Do I have to notifiy Microsoft of a Lisence transfer ?

Hi all :)

A friend of my Dad's has bought a boxed Windows XP from someone privately
selling.

Do we need to notify Microsoft of the transfer ? Or can we just install as
we have the genuine Product Key etc, I know Activation may be a problem.
But is there anything we need to do ?

Many Thanks.

Karl.
3 answers Last reply
More about notifiy microsoft lisence transfer

    In news:E443B8B6-BAFC-42C7-8213-B66E9BFE002A@microsoft.com,
    Karl Oldman <Karl Oldman@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hi all :)
    >
    > A friend of my Dad's has bought a boxed Windows XP from someone
    > privately selling.
    >
    > Do we need to notify Microsoft of the transfer ? Or can we just
    > install as we have the genuine Product Key etc, I know Activation
    > may be a problem. But is there anything we need to do ?
    >
    > Many Thanks.
    >
    > Karl.

    Nope. Activation should not be an issue either actually. If worse comes to
    worse and you know the seller has completely removed it from their systems
    then you can call and activate without much of a problem at all.

    Galen
    --

    "Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
    its solution is its own reward."

    Sherlock Holmes

    All you need to do is install Windows XP and activate it
    when prompted to do so.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Karl Oldman wrote:
    > Hi all :)
    >
    > A friend of my Dad's has bought a boxed Windows XP from someone
    > privately selling.
    >
    > Do we need to notify Microsoft of the transfer ? Or can we just
    > install as we have the genuine Product Key etc, I know Activation
    > may be a problem. But is there anything we need to do ?
    >
    > Many Thanks.
    >
    > Karl.

    Don't give Big Brother any idea's.

    --