Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

My Computer Won't Start

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 7, 2012 7:23:14 PM

My Dell Inspiron E1505 stopped working almost a year ago, but I dug it out and decided to try to fix it. The problem is, I have no clue what is wrong. When I press the power button, the power light turns on and then about 50 seconds later turns off. Nothing else. Here is a video of it happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpk1lvZsFW4

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me solve this problem. The computer ran great until the day it died.

More about : computer start

August 7, 2012 9:05:58 PM

Email me at elementwork88@yahoo.com or you may have gotten a message from me on youtube my youtube user names is SKDC8
Score
0
August 7, 2012 9:21:01 PM

Could be a broken power jack, could be a bad graphics card both of which can be fixed. Have you tried with and without battery installed?
Score
0
Related resources
August 7, 2012 9:35:08 PM

I have tried with and without battery, and it exhibits the same symptoms. The battery is charged, so I don't think a power jack is a likely culprit.

Because the computer has integrated graphics, I don't believe that would be easy to fix. Wouldn't the back light on the screen still come on if that was the case?
Score
0

Best solution

August 8, 2012 4:05:40 AM

I found this thread which may prove to be helpful
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/35...
hope it helps
Share
August 8, 2012 1:05:45 PM

C12Friedman said:
I found this thread which may prove to be helpful
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/35...
hope it helps


Well, if I remember correctly, I tried booting it without any of the memory, hard drive, optical drive, etc, and I got the same symptoms. It seems that the motherboard is a fairly likely culprit. I may just go pull the peripherals (can things like memory be considered peripherals? or did I just misuse the word?) and try again. Someone I've been talking to over Youtube messages thinks it is the power supply.
Score
0
August 8, 2012 2:33:03 PM

I would be suspecting the motherbard also but you might try clearing your CMOS (if you haven't already).
Normally periferals are located outside of the computer, keyboard, printer, mouse, etc... even a monitor in the case of laptops
Score
0
August 9, 2012 12:17:07 AM

C12Friedman said:
I would be suspecting the motherbard also but you might try clearing your CMOS (if you haven't already).
Normally periferals are located outside of the computer, keyboard, printer, mouse, etc... even a monitor in the case of laptops


Unfortunately, I tried clearing the CMOS, but it didn't help.

I had a feeling I was misusing the word "peripherals," but eas too lazy to think of a better word.

Sounds like the computer is basically junk. About how much would a new motherboard be? Probably too much for the repair to be worthwhile.
Score
0
August 9, 2012 12:35:30 AM

A quick search found your mobo for as little as $55 without graphics daughter board, closer to $100 with.
Don't know about repair value, that's really your call
Score
0
August 9, 2012 12:38:02 AM

C12Friedman said:
A quick search found your mobo for as little as $55 without graphics daughter board, closer to $100 with.
Don't know about repair value, that's really your call


What do you mean "without graphics daughter board." My computer has integrated graphics (Intel GMA, I believe), which do you think I'd need?
Score
0
August 9, 2012 12:43:05 AM

Can't say, only reporting what my searches came up with...
Couldn't link the page but used google search with your model number
Score
0
August 9, 2012 6:23:23 AM



Onboard graphics on a laptop aren't the same as they are on a PC mottherboard - they're on what's called a daughter board which is removeable from the motherboard and can be replaced separately. It's worth checking e-Bay or similar sites for a breaking model which has screen damage but still has otherwise working circuitry. As an alternative to an E1505, try looking for a 6400 which is virtually identical.

All that said, I doubt it's just a graphics problem. Do you remember what it actually did when it stopped working a year ago?



Score
0
August 10, 2012 3:21:50 PM

Saga Lout said:


Onboard graphics on a laptop aren't the same as they are on a PC mottherboard - they're on what's called a daughter board which is removeable from the motherboard and can be replaced separately. It's worth checking e-Bay or similar sites for a breaking model which has screen damage but still has otherwise working circuitry. As an alternative to an E1505, try looking for a 6400 which is virtually identical.

All that said, I doubt it's just a graphics problem. Do you remember what it actually did when it stopped working a year ago?




I was using the computer as normal one day, and when I tried to turn it on the next, it just didn't come on.

So, you are saying I could buy the motherboard without the daughter board and use the daughter board I apparently already have? Could this integrated daughter board be replaced with a real graphics card?
Score
0
August 10, 2012 3:23:29 PM

C12Friedman said:
Can't say, only reporting what my searches came up with...
Couldn't link the page but used google search with your model number


Thank you for all the help you have provided.
Score
0
August 10, 2012 6:58:15 PM

PatrickAupperle said:

So, you are saying I could buy the motherboard without the daughter board and use the daughter board I apparently already have? Could this integrated daughter board be replaced with a real graphics card?




Other way around if you suspect the graphics. Buy a new graphics daughterboard and take your existing one off the motherboard and replace it. It's a risky strategy without proof positive that the graphics are the fault though. It the laptop displays properly to an external monitor there's nothing wrong with the graphics adapter - if it doesn't, that's the fault.



Score
0
August 10, 2012 7:51:51 PM

Saga Lout said:


Other way around if you suspect the graphics. Buy a new graphics daughterboard and take your existing one off the motherboard and replace it. It's a risky strategy without proof positive that the graphics are the fault though. It the laptop displays properly to an external monitor there's nothing wrong with the graphics adapter - if it doesn't, that's the fault.



So, your saying that because the laptop won't display to any screen, graphics are at fault? Seems a tough call. The computer never seems to really come on at all. I guess maybe I'll see about getting a graphics daughterboard or broken inspiron 6400/e1505.
Score
0
August 17, 2012 12:13:02 PM

Best answer selected by PatrickAupperle.
Score
0
August 17, 2012 2:34:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
0
!