Gateway 933c Essential PC

Sterling

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Bought one of these for my daughter for college 4 years ago. She's
now out and I am upgrading the operating system to XP Pro. While
doing so, I have noticed a screen wriggle pattern (sorry no better
term comes to mind) that resembles grain on a wooden board. This
occurs when the hard drive is reading or writing and when the mouse
is moved. It is bad on 1024x768 but higher and lower resolutions
dramatically reduce even almost eliminate the wriggling pattern. The
monitor is a Gateway 19 inch CRT monitor. This has occured both with
the Windows ME and Windows XP operating systems, the latter now
installed.

I know there is no separate video card on this system. It has 192Mb
RAM and I understand the video chip is using system RAM. I had hoped
upgrade to XP would solve this problem but it has not. Any similar
expericnes and/or solutions anyone can share would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sterling

1. Try changing the resfresh rate for the monitor. IIRC, the Gateway 19"
monitor should handle 85Hz easily, with no shimmer or jitter of image on the
screen.

2. Is it possible that the house current is inadequate for the combined wattage
of monitor and computer?

3. Is there another possible source of electronic interference nearby?

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:13:25 +0000, Sterling403@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(Sterling) wrote:

>Bought one of these for my daughter for college 4 years ago. She's
>now out and I am upgrading the operating system to XP Pro. While
>doing so, I have noticed a screen wriggle pattern (sorry no better
>term comes to mind) that resembles grain on a wooden board. This
>occurs when the hard drive is reading or writing and when the mouse
>is moved. It is bad on 1024x768 but higher and lower resolutions
>dramatically reduce even almost eliminate the wriggling pattern. The
>monitor is a Gateway 19 inch CRT monitor. This has occured both with
>the Windows ME and Windows XP operating systems, the latter now
>installed.
>
>I know there is no separate video card on this system. It has 192Mb
>RAM and I understand the video chip is using system RAM. I had hoped
>upgrade to XP would solve this problem but it has not. Any similar
>expericnes and/or solutions anyone can share would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Sterling

It is failed video on the motherboard. I used to work at a Country Store and
the flex atx board in those machines failed in this way more often than I
could count. They had a lot of problems, the video problem, bad capacitors,
and bad integrated modems were the most common.