MN 700 - Resets needed often

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hey~
Anyone out there seen similar issues where they have
to "reset" the MN700 often to get internet activity back?

Basically, IP address is assigned but no machine on the
LAN or Wireless can access internet content.

I have the latest firmware -

~Chris

joker

Are you on a PPPoE connection? If so the next time this happens go to
your basestation log. I bet you will find a PADT there.

Chris wrote:

> Hey~
> Anyone out there seen similar issues where they have
> to "reset" the MN700 often to get internet activity back?
>
> Basically, IP address is assigned but no machine on the
> LAN or Wireless can access internet content.
>
> I have the latest firmware -
>
> ~Chris

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Nope...I am direct connect via Cable Modem (Comcast). I
will check the log to see if it adds any helpful info,
but I can't understand why it keeps losing it's
connection.

Thanks though for the suggestion,
~Chris

Check that is not a problem with Internet traffic or the
ISP DNS servers. Run multiple tracert from a Commmand
Prompt to the web site you are trying to reach (e.g.
tracert microsoft.com).

If it's traffic (such as worm generated) you'll see the
hoop-time varying. If it's a DNS problem you'll get host
cannot get resolved. In this case, lookup the IP's of the
DNS servers and ping them.

joker

Well you will only see a PADT on a PPPoE connection. The last 5 entries
in the log usually tell what the problem is though.

Chris wrote:
> Nope...I am direct connect via Cable Modem (Comcast). I
> will check the log to see if it adds any helpful info,
> but I can't understand why it keeps losing it's
> connection.
>
> Thanks though for the suggestion,
> ~Chris

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hey Gang~

I appreciate the responses thus far -

Let me preface that I am very technical and do this for a
living so I know this isn't a ISP or Internet connection
related issue. This problem exists within the firmware
itself.

The reason I am certain of this is that I had a MN-500
previously before I switched it out for the 700. The
500, with latest firmware, never had this issue since the
first couple of weeks I had it (firmware update).

I am certain this is something in the firmware, but I
need someone to tell me how to decipher the device logs
to verify this -

~Chris

joker

Well then
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_concept_log_file.mspx
includes most of the things that appear in the log & exactly what they
mean (with the exception of a bug in the 1.09.* through the 1.11.017
firmware version).

Chris wrote:
> Hey Gang~
>
> I appreciate the responses thus far -
>
> Let me preface that I am very technical and do this for a
> living so I know this isn't a ISP or Internet connection
> related issue. This problem exists within the firmware
> itself.
>
> The reason I am certain of this is that I had a MN-500
> previously before I switched it out for the 700. The
> 500, with latest firmware, never had this issue since the
> first couple of weeks I had it (firmware update).
>
> I am certain this is something in the firmware, but I
> need someone to tell me how to decipher the device logs
> to verify this -
>
> ~Chris

beullar

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2004

Chris..

You are not alone with this issue..I too have the same
problem with the router losing its Internet connection
with both wireless and Ethernet connections. This is an
ongoing issue with numerous people.

beullar

If you are having problems with the MN-700 needing to be reset, please
answer the following questions:

1. What applications are you running on your network, i.e. PTP file sharing,
games, servers, etc
2. Why do you need to reset the MN-700? What is not working? Please be
specific? (ex. local wireless network and Management Tool all operate
normally, but no connection to the Internet works)
3. If the Internet is not working, what type of connection do you have, i.e.
PPPoE, DHCP etc?
4. Have you tried a release and renew on the MN-700?
5. Have you tried resetting your modem?
6. Have you tried pinging the IP address of your DNS server?
7. Have you tried pinging something like www.microsoft.com to verify that
your DNS server is resolving the name to an IP address?
8. Have you noticed any type of activity that precedes the need to reset the
MN-700?

--
Neel Malik
Program Manager