Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I want to build a new laptop - Fast, lightweight, 64bit W7

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 24, 2010 6:32:03 PM

I cannot find the laptop I am looking for on the market. I want to build an ultra-portable [5lbs<]; 13.3 or 14.1 screen; 6-8 gb RAM; long battery life[6hrs+]; OS=Windows 7 - 64bit[I would consider Linux]; Dual core CPU 800Mhz+; enhanced graphics; Wireless n; DVD RW.

Is this doable? If so, what components would you recommend?
January 29, 2010 3:33:09 AM

There are actually a lot of netbooks that have the specs you're looking for, especially in terms of battery life. Though I'm not sure if any of them run on Windows 64-bit. What is your budget anyway?
January 29, 2010 3:34:53 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Homebuilt Systems to section Laptops & Notebooks by R_manic
Related resources

Best solution

January 29, 2010 1:31:04 PM

Not sure how hard you looked or what e-tailer you are buying from but here are two possibilities...

Check out the HP Pavilion dv6-2180us NoteBook which seems to fit your specs.

For a lot less money, there is the Acer Ferrari One FO200 netbook but sans the DVD drive.

Aside from the pre-loads and bloatware, the HP seems like a nice machine...although Acer is nothing to sneeze at either.

My experience has been, especially with portable devices, that it is ultimately cheaper to buy a laptop or note/netbook than it is to build one.

However, if you insist on building your own portable, there are sites like www.directron.org, www.ocztechnology.com, and http://laptoplogic.com where you can purchase parts, barebones, and DIY kits.

Good luck!
a b D Laptop
January 29, 2010 5:37:33 PM

NO. NO. NO.

BUY A SONY VAIO SR.

It has all the specs you need and more.

you can upgrade it to up to 8GB RAM.

its thin

and it has an awesome graphics card for its size!
February 5, 2010 2:19:06 AM

Best answer selected by Goldy581.
!