>>> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that
>>> A-V-disabling
>>> viruses are not present on your PC
>>> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
>>>
>>> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
>>>
>>> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
>>> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
>>> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
>>>
>>> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
>>> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
>>> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
>>>
>>> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
>>> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties
>>> from your system.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>>
>>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>>
>>> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
>>> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
>>>
>>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
>>> NG's
>>>
>>> "Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Barry, I use and highly recommend CounterSpy as a spyware/adware
eliminator. You can download a fully functional trial version (for 15 days)
from: www.sunbelt-software.com Ken
"Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to fix a friend pc. Cleaned it up with adaware and spybot.
> Checked for viruses. We still get a error when we dial out while in IE 6.0
> saying that ie has caused and error in <unknown>. Netscape does the same
> thing. I reinstall both. I even did a reinstall on top of the current
> ME and deleted all of the network drivers and reinstalled them from
> scratch.
>
> All other programs seem to be working fine. Any ideas
>

> Thanks
> Barry

jad

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Adaware se by lavasoft is one of the best out there and its FREE

"Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to fix a friend pc. Cleaned it up with adaware and spybot.
> Checked for viruses. We still get a error when we dial out while in IE 6.0
> saying that ie has caused and error in <unknown>. Netscape does the same
> thing. I reinstall both. I even did a reinstall on top of the current
ME
> and deleted all of the network drivers and reinstalled them from scratch.
>
> All other programs seem to be working fine. Any ideas
>

> Thanks
> Barry

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Barry
I've just realised that you said that you'd reinstalled ME over itself.
This may well be the cause of your later problems, depending on how you did
it.

If you reinstalled ME from the CD - you are in trouble, with 'Version soup'
in IE
If you reinstalled ME from the HD CAB files, then you *may* have got away
with it - it's not a scenario that I've tested in any detail.

To correct the 'Version Soup' problem, there's only one known route -
completely removing IE, and then reinstalling the preferred version.
Instructions for this are here
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/ReInIE.htm

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
> And of course cwshredder which did not find anything
>

> "Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
>> Here is what I ran
>>
>> Stinger
>> Adaware
>> Spybot
>> regclean
>> Norton AV
>>
>> Still having problems. I unistalled and reinstalled the network. This
>> pc only has a modem and anything that I run that uses a dialup tcpip
>> connection blows up once i am connected
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks again for all the help
>>
>> Barry .
>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>> IE errors in ,unknown are frequently caused by malware....
>>>
>>> You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
>>>
>>> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that
>>> A-V-disabling
>>> viruses are not present on your PC
>>> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
>>>
>>> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
>>>
>>> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
>>> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
>>> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
>>>
>>> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
>>> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
>>> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
>>>
>>> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
>>> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties
>>> from your system.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>>
>>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>>
>>> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
>>> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
>>>
>>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
>>> NG's
>>>
>>> "Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:20:18 -0500, in <alt.privacy.spyware> and
<alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000> and <alt.windows-me>, "Barry Shapiro"
<BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to fix a friend pc.
[snip]

You are not providing nearly enough information to enable any specific
"solutions".

For starters, what was the original problem that you were attempting to "fix"?

> Cleaned it up with adaware and spybot.
[snip]

Which found what, exactly?

> Checked for viruses.
[snip]

Which found what, exactly?

> We still get a error when we dial out while in IE 6.0
> saying that ie has caused and error in <unknown>.

Using MSIE is an engraved invitation to disaster.

Beyond that, the error message *surely* offered more specific information than
you posted above.

> Netscape does the same
> thing.
[snip]

*Precisely* the same error message?

What about when you attempt to establish a dial-up connection directly from
the DUN applet?

> I reinstall both.
[snip]

Why? Did you have any specific reason to believe that the existing
installations were damaged?

> I even did a reinstall on top of the current ME
> and deleted all of the network drivers and reinstalled them from scratch.

[snip]

Why? Did you have any specific reason to believe that the existing
installations were damaged?

You seem to be shooting arrows in the dark.

> All other programs seem to be working fine. Any ideas

[snip]

When all else fails, read the instructions?

More seriously, it is pretty clear that the system configuration is now FUBAR,
even if it wasn't so before you started mucking around with it. While it
*may* still be possible to "fix" the system in situ if we knew what was really
wrong with it, at this point it is very likely that your best bet is to simply
wipe the disk and restore the system from a known-good backup that predates
the inception of the trouble. You *do* have a known-good backup that predates
the inception of the trouble, right?

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------

-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law. Violators are subject to prosecution.

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 22:36:37 -0800, in <alt.privacy.spyware> and
<alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000> and <alt.windows-me>, "Ken"
<mnkwms@comcast.net> rudely top-posted:

> Barry, I use and highly recommend CounterSpy as a spyware/adware
> eliminator.
[snip]

"CounterSpy" is yet another title from the same spamming morons who foisted
PestPatrol on the world:

<http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=9ftp43$3g8$0@216.39.174.41&rnum=1&prev=/groups?selm=9ftp43$3g8%240@216.39.174.41>

Hence, it is already established that they are thieves, and their products are
by definition worthless.

Please do not use, support or recommend it.

--

Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------
Appropriate Technology, Inc.
usenet02[at]appropriate-tech.net

-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this domain is expressly prohibited under
47 USC S227 and State Law. Violators are subject to prosecution.

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,alt.windows-me (More info?)

Thanks all, Running winsockfix did it.

Barry
"Jack" <donk502@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you have access to a working computer, download "Winsockfix"
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html
>
> Jack
>
> "Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
>> And of course cwshredder which did not find anything
>>

>> "Barry Shapiro" <BarryShapiro@acomcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Here is what I ran
>>>
>>> Stinger
>>> Adaware