Closed Solved

My Computer Won't Start

My Dell Inspiron E1505 stopped working almost a year ago, but I dug it out and decided to try to fix it. The problem is, I have no clue what is wrong. When I press the power button, the power light turns on and then about 50 seconds later turns off. Nothing else. Here is a video of it happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpk1lvZsFW4

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me solve this problem. The computer ran great until the day it died.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer start
  1. Email me at elementwork88@yahoo.com or you may have gotten a message from me on youtube my youtube user names is SKDC8
  2. Could be a broken power jack, could be a bad graphics card both of which can be fixed. Have you tried with and without battery installed?
  3. I have tried with and without battery, and it exhibits the same symptoms. The battery is charged, so I don't think a power jack is a likely culprit.

Because the computer has integrated graphics, I don't believe that would be easy to fix. Wouldn't the back light on the screen still come on if that was the case?
  4. Best answer
    I found this thread which may prove to be helpful
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19438304/20059627.aspx
    hope it helps
  5. C12Friedman said:
    I found this thread which may prove to be helpful
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19438304/20059627.aspx
    hope it helps

Well, if I remember correctly, I tried booting it without any of the memory, hard drive, optical drive, etc, and I got the same symptoms. It seems that the motherboard is a fairly likely culprit. I may just go pull the peripherals (can things like memory be considered peripherals? or did I just misuse the word?) and try again. Someone I've been talking to over Youtube messages thinks it is the power supply.
  6. I would be suspecting the motherbard also but you might try clearing your CMOS (if you haven't already).
    Normally periferals are located outside of the computer, keyboard, printer, mouse, etc... even a monitor in the case of laptops
  7. C12Friedman said:
    I would be suspecting the motherbard also but you might try clearing your CMOS (if you haven't already).
    Normally periferals are located outside of the computer, keyboard, printer, mouse, etc... even a monitor in the case of laptops

Unfortunately, I tried clearing the CMOS, but it didn't help.

I had a feeling I was misusing the word "peripherals," but eas too lazy to think of a better word.

Sounds like the computer is basically junk. About how much would a new motherboard be? Probably too much for the repair to be worthwhile.
  8. A quick search found your mobo for as little as $55 without graphics daughter board, closer to $100 with.
    Don't know about repair value, that's really your call
  9. C12Friedman said:
    A quick search found your mobo for as little as $55 without graphics daughter board, closer to $100 with.
    Don't know about repair value, that's really your call

What do you mean "without graphics daughter board." My computer has integrated graphics (Intel GMA, I believe), which do you think I'd need?
  10. Can't say, only reporting what my searches came up with...
    Couldn't link the page but used google search with your model number

11. Onboard graphics on a laptop aren't the same as they are on a PC mottherboard - they're on what's called a daughter board which is removeable from the motherboard and can be replaced separately. It's worth checking e-Bay or similar sites for a breaking model which has screen damage but still has otherwise working circuitry. As an alternative to an E1505, try looking for a 6400 which is virtually identical.

All that said, I doubt it's just a graphics problem. Do you remember what it actually did when it stopped working a year ago?

12. Onboard graphics on a laptop aren't the same as they are on a PC mottherboard - they're on what's called a daughter board which is removeable from the motherboard and can be replaced separately. It's worth checking e-Bay or similar sites for a breaking model which has screen damage but still has otherwise working circuitry. As an alternative to an E1505, try looking for a 6400 which is virtually identical.

All that said, I doubt it's just a graphics problem. Do you remember what it actually did when it stopped working a year ago?

I was using the computer as normal one day, and when I tried to turn it on the next, it just didn't come on.

So, you are saying I could buy the motherboard without the daughter board and use the daughter board I apparently already have? Could this integrated daughter board be replaced with a real graphics card?
  13. C12Friedman said:
    Can't say, only reporting what my searches came up with...
    Couldn't link the page but used google search with your model number

Thank you for all the help you have provided.
  14. PatrickAupperle said:

So, you are saying I could buy the motherboard without the daughter board and use the daughter board I apparently already have? Could this integrated daughter board be replaced with a real graphics card?

Other way around if you suspect the graphics. Buy a new graphics daughterboard and take your existing one off the motherboard and replace it. It's a risky strategy without proof positive that the graphics are the fault though. It the laptop displays properly to an external monitor there's nothing wrong with the graphics adapter - if it doesn't, that's the fault.

15. Other way around if you suspect the graphics. Buy a new graphics daughterboard and take your existing one off the motherboard and replace it. It's a risky strategy without proof positive that the graphics are the fault though. It the laptop displays properly to an external monitor there's nothing wrong with the graphics adapter - if it doesn't, that's the fault.

So, your saying that because the laptop won't display to any screen, graphics are at fault? Seems a tough call. The computer never seems to really come on at all. I guess maybe I'll see about getting a graphics daughterboard or broken inspiron 6400/e1505.
  16. Best answer selected by PatrickAupperle.
  17. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Dell Inspiron Computer Power Computers