NTLDR is missing while booting XP Pro from second HDD

August 15, 2005 1:53:01 AM

Hi,
in my computer i had running two two OS C: Windows 2000 and D: Windows XP.
And due to some bad sector in C partition my C partition was dead. So now
when i boot my XP SP2 it takes very long to boot and was very slow.
So i decieded to buy new hard drive and installed new hard drive as Master
Windows Xp Pro SP2. Now my new hard drive works fine. But now when i try to
boot through my old hard drive's Xp it gives me this error message saying
"NTLDR is missing please press any key to continue" I don't know what is
wrong, what to do.
Pls help
Regards
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:16:54 AM

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|>Hi,
|>in my computer i had running two two OS C: Windows 2000 and D: Windows XP.
|>And due to some bad sector in C partition my C partition was dead. So now
|>when i boot my XP SP2 it takes very long to boot and was very slow.
|>So i decieded to buy new hard drive and installed new hard drive as Master
|>Windows Xp Pro SP2. Now my new hard drive works fine. But now when i try to
|>boot through my old hard drive's Xp it gives me this error message saying
|>"NTLDR is missing please press any key to continue" I don't know what is
|>wrong, what to do.
|>Pls help
|>Regards

boot up with your XP CD and run a repair - select FIXBOOT
--

Elegant Universe from NOVA
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

Check the Boot.ini

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> in my computer i had running two two OS C: Windows 2000 and D: Windows XP.
> And due to some bad sector in C partition my C partition was dead. So now
> when i boot my XP SP2 it takes very long to boot and was very slow.
> So i decieded to buy new hard drive and installed new hard drive as Master
> Windows Xp Pro SP2. Now my new hard drive works fine. But now when i try
> boot through my old hard drive's Xp it gives me this error message saying
> "NTLDR is missing please press any key to continue" I don't know what is
> wrong, what to do.
> Pls help
> Regards
Related resources
August 15, 2005 6:35:03 AM

Please follow the article:

http://win-xp-sp.blogspot.com/2005/08/ntldr-is-missing....

Raj

"Jatinder" wrote:

> Hi,
> in my computer i had running two two OS C: Windows 2000 and D: Windows XP.
> And due to some bad sector in C partition my C partition was dead. So now
> when i boot my XP SP2 it takes very long to boot and was very slow.
> So i decieded to buy new hard drive and installed new hard drive as Master
> Windows Xp Pro SP2. Now my new hard drive works fine. But now when i try to
> boot through my old hard drive's Xp it gives me this error message saying
> "NTLDR is missing please press any key to continue" I don't know what is
> wrong, what to do.
> Pls help
> Regards
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:57:24 AM

Hi,

It happens because ntldr was on C:, and now it's missing. You can copy it to
whatever is now the system (active) drive from the I386 folder on the disk,
copy ntdetect.com as well. Then boot the CD and run fixboot <drive>: from
the Recovery Console.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> in my computer i had running two two OS C: Windows 2000 and D: Windows XP.
> And due to some bad sector in C partition my C partition was dead. So now
> when i boot my XP SP2 it takes very long to boot and was very slow.
> So i decieded to buy new hard drive and installed new hard drive as Master
> Windows Xp Pro SP2. Now my new hard drive works fine. But now when i try
> boot through my old hard drive's Xp it gives me this error message saying
> "NTLDR is missing please press any key to continue" I don't know what is
> wrong, what to do.
> Pls help
> Regards
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:23:43 AM

Peter

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AAE49B5-8FD8-4F77-BDDE-E093AF4C0BE3@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> in my computer i had running two two OS C: Windows 2000 and D: Windows XP.
> And due to some bad sector in C partition my C partition was dead. So now
> when i boot my XP SP2 it takes very long to boot and was very slow.
> So i decieded to buy new hard drive and installed new hard drive as Master
> Windows Xp Pro SP2. Now my new hard drive works fine. But now when i try to
> boot through my old hard drive's Xp it gives me this error message saying
> "NTLDR is missing please press any key to continue" I don't know what is
> wrong, what to do.
> Pls help
> Regards
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:09:02 PM

Hi,
thank u all ppl. Now at boot up in gives me the option to select XP Os of
my new hardrive and my old harddrive.
when i select old hard drive(The one i'm having problem) now it takes me to
the balck windows XP screen, then it ask me to enter password for my user
name. Since i've no password i just hit enter, and it looks like going to my
desktop but it shows small msg at the bottom of the loging window "Loging
off" and it takes me back again to the logging window, it's different window
like windows 2000. So i tried to enter all passwords but it won't take me to
the desktop.
What to do now guys?

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:58:51 AM

Hi,

Either the installation is damaged (necessitating a repair installation, see
below), or there is a problem with msgina.dll. It could also be that you
recently cleaned out some spyware and it damaged the registry. For the
latter, see:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Blazefind

If you hit F8 immediately after selecting the installation and get the boot
menu, are you able to logon in Safe mode? If so, then you have a problem
with a startup entry and can troubleshoot using the steps here:

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP [Q310560]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

Otherwise:
Repair installation steps:

> Hi,
> thank u all ppl. Now at boot up in gives me the option to select XP Os of
> my new hardrive and my old harddrive.
> when i select old hard drive(The one i'm having problem) now it takes me
> the balck windows XP screen, then it ask me to enter password for my user
> name. Since i've no password i just hit enter, and it looks like going to
> my
> desktop but it shows small msg at the bottom of the loging window "Loging
> off" and it takes me back again to the logging window, it's different
> window
> like windows 2000. So i tried to enter all passwords but it won't take me
> the desktop.
> What to do now guys?

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:24:02 PM

Hi Rick
I tried every think so at last i reinstalled my operating system on my old
OS.
on my old hard drive and on my new hard drive as well.
On my old drive i had trouble logging into the desktop, thats why i finally
reinstalled XP Pro on my old XP Pro.
The reason i reinstalled my XP Pro Operating system on my new hard drive coz
i was unable to open the properties of my desktop, my computer, my network,
IE, and i was also unable to set the time of my system. And i tried every
thing to fix this probelm like SFC-Scannow, Expand, all run all spyware,
adware and norton virus, but they were all useless. So finaly i reinstalled
my OS on both harddrive.
But during reinstallation process, it ask me that it can not find one file
belong to my video card something ATI.sys and ask me install from the CD,
since i have no CD i said skip this file so it gave me msg "If u continue
your migh have some problem in runing your computer" but i continue coz i had
no chioce. When after i finished reinstalling my OS and reboot my computer,
it show me screen of my OS between Red Hat (this is what i'm using right now)
and XP Pro. When i select Xp Pro it takes me to this blue screen message on
both XP OS saying
-windows stop this process preventing damage to your hardware-
-Please remove newly installed hardware, check for virus in your computer.
run chkdsk/f once and reboot your computer-
*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF7C7A640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)
Then i reboot and run CHKDSK and try to reboot in SAFE MODE but still same
Message.
what should i do now. pls help.
Thanx

!